Page 1 of 2
This should really already be established imo, but I just want to point it out.

There are really just ideal kinds of music listeners. And all listeners possess a mix of the qualities from both of these ideal models.

There is one end of the spectrum where the listeners enjoy Groove and Melody. Eg. Really pleasant and simplistic melodies or even possibly slightly complicated (But still enjoyable). They enjoy upbeat music (In addition to some other stuff) .Basically they only like to listen to stuff which sounds good to their ears.
i.e They're totally in it for the aesthetics of the sound and little else.

And then there are listeners who get excited by technical virtuosity. There is a certain thrill for them when the guitarist suddenly gets into an 8 finger tapping pattern/Shreds like there's no tomorrow or the drummer enters a blast-beat section. The thrill of having the knowledge of a 100 scales and knowing how to apply them on demand.

As I mentioned, these are the 'ideal' models. And therefore, all listeners will be a good mix of these two models.

And also, this is my personal reason for why we have those eternal 'Feel vs Technique' arguments. Different strokes for different folks.

Two points to clear up:

1)I mentioned the words Groove and Melody in the third paragraph. Some might argue that these are infact technical attributes of the music.

Ah well, some might even argue that everything in music can finally be boiled down to technicality since it requires knowledge of complementary notes to be able to make pleasant melodies. I realize that, but again I mention that they enjoy the music rather than the performance/skill of the player.

In the end, you know very well what I mean by that paragraph so please don't act like a dick about it.

2) Just as I mentioned the two models of listeners, I feel that there also exists, two models of the music which are the analogues of the listener models. There is no piece of music that has all feel and no technique and vice versa.

Cheers. And fire away the hate comments which I'm sure are coming..
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
Last edited by shawnkenneth at May 5, 2014,
Quote by willT08
what you're saying is there are people who have a brain and dipshit metal fans

Oh you don't like Metal?

That's okay.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

What point are you trying to make? That people like different things about music?
Quote by chrisyoonyoon
where i'm from it's very different with emotionships
So there is no such thing as music which emphasizes a complexity of groove, darker tones and depth of production over technical skill?

So what have I been listening to all these years!?!?!??!!?!?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at May 5, 2014,
Nah man you're narrowing it down too much. Do you honestly think the only reasons people ever listen to music are catchy hooks or technical virtuosity?
aslo if you're gonna say things are already established it helps to show when and who by
I think you could cover it with this spectrum: On the one side, you have people who listen to music because they like it, and on the other side, you have people who listen to music because they like it.

I think my spectrum is better.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by sickman411
Nah man you're narrowing it down too much. Do you honestly think the only reasons people ever listen to music are catchy hooks or technical virtuosity?

No, I do not think that.

I can understand why you'd think that I mean that though.
I've established two opposite ends of the spectrum and said that all listeners IRL fall in between.

It is impossible for any listener to be one of each ideal model.

It's like in science, where you establish a formula. But many a times, in reality there are various other factors to be considered before you can apply that formula.

That's just the ideal situation and the real thing is far from it.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

What about when I listen to a song because I think the words are funny?

HAHAH!
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Quote by Cing Krimson
What point are you trying to make? That people like different things about music?

Actually, there's no explicit point. But this theory comes useful when explaining other phenomena. eg. as I mentioned, those Feel vs Technique arguments and why different people enjoy different stuff.

Quote by Dwight.Schrute
What about when I listen to a song because I think the words are funny? HAHAH!

I know you're just trying to be funny, but in relation to your question, if that's the case then you're not really enjoying music but literature. It's similar to reading actual jokes.

Although, if you feel that the sounds are funny eg. "Boink" or "Twang", then it still comes under the first classification imo.

Quote by Baby Joel

I think my spectrum is better.

You're just ripping me off man. We're saying the same thing. I just went one step further and attempted to explain why that is .
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by willT08

Laughed aloud at work. Good show.

EDIT: Also, what you have is a hypothesis. Unless you've falsifiable tested your hypothesis, in which case I wanna see dat paperwork, holmes.
Last edited by JustRooster at May 5, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster

EDIT: Also, what you have is a hypothesis. Unless you've falsifiable tested your hypothesis, in which case I wanna see dat paperwork, holmes.

Nah, it' still just a hypothesis. My research isn't really as enough to justify it.
Sure, I'd give you the 'paperwork'. But I doubt you'd wanna sit through 4 hours of interview recordings.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

It shall go in the textbooks as Shawnkenneth theory along with the likes of Freud
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by shawnkenneth
or the drummer enters a blast-beat section.

U wot m8
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I don't really know why there is still a debate on feel vs technique.

Technique is a means to an end. If you are not technically capable of conveying what you want to convey on your instrument then you arguably need to work on your technique.

"Feel" is the finished result. "Feel" is what you personally take from the music. Without the technique, there would be no "feel".
I guess the point here is people make music suck by giving their opinions instead of letting it go to its destinations.
Whats goes around must come down
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ftfy!

Woah woah woah... I won't be having that fixed like that sam

I personally happen to like 70's prog, instrumental shred, jazz fusion, djent, EDM and lots inbetween so I won't have said that people who like EDM have no brain, I just like a wide variety of sounds.

Also inb4 "djent sucks, shred sucks, jazz fusion sucks, prog sucks" etc
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
that was kinda dumb. ideal according to you doesn't make for everyone, mate. how do you know non music players wont get floored by virtuosity? i may not play fb, but i sure can appreciate a well thrown pass or a broken tackle
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by ProgFripp74
Woah woah woah... I won't be having that fixed like that sam

I personally happen to like 70's prog, instrumental shred, jazz fusion, djent, EDM and lots inbetween so I won't have said that people who like EDM have no brain, I just like a wide variety of sounds.

Also inb4 "djent sucks, shred sucks, jazz fusion sucks, prog sucks" etc

I share most of these tastes too (All the really generic Djent bands ripping off the good bands like STS, AAL or Periphery, I can live without personally, but eh, to each their own), but eh, his spectrum's not that far off.

Most people seem to fall into either of those extremes (blah blah I don't like dissonant music/pop music sucks it's too simple), but the ones who fall in between are generally my idea of an ideal listener. Someone who can appreciate the beauty in the ugliness, but with an appreciation of simple beauties.

Because of this, I'm as comfortable listening to stuff like ABBA as I am listening to stuff like Animals As Leaders.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ftfy!

I know it was a joke but it doesn't even make sense
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Where does noise fit into this?

I don't think this hypothesis makes much sense for me...
I didn't think anybody listened to music for technicality in the playing. It's about the sound the technicality produces, the meaning behind the fast bits.
Quote by willT08

/thread
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by blearyepoch
I didn't think anybody listened to music for technicality in the playing. It's about the sound the technicality produces, the meaning behind the fast bits.

Well, but then there's people like Ian who will stop liking a synth solo because it turns out it's in A minor. And not even going that far, I was never into technicality so correct me if I'm wrong, but some people do take some level of enjoyment from how good the instrumentalists supposedly are.
Quote by shawnkenneth
I've established two opposite ends of the spectrum

No, you've established what you allege to be two distinct points and claimed them as opposite ends, quite a different thing.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Those hypothesis are too narrow, when studying people there's always a hundred things that affect the result.
With people getting upset about 10 different subgenres of metal, giving all music only 2 main aspects seems too much of a generalisation to me.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by sickman411
Well, but then there's people like Ian who will stop liking a synth solo because it turns out it's in A minor. And not even going that far, I was never into technicality so correct me if I'm wrong, but some people do take some level of enjoyment from how good the instrumentalists supposedly are.

Pretty much. Do people listen to Satriani cos he's a great song writer? Nope, he's terrible
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by steve_muse
Pretty much. Do people listen to Satriani cos he's a great song writer? Nope, he's terrible

He's decent enough, I mean the melodies and chord structures of his pieces are nice I guess. He's not the shittiest songwriter out there. Though claiming he had a hand in a Coldplay song might be a bit much for me to swallow.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
I agree with TS, but there's another distinction to be made.

I don't really have the feel for lyrics, it's all about the melody and the groove for me. So far, I havent heard a single song that I can remember of which the lyrics impressed me.
retarded theory from a retarded guy

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2