Hi,

I have spent quite a few hours surfing the net trying to find a new (still in shop) 2013 Gibson SG Standard in black.

A 2014 will not do (the one with the 120th 12th fret)

No luck,

Does anybody out there know of a shop (or person) that has a brand new one I can buy?

Many thanks,
Rob.
Last edited by sunbeam.ti at May 5, 2014,
Where in the world are you? (just the country, don't post your address in an open forum, lol)

Just to clarify, before you get too excited, I can't guarantee I can find you one, but we don't know where to even start to look if we don't know what country you're from.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sunbeam.ti
Hi,

I have spent quite a few hours surfing the net trying to find a new (still in shop) 2013 Gibson SG Standard in black.

A 2014 will not do (the one with the 120th 12th fret)

No luck,

Does anybody out there know of a shop (or person) that has a brand new one I can buy?

Many thanks,
Rob.

I think they may have these still in stock at the Long & McQuade on Terminal, in Vancouver. Of course, no one knows how useful this information will be until we know where you are
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 5, 2014,
Thank you for the links.
The problem with buying from the US is import TAX and cost of shipping
So I've got to find one in the UK, sadly.
I bet there are some great SG's in the US !!
But not cost affective for us in the UK to buy
http://www.waltons.ie/home/products/view/03agib-sgs-hc-ch-gibson-sg-standard-electric-guitar-heritage-cherry/

That looks like an older one, but I'd email them to check the year (I got one from them about a year ago and it was a 2012 model). It's in Ireland but they ship to the UK (and no import duty since it's within the EU).

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_sg_standard_2013_cw_met.htm

thomann has them. again, no import duty and thomann has free UK shipping over 200 euros.

(in both cases bear in mind your credit card will likely rip you slightly on the exchange rate- IIRC when i got my SG from waltons I ended up paying around £20 more than the exchange rate on XE said I should... and those ones are a bit dearer than the one I bought so it could be even a little more of a discrepancy than that)

EDIT: crap, I missed where you wanted it to be black

Does it have to be a standard? Waltons there has a '61 reissue faded in black. Again, I would email or phone them to check the year.

EDIT #2: http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-sg-standard-2013-electric-guitar-ebony--103533 There you go, they have 5 of them.

I should add... dv247 has been bought by musicstore in cologne. Musicstore isn't my favourite shop, I should add (they didn't give me a refund and palmed me off with a credit note because it had been "too long" despite the fact, in my opinion, it had been their fault it had been "too long" because they didn't answer emails, among other things), but yeah. If it's something which has been discontinued you might not have too much choice...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 6, 2014,
Hi,

Thank you VERY much for the DV247 link.

They did have a black Standard in stock and I bought it

Some shops advertise stuff they don't have !!

I'm now hopping from foot to foot waiting for Thursday

Can't wait

THANK YOU VERY

Rob.
sweet

hope you like it
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't think I'll like it, I know I'll LOVE IT

Went to Brum last Saturday to have a go on SG's, very Niiiiiiiiice

Now I've just got to spend the rest of my life learning to play it ! I bought a new Yamaha 212 last January to see if I like guitar, I do so a nice one has now be purchased to really get going on

Ebay here we come for the 212 !!

Thanks again.
Rob.
WOOT!

Now, we eagerly await your New Gear Day!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

^

^^ If you can afford to at all, keep the 212. It's handy to have a spare (if you're gigging it might save you from having to change strings, and even if not it's nice not to have to drop everything to change a string if you break one just when you're in the mood for a playing session), and an HSS superstrat is a pretty handy and versatile guitar to have as a spare. It should do different enough tones from the SG to be worth keeping, too, the SG won't do strat tones at all really.

No worries if you can't afford to keep it, but if you can...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It could be worth keeping, I can't see it being worth a whole lot. It's 3 months old, 100% spotless and cost about £230. I can't see me getting much more than £150 anyway?

Considering I got the SG for so little, I'm not really being forced to sell the 212 anyway now !
Last edited by sunbeam.ti at May 6, 2014,
Yeah, I can't see you getting much more than that. You can check ebay's completed listings to see what they tend to go for (though if you do sell on ebay remember there are fees to pay), but I'd imagine no more than £150, yeah. If you don't have to sell I'd keep it- I'm kind of biased because I hardly ever sell anything in case I regret it, lol, but yeah if you don't have to sell, still quite like it and/or wouldn't get enough money back on it to make it worth your while, there's probably not much point in selling it. the fact it's quite a different style of guitar, as i said above, is another reason for keeping it, plus it rarely hurts to have a spare.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well the SG turned up today, not very good

All seemed OK at first, but then I saw a small strip of rosewood grain that had been torn up during construction. There was also what looked like a deep scalpel cut at an angle straight across the binding strips and rosewood just under the nut. Then I spotted that the polisher had gone through the paint at the tip of the top horn on the rear

The shop have been first class about it and it's going back tomorrow at their expense and another being sent out next week. Lets hope the 2nd one is right !

Is Gibson always that slack on QC ?
Quote by sunbeam.ti

All seemed OK at first, but then I saw a small strip of rosewood grain that had been torn up during construction. There was also what looked like a deep scalpel cut at an angle straight across the binding strips and rosewood just under the nut. Then I spotted that the polisher had gone through the paint at the tip of the top horn on the rear

The shop have been first class about it and it's going back tomorrow at their expense and another being sent out next week. Lets hope the 2nd one is right !

Not always, but sometimes. With all guitars, but especially Gibsons, it's definitely best to try before you buy. Of course this isn't always possible, if you live in a remote location or need something very specific, but I'm not sure I'd ever buy a Gibson (or any guitar for that matter) online.
Sounds like a horror story, but don't let it dissuade you from ordering online. As long as you buy from reputable sellers with good return policies, it should be no riskier than buying from a brick & mortar store.

Probsbly 80-90% of my gear is ordered online or over the phone. So far, only ever had 2 guitars show up that were wrong in some way, and both times, the problem was rectified.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Sounds like a horror story, but don't let it dissuade you from ordering online. As long as you buy from reputable sellers with good return policies, it should be no riskier than buying from a brick & mortar store.

Probsbly 80-90% of my gear is ordered online or over the phone. So far, only ever had 2 guitars show up that were wrong in some way, and both times, the problem was rectified.

Refreshing to hear!
Quote by Nickpocalypse
Not always, but sometimes. With all guitars, but especially Gibsons, it's definitely best to try before you buy. Of course this isn't always possible, if you live in a remote location or need something very specific, but I'm not sure I'd ever buy a Gibson (or any guitar for that matter) online.

+1

It's possibly even more of a problem with a boxshifter like dv247/musicstore- they might not check guitars much (or at all) before sending them out.

As I said earlier in the thread, I wasn't too fussed on Musicstore in my one and only dealing with them, but you were after a discontinued guitar which seems to be getting pretty rare and you don't have too many options for shopping around if that's the exact model you want.

Good to hear they're treating you right, though. Fingers crossed the next one will be fine. I got my SG online from Waltons and it was absolutely fine. I was aware of Gibson's QC problems and was cacking it before it arrived, though. Just it was at a price I couldn't pass and I figured it was worth the risk.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To be honest, I'm reading lots of posts about QC problems with Gibson, and I'm starting to think they are not the quality brand I thought they were ! I know mine was not good !

I'm not holding my breath on the second one ether !

It may be worth looking at the Epiphone G400 as a Gibson SG alternative ?? The quality 'seems' better on the Epi's from what I read and 1/3 the price of a 2014 SG Standard !

What really gets me is my £250 212 is totally perfect from a finish stand point, yet a £1100 (2013 price) Gibson is shockingly bad (at least mine)

If this second SG goes back (and it may) I may well be forced to travel again to a big shop and just look, see what grabs me in the higher quality end, and buy on the day, in shop. Nothing big is very close where I am, PMS in Bristol maybe, but Andertons is only an extra 3/4 of an hour and I suspect, a bigger shop?

PMS is not massive, not been to Andertons. Would be quite fun to go to another new shop

If I were to look at a 'quality' sub £1000 brand of electric guitar, what brands would I need to look at. I don't like Fenders !!!! way to 'Fisher Price' looking for me.

Thanks.
Gibson is inconsistent, yes, but when you get a good one, they're damn good.

But I can understand wanting to consider other options. Personally, if I decide to buy a SGclone, I'll probably go with a US Masters Hornet.
http://www.usmasters.com/hornet.htm

In the sub-£1000 range, I'd give a good look at Reverend Guitars.

They have a few SG-like guitars in their product line- the Sensei, Reeves Gabrels Spacehawk sig, Tricky Gomez, Bob Balch sig and Manta Ray- and other body styles as well. More importantly, at least in the light of some of your concerns, is that they're very good about their QC. I currently own 3 Revs: one I bought used and two new ones, and the consistency of manufacture is as good as any brand of mass-produced electric guitars I've handled.

They're also pretty tonally flexible, and very comfy. Tuning stability is top-notch.

If you're interested, they're sold in the UK by these guys:
http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/index.html

Fret-King, a UK brand, has some nice designs and seem to be pretty well made...based on the single one I imported to Texas, sight unseen, from Frets Guitar Centre. My Blue Label (their mid-range line) Super 60HB is good enough that I'm strongly considering buying one of FK's Blue Label Esprit 5s, like this one:
http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1366_Fret-King_Esprit_5_-_Trans_Amber.html

...and some others, besides.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 8, 2014,
Quote by sunbeam.ti

Gibson QC has gone to shit lately
IMHO Your better off with a LTD/Schecter copy or even a Agile is better than an Epi.
What the hell!!!
Agile isn't as good a deal overseas, though.

Quote by danvwman
IMHO Your better off with a LTD/Schecter copy or even a Agile is better than an Epi.

Epi's are really hit or miss, but you can find some real gems; I wouldn't say your comment is 100% true.

I certainly agree with you, however, if we're talking about buying online.
I have decided to go with a straight refund on this SG and not bother rolling the dice and hoping the replacement is better. It may be, it maybe not, I've lost confidence in Gibson now. I really can't take a brand seriously when they allow such bad QC.

I'm off to Andersons tomorrow to test run the Schecter Blackjack. On paper (and screen) it looks really good. If I like it, I'll order it in the shop and come back to collect when it's in !!

No more mail order guitars for me !!!!!!
Quote by sunbeam.ti
To be honest, I'm reading lots of posts about QC problems with Gibson, and I'm starting to think they are not the quality brand I thought they were ! I know mine was not good !

I'm not holding my breath on the second one ether !

It may be worth looking at the Epiphone G400 as a Gibson SG alternative ?? The quality 'seems' better on the Epi's from what I read and 1/3 the price of a 2014 SG Standard !

What really gets me is my £250 212 is totally perfect from a finish stand point, yet a £1100 (2013 price) Gibson is shockingly bad (at least mine)

If this second SG goes back (and it may) I may well be forced to travel again to a big shop and just look, see what grabs me in the higher quality end, and buy on the day, in shop. Nothing big is very close where I am, PMS in Bristol maybe, but Andertons is only an extra 3/4 of an hour and I suspect, a bigger shop?

PMS is not massive, not been to Andertons. Would be quite fun to go to another new shop

If I were to look at a 'quality' sub £1000 brand of electric guitar, what brands would I need to look at. I don't like Fenders !!!! way to 'Fisher Price' looking for me.

Thanks.

I'd wait until the second one gets here- it may well be fine. If it's not, I agree with you, I'd be looking for a refund at that point. But I'd probably cross that bridge when I came to it, you might be worrying for nothing.

As the other people have been saying, Gibson is known for having iffy QC, but when you get a good one, it's good. EDIT: ah right I should have read further- yeah if you just want a refund that's fair enough. As you said, it should be right in the first place, at that kind of money.

If you don't mind a poly finish (as opposed to nitro on the Gibson), an MIJ tokai might be worth a look. QC on the japanese-made stuff is normally really good. They're sometimes quite hard to come by in the UK (I'm not seeing any japanese ones currently in the UK, there are cheaper Tokais but they're not Japanese-made and not as good, basically) plus the prices are a fair bit higher than they used to be because of the weakish pound and strongish yen. But if you get burned a second time with Gibson and want something with higher QC, at least without spending a lot more money, the Japanese stuff is probably your first port of call, I'd say.

I'd have said schecters were a step-down from (good) gibsons and tokais and the like, but it's your money and your call. Also schecters are comparatively expensive in the UK, I think.

Godins also might be worth a look- I've seen some good deals on their dual humbucker set neck models for around the £500 mark.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 9, 2014,
Well, to cut a long story very short, I had to turn back 1/2 an hour into the trip to Andertons and ended up buying the blackjack via mail order, again !!!

It was that or nothing !

Their returns policy is fine with me. The guitar is being sent to the shop before it is ship here, rather than being sent directly. The guy I was talking to is going to look it over before it's sent on it's way. He is also going to find a hard case that fits it well at that point. I wanted the proper case, but I was told it was £150 and will take 2 months to get here !!

Fingers crossed
no worries, good luck
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?