Hello,

I have a intonation issue that I'm not sure how to resolve on a new guitar.

The entire fretboard is sharp by exactly 1 semitone, all strings, everywhere. E.g. you get it in tune and have to play the 6th fret on the E to get an A. And have to play the 13th fret to get an octave above.

I have tried shifting the saddle about, all the way back as far as can go (for the E string at least). No effect - (and I got the impression by the total lack of effect that it would be the same for every string). I tried adjusting the truss rod in different ways. No effect.

The guitar is a bit old / had some roughing up... e.g. the nut/lock clamp on the neck looks to have had someone mess with it a little but, even moving that about had no effect - and the nuts are not too high or anything particularly odd about them that I could see might create an issue.

Strings are standard 9-42 Super slinky.

Here's a photo of the exact model :

Only difference is my bridge is using a Kahler-like cam system, with the strings threaded through from behind - perhaps the culprit?

All suggestions appreciated.
Last edited by FredTurner at May 15, 2014,
Don't know the rules on bumping but, thought I'd give this one more shot.

Any one got any ideas?

Here's a pic of the guitar again:

First, I think that's a sweet looking guitar.

I'm confused if it's off a whole semitone by 5th fret...is it truly in tune when open? That's an amazing divergence in just 5 frets. How much is it off at the 2nd and 3rd frets? Half a semitone? How far is it off further up? Is it off by two semitones at the 10th fret? I think getting an idea like that may help us to help you.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
This not a beginners issue. The guitar is indeed in tune. Another way to describe it is like this - an "invisible capo" issue:

The first fret has the exact same pitch when fretted as when played open, on all strings. E.g. as if there is an invisible capo on the strings on the first fret. But there is nothing I can see or hear catching significantly to create the issue?
Quote by FredTurner
This not a beginners issue. The guitar is indeed in tune. Another way to describe it is like this - an "invisible capo" issue:

The first fret has the exact same pitch when fretted as when played open, on all strings. E.g. as if there is an invisible capo on the strings on the first fret. But there is nothing I can see or hear catching significantly to create the issue?

If the open and first fret are the same pitch, and your set up is OK, it means that the fret slots are too low, and the strings are resting on the first fret. Try taking the locking nut off (I assume it just screws on) and sticking a small shim, eg a piece of credit card under it. That should fix it.