Need help finding equipment for live sound and recording purposes. First timer here.

I've got some disposable income and I'm interested in creating live sound. What basic equipment is necessary to create a decent live sound as an electric guitarist that can also carry over for home studio recording purposes? I'm totally new to the whole thing and none of my research is helping me understand it. I couldn't find a thread or sticky dedicated to live sound so I'm just posting my own thread.

What I have:
Squier Bullet Strat (inB4: I'm a poor college student, give me a break)
Peavy Transtube 110 amp
Two 1/4 in. guitar cables

What I think I need:
A mic for my vocals
A mic for my guitar/amp (for recording, the 1x10 should be loud enough for small venues I think)
mic accessories
A mixer?
A PA system? With monitors?
Headphones?
A DAW?
An audio interface?
A multi-track recorder?

Budget is <$500 USD (like I said, I'm poor)

I think what I really need is a resource to explain things to me. Musician's friend has some cool articles but they don't make sense. I've found ChemicalFire's thread on recording equipment but that's a little confusing too.

Wat do?
First buy a real guitar, then a decent amp. Nothing will make your amp/guitar sound good.
Quote by coman91

Wat do?

Save up, then come back here and maybe we can help more.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
I know, and I've been considering that but I thought I could continue into recording in spite of that. Maybe I'll just do that instead, then. Are these more on par? Not necessarily considering buying from Musician's friend but theyre what I've been looking at.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-deluxe-roadhouse-stratocaster-electric-guitar/h99557

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-champion-100-guitar-combo-amp
Quote by Wormholes
First buy a real guitar

How do you know it's not an 80's MIJ version?
Quote by coman91
I know, and I've been considering that but I thought I could continue into recording in spite of that. Maybe I'll just do that instead, then. Are these more on par? Not necessarily considering buying from Musician's friend but theyre what I've been looking at.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-deluxe-roadhouse-stratocaster-electric-guitar/h99557

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-champion-100-guitar-combo-amp

Nope, if you are really strapped for cash buy used. I bet you could get away with a 250 -300 dollar mexican strat and a low end tube amp. If you want to record and play live do NOT get that amp you linked, its solid state.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by 457undead
Nope, if you are really strapped for cash buy used. I bet you could get away with a 250 -300 dollar mexican strat and a low end tube amp. If you want to record and play live do NOT get that amp you linked, its solid state.

Solid state doesn't mean it's bad. I would recommend a used classic vibe series guitar and a used excelsior amp. Then save up for that other stuff
banned
Quote by 457undead
If you want to record and play live do NOT get that amp you linked, its solid state.

Oh. You're one of those people.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
Oh. You're one of those people.

For gigging and recording? of course you do not want a solid state amp.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by 457undead

haa
it's all coming back

Quote by 457undead

tube amps are just a trick that amp companies use to get gullible people like you to buy an amp for three or four or nine times the cost that doesn't sound better
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
tube amps are just a trick that amp companies use to get gullible people like you to buy an amp for three or four or nine times the cost that doesn't sound better

tell that to GG&A
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Yes, because they know everything.

And I'm sure they will agree that there are some pretty good solid state amps out there.
it's all coming back

Quote by 457undead
tell that to GG&A

gg&a all work for the amp companies though

that's why they perpetuate the myth
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Sometimes tube amps can be tough to capture their beauty when recording. That's why a lot of players turn to Guitar Rig and other programs to enhance it. That's pretty common as far as studio recording goes.