So recently my amp (40w ashdown fallen angel 112) has been having some issues (it sounds kinda farty/thin/no where near as ballsy as it used to but thats a topic for another thread).

I'm suspecting it might be a tube problem but due to the costs of replacing them i figured this might just be a good time to upgrade.

budget is around £400

now my first thought was to get a Peavey 6505 112 combo for about £368
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_6505_plus_112_combo.htm

as aside from potentially needing a speaker upgrade down the line i've heard nothing but good things about them.

alternatively i was considering getting the harley benton 212 cab
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

and then a head with the remainder of the budget (probably a bugera 6260 or something similar)
http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_6260_infinium.htm

having the head-cab is kind of appealing for portability reasons, being able to just take the head to gigs if they have a cab there and getting a cheap 112 cab to leave at practice locations so i don't have to lug a combo around and up and down stairs would be convenient.

Now i was wondering if anyone could suggest some alternatives around that budget that i should check out before making any decisions. Preferably amps that are good all rounders as to generalise the genres I play, it goes from alt rock to metal.

cheers

Nath
I Am Hated
7 String Legion

Ibanez RG1527 prestige (BKP Aftermath)
Ibanez MTM2 black (rockmonkey SoB)
Ibanez MTM2 white (Blackout AHB-3)
Squier "custom" strat (Hot Slag)
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w 112
Pitchblack
TS-9
NS-2
MXR 10 band eq
Harley benton G212 vintage + jet city jca100HDM or whatever else jet city to which to add a depth knob (easy mod, google's your friend).

The 6505+ combo is nice indeed, yeah!
It may be better depending on what you wanna play exactly, so what you wanna play exactly?

Bugera amps in general have lotsa reliability issues.
They got better with the years but they still have problems so I wouldn't really gig with one of those.
At a gig I found a guy with a 2009-or-so 6260 that he told me he never had problems with, and both him and my guitarist played through it that night and we haven't had any problems - it even sounded pretty good!
Though it's not a thing I'd really gig with without having a backup amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
+1 on jet city- the 50 watt head if you want it to be as cheap as possible. combined with the g212 vintage, yeah. hard to beat that for £400.

haven't tried the cheaper 6505 MIC combo but the bigger USA-made heads are great.

haven't tried bugera but they have the rep of sounding pretty good but having iffy reliability.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
cheers for the tips gents, so it seems like the harley benton cab is a good bet.

So I've been reading good things about the jet city heads sound quality and build quality wise and mixed reports regarding the bugeras : / which is a shame because the infinium circuit sounds like it could save a lot of hassle having to take the amp to a tech for biasing as i like to do as much of my own teching as possible (mainly for financial reasons) and being able to just swap tubes in and out and be done sounds really handy.

i guess ill just have to decide if i want reliability or ease of maintenance

cheers

Nath
I Am Hated
7 String Legion

Pitchblack
TS-9
NS-2
MXR 10 band eq
Quote by 2841981
So I've been reading good things about the jet city heads sound quality and build quality wise and mixed reports regarding the bugeras
Thing is, bugeras sound good but have problems.
If you're not good at fixing stuff yourself get a jet city, it's not like it'll sound bad in any case...

Also the infinium thing in particular seems to have some problems so I'm not sure if I would buy one just for that reason.
Also, the Jet City 50w has 2 6L6s, it's not a big hassle to maintain.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
it's the biasing, i assume, not the cost of the 6L6es.

but yeah if you want to minimise maintenance, I'm not sure buying an amp which saves time on biasing but which might have other, far more serious, problems which might require far more involved maintenance, is the best plan...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's the biasing, i assume, not the cost of the 6L6es.

but yeah if you want to minimise maintenance, I'm not sure buying an amp which saves time on biasing but which might have other, far more serious, problems which might require far more involved maintenance, is the best plan...

yeah its the biasing that would be a problem i like to be as self sufficient as possible when it comes to maintaining my gear which is why the infinium auto biasing thing was appealing but i understand whet you mean regarding the supposed issues with bugera meaning i might not even get to the point where i need to retube.
I Am Hated
7 String Legion

Pitchblack
TS-9
NS-2
MXR 10 band eq
Bugera's sound great but have horrible reliability. I owned a 333 and had nothing but issues over 3 years of owning it.

Jet City make great sounding heads.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 2841981
yeah its the biasing that would be a problem i like to be as self sufficient as possible when it comes to maintaining my gear which is why the infinium auto biasing thing was appealing but i understand whet you mean regarding the supposed issues with bugera meaning i might not even get to the point where i need to retube.

haha yeah

you could always look for cathode-biased heads. if any sound the way you want. they don't need to be biased, far as i'm aware. they tend to be more vintage-sounding amps, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?