what would the advantages/disadvantages of a lefty bridge on a right handed strat be? im just curious as to whether having the tremolo bar on the top side of the bridge as opposed to the bottom side would grant any sort of improvement, seeing as how the bar would be at an easier to reach location. i have seen srv with this sort of set-up, and of course jimi would have the same type of thing on his guitars too. any thoughts? Thanks.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
It's only as good and convenient as you think it is.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
it could get in the way of your picking arm. and there is probably a good reason that they are as they are, and have been since the 50's (bigsbys)

some people feel the need to be unique, if thats you, go for it if you can get it to work.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
it could get in the way of your picking arm. and there is probably a good reason that they are as they are, and have been since the 50's (bigsbys)

some people feel the need to be unique, if thats you, go for it if you can get it to work.

I don't think that it's because I want to feel unique, but reaching all of the way down quickly to the trem bar can be hard and sometimes messes me up and I normally accidentally switch pickups while doing it.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by 457undead
I don't think that it's because I want to feel unique, but reaching all of the way down quickly to the trem bar can be hard and sometimes messes me up and I normally accidentally switch pickups while doing it.

i wasn't referring to you at all. sorry i didn't make that clear.

you can get used to it.

if it was on the top, it would go in a downward position resting where you may be picking. i think it would get in the way. but i haven't tried it. it could be great.

but from my schooling and just life experience, that you can always try something different, but a good portion of times they did it for a reason. for example, ergonomics (this idea), manufacturing cost cutting, and customer feedback.

if you would do such, i would be interested to see it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i wasn't referring to you at all. sorry i didn't make that clear.

you can get used to it.

if it was on the top, it would go in a downward position resting where you may be picking. i think it would get in the way. but i haven't tried it. it could be great.

but from my schooling and just life experience, that you can always try something different, but a good portion of times they did it for a reason. for example, ergonomics (this idea), manufacturing cost cutting, and customer feedback.

if you would do such, i would be interested to see it.

If I try it, I will make another thread and tell you what I think .

Isn't it true that I would have to route the guitar to put the bridge in?

Edit: I did not realize bridges cost that much money.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Last edited by 457undead at May 5, 2014,
Quote by 457undead
If I try it, I will make another thread and tell you what I think .

Isn't it true that I would have to route the guitar to put the bridge in?

i have no idea. likely yes. i am not a wood craftsman, i do easy things like speaker cabs and pedal boards, but i woudn't personally have the balls to route a guitar.

maybe search to see if there gives you a pattern.

also once you do flip it if you do, and wanted to change back, you would have routed holes left over.

do squer bullets have a trem? if so you can find one for $40-$50 and not wreck anything decent.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Wouldn't it get in the way when you're doing palm mutes at the bridge?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup

do squer bullets have a trem? if so you can find one for $40-$50 and not wreck anything decent.

Do you think a strat copy with trem would work also?

Quote by Cathbard

Wouldn't it get in the way when you were doing palm mutes at the bridge?

Not sure, but I wouldn't imagine it being much of a problem if the trem is straight down and normally people don't play guitar 100 percent horizontally they play guitar with a slight slant meaning it would be even more out of the way.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Last edited by 457undead at May 5, 2014,
Go into a shop, flip over a lefty and see where everything sits. You don't have to play it to get a good idea of what's where, you just have to hold it and go through the motions..
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Wouldn't it get in the way when you're doing palm mutes at the bridge?

that was what i was thinking, a bar hanging down right over the bridge would jjust get in the way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by 457undead
Do you think a strat copy with trem would work also?

Not sure, but I wouldn't imagine it being much of a problem if the trem is straight down and normally people don't play guitar 100 percent horizontally they play guitar with a slight slant meaning it would be even more out of the way.

strat copy would be fine as long as you can get a tremolo to fit.

also intonation may be really difficult.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I do not see practicality in this project. It seems quite obvious to me that it is not going to work out well. The bar would be precisely where I would want to rest my hand while playing. Maybe you have have different technique though and can't envisage this obstacle, I'm not sure.

I think you should just work on your whammy bar technique and learn not to hit the pickup selector.

My opinion aside I did find this informative thread on the topic for you that you might like to read. Some good info: http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/tech-talk/27560-reversing-tremolo-like-stevie-ray-had.html
As soon as I saw the title, one man goes to mind:

The strat's bridge looks like it isn't symmetrical, and you need to drill / route if you're gonna place a lefty bridge.

EDIT:
Quote by wildozer
My opinion aside I did find this informative thread on the topic for you that you might like to read. Some good info: http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/tech-talk/27560-reversing-tremolo-like-stevie-ray-had.html

^ yeah, that site is very informative. though I think It's against the rules to mention the other forums
Last edited by Bluebit at May 5, 2014,
Quote by 457undead
what would the advantages/disadvantages of a lefty bridge on a right handed strat be? im just curious as to whether having the tremolo bar on the top side of the bridge as opposed to the bottom side would grant any sort of improvement, seeing as how the bar would be at an easier to reach location. i have seen srv with this sort of set-up, and of course jimi would have the same type of thing on his guitars too. any thoughts? Thanks.

Hendrix played that way out of necessity, not because there was any advantage to it. Left-handed guitars were difficult to get hold of, if not impossible back then. There's nothing wrong with the positioning of your trem arm or pickup switch, the problem is solely down to a lack of experience. Using a trem is fiddly and it takes a lot of getting used to before you comfortably incorprate it into your playing smoothly. Until then it's always going to feel like a massive speedbump when playing and that bar will seem like it's miles away.

I'm assuming Stevie did it as a tribute to Jimi but unless you're as good as he was at playing that style you'll just look like a bit of a dick
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by trashedlostfdup
strat copy would be fine as long as you can get a tremolo to fit.

also intonation may be really difficult.

Why do you think that intonation is a problem? Besides, even if everyone says that it may not be a good idea, it's still a great first project to try that under $100. And if I like it enough maybe I would upgrade it even more with a new neck, etc. The idea of having a guitar that I can do anything to sounds awesome.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by 457undead

Practice will help with that. There are also shorter bars that will make a difference. Might consider getting a guitar with a different pickup selector switch location as well. Some players snag the bar with their little finger on their picking hand before they need it and keep it handy. You don't need to go for the grab JUST when you need it. Before you start messing with the position of the bar, consider developing technique (it saves you a LOT of money in the long run, trust me). When grabbing the bar, teach your fingers to look for the base of the bar first, rather than the tip.

While you're thinking this stuff through, take a look at the Kahler trem, which can be had with a short palm bar (though the palm bars are harder to come by these days). The older models were often ambidextrous and actually had screw holes for lefty bars built in (the new ones not so much). The palm bar is a much shorter arm that was perfect for use with your palm (surprise!). Some people had *both* bars on their trems:

While you're at this business of routing guitars, note that the Fender (and the Floyd) require you to rout not only the top of the guitar, but the backside as well (for the spring cavity). There are templates available that will help your router along (read carefully what kind of bit you're going to want to use with a template).

The Kahler rout is only on the top of the guitar and only about 3/4" - 1" deep. No carving of the back of the guitar at all. I've actually seen guitars that were originally set up with Kahlers whose subsequent owners had the routs filled in and the guitar modified to hard tail.

Another thing about the Kahlers is that you can now buy various materials for the saddles (these will affect tone and sustain slightly) when you order, and you can buy newer hybrid models that allow you to lock the bridge down as a hard tail or unlock it and use it as a trem. It's much lower profile than, say, a Floyd Rose, and it's a lot less sensitive to variations caused by heavy-handed palm muting. It's also MUCH less likely that you'll pull other strings flat when you do deep bends, as happens with Floyd and Fender guitars. Check out www.wammiworld.com They're probably the premier supplier of Kahlers and Kahler parts.
Quote by dspellman
While you're at this business of routing guitars, note that the Fender (and the Floyd) require you to rout not only the top of the guitar, but the backside as well (for the spring cavity). There are templates available that will help your router along (read carefully what kind of bit you're going to want to use with a template).

The Kahler rout is only on the top of the guitar and only about 3/4" - 1" deep. No carving of the back of the guitar at all. I've actually seen guitars that were originally set up with Kahlers whose subsequent owners had the routs filled in and the guitar modified to hard tail.

Another thing about the Kahlers is that you can now buy various materials for the saddles (these will affect tone and sustain slightly) when you order, and you can buy newer hybrid models that allow you to lock the bridge down as a hard tail or unlock it and use it as a trem. It's much lower profile than, say, a Floyd Rose, and it's a lot less sensitive to variations caused by heavy-handed palm muting. It's also MUCH less likely that you'll pull other strings flat when you do deep bends, as happens with Floyd and Fender guitars. Check out www.wammiworld.com They're probably the premier supplier of Kahlers and Kahler parts.

Thanks for the suggestion but, $300+ for the bridge alone? That's bridge is worth more than my entire main guitar.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by 457undead
Thanks for the suggestion but, $300+ for the bridge alone? That's bridge is worth more than my entire main guitar.

I noticed that you edited a previous post with "I didn't realize that bridges cost that much money..."

At the moment, you realize, this is more discussion than practical where your particular guitar is concerned. There aren't many people playing guitar with a wrong-handed bridge for a reason. And just because Jimi (or Stevie) did it isn't a good enough reason to do so (IMHO). Stevie also played with some monster strings that made his fingers bleed for a while, then went back to a different lighter gauge.

Not only is the bridge expensive, but you've also got to consider accurate installation in your costs. I've got several of those bridges on guitars that date to the late '80's, and you'll find those guitars popping upon CL and eBay, often for at or less than what the new bridge would cost.
The hardware on my tele cost twice what the guitar itself cost. I don't see a problem.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was just reading about Jimi Hendrix and why although he could get a lefty he used right hand tremolos and guitars. If you watch him on YouTube he keeps the knobs where he can get to them without moving his hand away and he modified the whammy bar so it could go 3 (that was three) steps. And if you think about it, it could be easier to get to, but for us normal people, I think that if you want to try it remember Jimi and Stevie basically slept with their guitars and practiced anytime they were awake. So I found a really cheap wantabe Strat on EBay for $10 ( case included) that I'm going to try it on and see how it goes. Let you know soon.
Thanks for your great blog!!!