Hi all I have been playing guitar for a month and I love it. I am currently borrowing my friend's Fender Squire but I want to buy my own guitar. I have narrowed by choices down to two guitars. The first one is a Epiphone G400 I have always loved the SG body style and from what I have read it is a solid guitar. The other option is a Schecter Omen Extreme Six. From what I have read it also a great guitar for the money. The kind of music that I will be playing will range from classic rock to heavy metal. I appreciate all kinds of feed back.

Links to both guitars

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-1966-G-400-PRO-Electric-Guitar-107605636-i2257297.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Omen-Extreme-6-Electric-Guitar-520221-i1435750.gc?esid=520221.001
Do you think you'll be playing more classic rock or heavy metal? What exactly do you mean (list a few bands) by classic rock and heavy metal?

The schecter might be slightly better for heavier stuff with the longer scale length while the epi might sound slightly better for the classic stuff. But that won't trump personal preference (for things like the neck shape etc.). You're lucky your friend has lent you his/her guitar because it means you can learn to play a little first before forking out for a guitar, and it gives you a little insight into what you might like in your guitar.

Can you go to the guitar shop to try them?

What are you going to do for an amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Do you think you'll be playing more classic rock or heavy metal? What exactly do you mean (list a few bands) by classic rock and heavy metal?

The schecter might be slightly better for heavier stuff with the longer scale length while the epi might sound slightly better for the classic stuff. But that won't trump personal preference (for things like the neck shape etc.). You're lucky your friend has lent you his/her guitar because it means you can learn to play a little first before forking out for a guitar, and it gives you a little insight into what you might like in your guitar.

Can you go to the guitar shop to try them?

What are you going to do for an amp?

Yeah I'm planning on going to a GuitarCenter sometime in the next week or two. As for an amp I'm planning on running an Orange Crush Pix Series 20w 1x8. When I meant classic rock I was referring to Guns n Roses, AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. As for metal bands such as Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold and Megadeth.
sweet

it's really up to you regarding the guitar- none of that metal is particuarly heavy, and none of the classic rock particularly light (though early led zep was a telecaster). You could play either on either, I'm guessing, in other words.

i haven't tried the orange crush. normally the regulars around here recommend a modelling amp since they have a wider range of tones (e.g. peavey vypyr, which i haven't tried either ), but the crush might well be fine (most of those tones you listed are marshally).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet

it's really up to you regarding the guitar- none of that metal is particuarly heavy, and none of the classic rock particularly light (though early led zep was a telecaster). You could play either on either, I'm guessing, in other words.

i haven't tried the orange crush. normally the regulars around here recommend a modelling amp since they have a wider range of tones (e.g. peavey vypyr, which i haven't tried either ), but the crush might well be fine (most of those tones you listed are marshally).

Awesome basically it sounds like it will come down to my preference and whichever one is the best after I play them. I'm also running a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal if that makes any difference between the two guitars.
The DS-1 is immaterial. Both guitars are fine.

I've stayed away from SGs for three reasons:

One, I'm not in love with the body shape.

Two, the little cutaway horns are too close to the fretboard for my hands; in order to play the upper frets, I need to rotate my fretting hand. I have a much better time with the 24-fret L6S, which has a much wider cutaway, 24 frets clear of the body. Otherwise, it's about the same body thickness, etc., as the SG, while looking a bit more like a "squashed" Les Paul.

And three, SGs will often (but not always) be neck-heavy. That doesn't mean much while you're sitting down, but with the guitar suspended in a strap, the heavy neck will often pull the guitar's headstock toward the floor. The conventional "fix" is to get a thicker strap that will latch onto your shirt better. The problem is that you can end up with your shirt getting pulled up in the back. Some SG players find that they're unconsciously supporting the neck with their fretting hand while they play, and the problem is that it affects how you play the guitar in what I consider to be an adverse way.
Quote by dspellman
The DS-1 is immaterial. Both guitars are fine.

I've stayed away from SGs for three reasons:

One, I'm not in love with the body shape.

Two, the little cutaway horns are too close to the fretboard for my hands; in order to play the upper frets, I need to rotate my fretting hand. I have a much better time with the 24-fret L6S, which has a much wider cutaway, 24 frets clear of the body. Otherwise, it's about the same body thickness, etc., as the SG, while looking a bit more like a "squashed" Les Paul.

And three, SGs will often (but not always) be neck-heavy. That doesn't mean much while you're sitting down, but with the guitar suspended in a strap, the heavy neck will often pull the guitar's headstock toward the floor. The conventional "fix" is to get a thicker strap that will latch onto your shirt better. The problem is that you can end up with your shirt getting pulled up in the back. Some SG players find that they're unconsciously supporting the neck with their fretting hand while they play, and the problem is that it affects how you play the guitar in what I consider to be an adverse way.

Very interesting I appreciate your comments. At this moment I am leaning towards the Omen. I have heard people complain about SGs but never about the Omen
The first one he said is subjective (obviously- I didn't used to like the looks of SGs either but now I do ), but the other two things he said are true, at least a bit. However, it's worth pointing out that despite those things, the SG is still super-popular and an undisputed classic electric guitar (in the way a strat or les paul is). So there's arguably something right about it. Don't make your mind up before you've tried them, in other words.

and yeah the ds1 shoudn't affect things at all. do you already have the ds1? because if you don't, add the cost of it to the orange crush you're considering and you're probably within range of some of the decent modelling practice amps...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't have the pedal yet. I'm currently using my friends Fender amp. It has some built in effects its not a bad package.
which fender amp is it?

but yeah that's one of the advantages of modelling amps when starting, they're pretty versatile and have a few effects etc. built in so you have everything you need to play most types of music.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
New player here as well.

The only advice I can give is to get your hands on as many different guitars as you can before you buy.

Make sure you know the drawbacks, if any, to the shape and features.

There are many varieties at every price level. This is a good thing.

As far as amps go....to each his own. I grew tired of the modeling amp pretty fast and am very glad I bought a tube amp. I wish I could get that money back. . My son is also leaning that way, too.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Quote by DubfromGA
New player here as well.

The only advice I can give is to get your hands on as many different guitars as you can before you buy.

Make sure you know the drawbacks, if any, to the shape and features.

There are many varieties at every price level. This is a good thing.

As far as amps go....to each his own. I grew tired of the modeling amp pretty fast and am very glad I bought a tube amp. I wish I could get that money back. . My son is also leaning that way, too.

Thank you when I go to Guitar Center I plan on demoing everything within budget. Because you are totally right about playing every guitar I can get my hands on.
I've got an Epiphone SG Custom (One with a whammy bar) and would recommend one.
The best thing to do if you can is play both and decide on which one feels best for you.
To get the SG feel with the ability to play some harder stuff you could look at a used Tony Iommi edition SG. Not sure how much they cost in the US or how rare they are but I've heard they're good. And 24 frets if you want to get into the high neck shredding shiz
Yeh i have that amp - the 35 watt version at any rate - and it's... uh... solid state-ey.

I've been trying to like it but every time I think I'm getting used to it I hear a tube amp and then I am reminded that rock music (to me anyways) doesn't sound like solid state.
When people say solid state do they mean an amp that has one channel and no overdrive channel or built in affects? Also if I buy the Orange amp that I discussed previously is there a reason for me to buy an effects pedal since their already is an overdrive setting on the amp?
There are two main categories of amplifier:

1. Solid state
2. Tube

Solid state amps have some advantages but tube amps sound better.

The orange crush has some decent built-in effects. The overdrive channel is - i guess - a substitute for having to buy a separate pedal.
The wattages are not equivalent when you compare solid state to tube, a 15 watt tube amp can get pretty loud. Even a 1 watt or 5 watt tube amp can sound loud in a small room. On the other hand a 15 watt solid state amp isn't very loud, and the simulated distortion can get really crappy sounding.
I think i'm still going to buy the Orange and buy a Boss pedal too. I will see how it goes from there.