So basically i have been peeking at sales and auctions for a while cause i feel like snatching a nice guitar to play around with.

So there comes this:
http://i.imgur.com/wO6aH00.jpg
The guitar goes for pretty cheap starting price(100$), seller claims it's from 80's either japan or england.
You could as well say its a cheap china crap, but what makes me curious about this guitar and its worth:
- grover tuners(they are visible on another photo), worth around 80$ themselves
- headstock is typical for guitars that are worth at least something
- the humbucker looks like some vintage stuff, honestly first time i see one
- the neck is claimed to be maple, along with fingerboard
- metal knobs
- there is a serial number on metal plate back of the neck

The name is strange, only stingray i have heard of is the base made by musicman.
Did anyone seen something like that? I gotta say this axe is a beauty and i really feel like taking it.
Last edited by tokkyuuressha at May 4, 2014,
Screw it, for 100 bucks how bad could it really be? Who knows, it could play better than anything you have with a proper set up and sound better than anything you have with upgraded electronics.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I mean i have a yamaha rgx 121s now, and while it is a fine guitar a man gets bored with everything, so i was looking around for another one.
Whenever it comes to buying (not only) guitars, I always felt catching a nice unknown model is better than going for the same tried and true squiers ibanezes etc, and I was really damn eager to get a nice vintage japan/korea made guitar. This one is a beauty and dont you think it looks like it could be as good as my current?

When it comes to setup and electronics im a trained electrician so every guitar that comes in my hands is pimped big time
You can sometimes grab a bargain,My MIJ Tele is very nice,I got that for £120 with Grovers on and the electrics have been modded,Turns out it's a 84/85 model,Plays nice.
Thing that makes me curious is the humbucker pickup, I've never seen this particular shape before. Any idea?
My guess is that this is a store-brand knockoff of a 1980s Charvel/Jackson strat copy. Grovers mean nothing; they might be replacements. The rest is just cosmetics. Personally I would steer clear; you might be getting a nice obscure MIJ guitar, but it’s probably just a trash Korean starter guitar.
Quote by tokkyuuressha
I mean i have a yamaha rgx 121s now, and while it is a fine guitar a man gets bored with everything, so i was looking around for another one.
Whenever it comes to buying (not only) guitars, I always felt catching a nice unknown model is better than going for the same tried and true squiers ibanezes etc, and I was really damn eager to get a nice vintage japan/korea made guitar. This one is a beauty and dont you think it looks like it could be as good as my current?

When it comes to setup and electronics im a trained electrician so every guitar that comes in my hands is pimped big time

There's your answer, buy it and hot rod it. Anyone that has a different opinion is just boring
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Interestingly enough it looks like the pickup (shape at least) is a take on a Musicman Stringray bass pickup.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Looks like a Charvel/Jakson copy to me. Stingray isn't a familiar brand to me, so I think it may be a cheaper model that a store buys and then puts its own brand on (like musicstore does with Fame amplifiers - a lot of them are rebranded Laboga amps and quite good).
Ask the seller for background info, just in case.

Might be a good project guitar for modding to hell and back.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 7, 2014,