I recently started fixing a broken Ibanez Gio for an employee of mine.

When i got the guitar, the pocket had been destroyed. the part that the neck screwed to actually pulled out when i took the guitar. Apparently the opwner got upset and broke the guitar, and his girlfriend is paying me to fix it.

So, scouring the internet, I found some people who have fixed NJFC's, and othe surface problems, so Taking there advice, I glued it in place.

After letting it sit in the clamps for a few days, I've also filled some screw holes the previous owner had made when actually screwing it back together (poor thing)

So, I shall update this more as I go.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Not trying to troll, but wouldn't it be a much easier and probably a better solution just to replace it? They aren't exactly the most expensive guitars around, a used one would probably cost as much as the repair at a shop. It looks like you're doing a good job on it, I'm honestly just curious as to why they're choosing to repair it.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Honestly, I don't know why they want this one fixed up, but I am getting paid for it, so i really don't ask questions lol. I know it was his first guitar, but I don't know much beyond that.

Frankly, I'm happy to do the work, it makes for good practice.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Quote by abyssspecter
Honestly, I don't know why they want this one fixed up, but I am getting paid for it, so i really don't ask questions lol. I know it was his first guitar, but I don't know much beyond that.

Frankly, I'm happy to do the work, it makes for good practice.

now this is the right attitude ... way to many people in this day and age just think "oh it's broken, i'll just get a new one" .... no better way to learn stuff than by doing stuff
Cripes, this is quite brave. It reminds me of a story about one of Kirk Hammett's guitars, which had the headstock repaired repeatedly (including a few screws to hold it together).

Good luck!
fixes like this work surprisingly well. glad to see it repaired
Not taking any online orders.
fixing surface damage is done now, and im about to begin preparation for finishing.

I filled in the cracks and gaps i couldn't fill with wood-scrap, to finish leveling the surface.

Sooper bad picture, but this is basically showing the finished body after some 60, removing the putty.

You'll notice the guitar IS hanging, so it seems the repair is holding fine (considering neck is lighter than body, in this case.

Now I move on to sanding it up to 1000, and then matching the black finish to the rest of the body (because apparently the customer wants to keep a different indention, lower on the body. Don't know why, but that whole Challenge Accepted mode kicked in,)

Also, there is some scratches on the neck around the connection point that need be removed, as is a splinter missing from the neck, just barley visible, but enough to annoy me. So that's getting fixed.

Anywho, thanks for the comments
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
So, a question.
I have since filled most holes, and used Elmers brand Interior wood filler to close up cracks on the surface level. But after sanding it back down to what "should' have been even and getting layer 1 of primer down on it, I noticed that the filler had shrunk in.

My question, after sanding it back down and putting some Titebond II in it, is will the glue fill these cracks good enough, or will i need different filler to fix my issue? i don't need it for any structural stand point, its purely cosmetic now, so, if that helps...

Thank you in advance
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Any glue or filler that dries rather than cures will shrink as it losses moisture. So wood glues and 1 part wood filler are not a good choice.

Wood fillers that are 2 part fillers, meaning you mix a little of chemical a with chemical b are actually a type of epoxy and those won't shrink. Or you could just use regular run of the mill 5min epoxy. Mix up a very small amount and use an old credit card or something similar like a squeege to scrape off as much as you can. This will require little if any sanding afterwards where fillers will require quite a bit of sanding.

As a side note don't use titebond II on guitars. Original titebond is great on guitars but there are several reasons titebond II shouldn't be used including but not limited to it's spongey when it dries, and it has a tendency to creep when it gets warm.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Tony Done
And a lot of us fix stuff even when it ain't broke.

ain't that the truth
Quote by sytharnia1560
ain't that the truth

Hell, if I didn't fix unbroken things, I wouldn't have learned as much as i have.

So I got some 5 minute epoxy, mixed it, and filled the surface cracks, and then sanded it back. So, tomorrow, we paint!
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Here is my update. As you can see by the up close pictures, the surface blemishes arnt completely gone, but they should be after another dose of epoxy.

Front, just over from the neck pocket.

Back, from the neck holes to the tremolo route.

Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Last edited by abyssspecter at May 17, 2014,
So, heres a small update about this:

painting is getting close to finished, so I will be finishing that, and cutting the cavity holes in the next week. It is schedules to be finished around the 20th if all goes right.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.