Here is my situation:
Paull allender prs w/ active pickups. EMG 81tw/89 coil tappable combo:
No amp yet.

I went to the GC to try some amps. The first mistake i made was forgetting to bring my own guitar. So instead i used a Jim Root Strat with the EMG 81/85 pickup combo. Very similar from what i've been told. I don't want to spend much (like anyone else, right?) but i won't buy an amp that sucks. I was hoping the fender mustang wouldn't suck. Unfortunately it really didn't do anything for me. I did not like it. There was a Randall tube amp that sounded okay. The Fender Deluxe Reverb sounded pretty nice of course. I was also pretty impressed by the Fender Super Champ X2 and am definitely leaning in that direction.

Now for question:
Is there any reason to think that active pickups are a poor match with solid state amps? Do active pickups have disadvantages that are made more noticable when paired with a solid state amp? I thought there was a huge advantage in tube sound quality. I expected tubes to sound better but not necessarily THAT much better.

Secondary question: is there a huge difference in sound quality between mustang amps? I tried the 20w mustang 1. Would i have had better results with a mustang 3 or 4? Do the 3 and 4 sound as good as the Randall or the Super Champ?
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at May 5, 2014,
The Super Champ XD is a SS amp up front and a tube amp on the back end. So with the XD you are driving a SS amp with your pickups. In my experience the XD has plenty of headroom on the input section and will handle your EMGs just fine. BTW I also have the PRS PA w/ EMGs and the SCXD.
Quote by paul.housley.7
Is there any reason to think that active pickups are a poor match with solid state amps?
Nope, if the amp's good.
Quote by paul.housley.7
Do active pickups have disadvantages that are made more noticable when paired with a solid state amp?
You could overdrive the pre section with active p/ups and the thing would sound pretty bad on a solid state amp, so just check it doesn't do that.
Just strum really hard on the lowest string and chug a bit of stuff on the cleanest setting and see if you get a harsh distorted sound.
If you don't, and you'll probably don't, you're alright.

Quote by paul.housley.7
Secondary question: is there a huge difference in sound quality between mustang amps? I tried the 20w mustang 1. Would i have had better results with a mustang 3 or 4? Do the 3 and 4 sound as good as the Randall or the Super Champ?
Well not sure if huge but big - the mustang 1 has a cheap small speaker that has all of the disadvantages of a small speaker because it's small, and none of a small speaker's advantages because it's cheap and a big speaker wannabe.

Try the mustang III, which also has a cleaner and clearer panel.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by fly135
The Super Champ XD is a SS amp up front and a tube amp on the back end. So with the XD you are driving a SS amp with your pickups. In my experience the XD has plenty of headroom on the input section and will handle your EMGs just fine. BTW I also have the PRS PA w/ EMGs and the SCXD.

that makes you sorta like my mentor now. or sensei maybe. teach me to shred sensei.

in all seriousness i was torn on getting the allender because i wasn't sure about active pickups. i think my ultimate guitar would feel like a prs but sound more like a strat. The price was extremely good though - and i didn't mind trying active pickups considering how good it feels to play.

So spambot... i have a little bit of background on signal amplification (electronics technician at one time) and i think that there may be some sense to your idea about overdriving the pre-amp section. I don't know if that's the case or not but it does seem to me that the process of modeling an amp probably requires that some assumptions be made about the strength of the input signal. It should be easy to design a pre section that can accept a range of different inputs but that doesn't necessarily mean that the amp was designed to accomodate that. It might be a cost-cutting measure to pick op amps that have close tolerances and maybe start to suffer degraded performance when driven by an active pickup guitar.

In any event i didn't seem to have that sort of problem with the super champ and i really liked the super champ.
There's really no issue with actives on a solid state preamp. Even the overdrive pedals live within the same restrictions on input signal.
No problem with a Super Champ XD/X2. It handles active, passive and pedals fine (within reason). If you really tried you could probably overload the front end of the amp with too much gain but I have never experienced it. If you do, turn down the guitar or OD pedal a bit to eliminate input clipping.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY