So i have been playing rhythm guitar in my latest band for a while now and recently the lead guitarist has been wanting to pass some duties onto myself as he also sings a couple of songs now.

I really only use 2 pedals upto now, a Bluesdriver and analogue delay. I play normally with the Bluesdriver on giving me the main sound then when playing a solo or riff, i add the delay. The delay sound doesnt increase the volume enough for my liking and my solo or riff doesnt go higher into the mix (its a El Nano Memory Toy delay pedal).

I was round at a mates last night who says he would use a Boost to increase the sound of the solo. The tone would be much the same but just louder?

Im a bit of a noob when it comes to pedals so still unsure about a lot of them and what they really do so just checking if the boost pedal would be what i should get?

thanks
A clean boost is what you're after, you're pretty much spoiled for choice.

http://proguitarshop.com/effects/boost-pedals.html?p=3

If price isn't really an issue, the Xotic booster is really nice.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
A clean boost is what you're after, you're pretty much spoiled for choice.

http://proguitarshop.com/effects/boost-pedals.html?p=3

If price isn't really an issue, the Xotic booster is really nice.

Great thanks....

Price isnt an issue because i would rather spend on the best even if it takes me longer to save for it. Is there a real noticeable difference though with Boosts though? If its just amplifying the sound a bit more, i dont what the difference would be?

Again im an pedal noob so any extra info is great !

thanks again
With a clean boost, the idea is to literally just make the same sound but louder with very little colouration. If that's what you're after, that is. IMO the Xotic does a great job of this.

If you want a little more gain + volume + a tone colouration, grab an overdrive pedal like a Tubescreamer or a Digitech Bad Monkey.

Depending on you set it up, it can either be really subtle or it can massively different.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
With a clean boost, the idea is to literally just make the same sound but louder with very little colouration. If that's what you're after, that is. IMO the Xotic does a great job of this.

If you want a little more gain + volume + a tone colouration, grab an overdrive pedal like a Tubescreamer or a Digitech Bad Monkey.

Depending on you set it up, it can either be really subtle or it can massively different.

Super thanks for the info,

I think i just want it to make the same tone but louder during solo's or riffs. I am going to youtube some models.

Do you know if the Boss model of the Boost is any good? The reason i like Boss is cause its easier to press with your feet compared to some.. (that may sound a bit strange lol)
...this sorta depends what yor playing through and where you put the boost.

If you have a tube amp and put your boost in front your gunna push the tubes a little harder adding more distortion. This is basically a good thing....

I do this in two ways...

*one with a boss EQ pedal..this way I can add a Little extra top mids which is good for breaking through the mix. This one doesn´t alter tone that much and seems more sterile, and can be used for o much more
* the other is with my blackstar boost...this one has Controls for volume, bass and treble and adds some nice warmth seeing that it adds an extra tube. The downside is that it´s massive, needs a 16V pwer supply and will be in need of a tube change every year or so

...if your lucky like me and have a good guitar shop they´ll let you take one home and give it a test ride...that is alway´s the best sollution to finding the gear you´ll be satisfied with...but unfortunatelly not Always an option
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by supershedseven
Price isnt an issue because i would rather spend on the best even if it takes me longer to save for it.
ZVex super hard on.
Killer shit.
Quote by supershedseven
Is there a real noticeable difference though with Boosts though? If its just amplifying the sound a bit more, i dont what the difference would be?
Have you ever trying a bad sounding amp?
It sounds worse than a good sounding amp even if it's just amplifying the sound more.

Thing is, if you want a really clean amp, get a good quality class D monoblock.
Since you're most likely not into class D monoblocks and you don't really want a power amplifier though let's get to a brief explanation under the form of a conversation:

What do boost pedals do?
Well they amplify your signal, making it louder.
Oh, only that?
Yeah, they all do the same thing if they're only boosts.
How about the pedals that are not only boosts?
They may have onboard EQs to make your sound stand out a bit more (see "treble booster)
So why would I get an expansive boost instead of a cheap one if it's only a boost?
You see, even though the result is the same (making your signal louder), they all do that in more or less different ways, and the more expensive ones usually either sound better or work technically better, sometimes both.

You'll likely to notice the difference between good ones and bad ones because of the added noise if you're boosting a heavily distorted amp, and you can even notice a more or less drastic change in the actual sound if you're playing through a clean or lightly distorted amp.
So, I'd go there and try some boosts for myself, though if you have the money and you trust our ears more than yours, the xotic booster and the super hard on are pretty amazing pedals.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You can always try using your bd2 as a boost, just to see how it works and whether you like it. it's pretty transparent and has a fair bit of boost on tap (if my digitech screamin blues is anything to go by, it's a glorified bd2, far as i'm aware). Just turn the drive knob to zero and use the level/volume knob as a boost knob.

Quote by Blackst4r
...this sorta depends what yor playing through and where you put the boost.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Solid Gold FX Nitro is a very nice boost
Redwitch Famulus is very nice too
Earthquaker devices blackeye is a pure boost that is nice
Empress multidrive and/or paraeq boost and both great
Everything stated before is right
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
TS - what kind of amp are you using?

you have a blues driver right? have you ever turn the gain down low and the volume WAY up, maxed? thats similar to what a clean boost will do but way better.

some like treble boosters change the tone, or some have EQ adjustments. the xotic EP booster is AWESOME. its really hard to say anything bad about it (not really suited for harder music or metal though) but it is supposed to emulate an echoplex preamp which did have slight tonal coloration. it has just a tad bit of EQ change.

a boost pedal should most likely have no less than 15 DB on tap, generally 20. 30 is really high. above 30 and you most likely going to harm your amp. somewhere around 5-10 should make you LOUDER. loud enough to stand out. 10-15 should cause the front end of a tube amp to break up. and 20, well im not really sure there a reason to max out a boost. kinda overdoing it.

clean boosts are great and have so many applications. however, many players you different types of overdrive or stack them together to get both volume and gain boosts, or perhaps the OD adds some compression, etc that makes the lean tone change. most overdrives have EQ differences.

so really its what you are looking to get out. i personally have the amp channel select, OD, and a boost. the 3 combined can yield many different tones with the different combinations.

in fact, i consider my compressor a type of boost. many times compressors have enough signal on tap to boost an amp, or the compression alone can alter a lead tone. i would definitely consider my compressor on top of the amp, OD and Boost to be a lead tone shaping tool.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)