im looking for a good amp head to use to help me get a nice djent tone with a price tag that wont give me a heart attack haha im trying to keep between $500 and $800 if possible. any suggestions?
For that price range, I would probably say Peavey 6505+ is going to be the best bet. If you can stretch it a few hundred bucks and you can find an Engl Powerball for cheap, that is your ticket.
In that range, as Vish said, a 6505 or an old Peavey 5150 (not the EVH ones, they are slightly more tame and you don't want that). Little known fact, though, just about any amp/guitar combo can djent, you just have to EQ it right and throw the right OD pedal in the mix.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
In that range, as Vish said, a 6505 or an old Peavey 5150 (not the EVH ones, they are slightly more tame and you don't want that).
I respectfully disagree, and please don't say this ever again if you want the respectful part to be dropped by everyone.
Tamer?
Man did you play through it?
Quote by TheStig1214
Little known fact, though, just about any amp/guitar combo can djent, you just have to EQ it right and throw the right OD pedal in the mix.
Yeah, that's why all djent players in need of a good cheap amp buy a fender excelsior.
You can pull out a convincing djent tone out of lotsa amps with a noise gate and a good distortion pedal, but it's not like it will sound any more than convincing if you do use an excelsior.

Anyway, powerball II for life.
If you can find one used for $800, buy it.
But then again you probably won't so see if you can find a powerball I or a fireball or a 5150 III or a 6505+ or a 6505.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
thanks for all the feedback so far! I actually have a friend who is selling a peavey 6505 head for a decent price I believe. what kind of pedal OD and noise gates would you recommend? I tried using my boss ds1, but I don't like that pedal anyway and trying to mess with eq with that, I did not like it at all haha
Oh, you'd want something like a Tubescreamer with the gain at minimum and the level at maximum so it gives you a clean boost with a mean mid hump. The DS1 would be poop for that. As for noise gates, I hate those ****ers, but I would say the ISP Decimator or the G-String.
Sell the DS1, get a digitech bad monkey or a gs greenie, a cab with a couple v30s, and whatever noise gate pedal with a "fast" option or one of which you can set the attack and release time.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
yeah, I bought the ds1 just because it was cheap and I was desperate for a distortion pedal at the time. it sounds like garbage to me though haha I do not like it. I want to sell it, but I also don't want to get like, $10 for it like a lot of people in my area would pay for it.
Remember to check the Laney IRT series, if anything should go wrong with that Peavey 6505 sale.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

i think im gonna go with the peavey. he is selling the 6505 head and an ampeg 4X12 cab for $250. and I know they work fine cause ive been playing guitar with him for the past year or so.
If the $250 are for the whole thing go for it!
Though you might wanna change the speakers in the cab or get a new cab altogether, I'm not sure I've ever seen somebody play djent through an ampeg 4x12.

I don't think I've ever even sees somebody play guitar through an ampeg 4x12 actually...
What cab would that be exactly?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
I respectfully disagree, and please don't say this ever again if you want the respectful part to be dropped by everyone.
Tamer?

I dunno... I've owned every incarnation of the 5150 series and I definitely find the 5150 III to be tamer than the original blockletter 5150 I currently own. That amp is so raw it'll rip your face off.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by rockerkyle13
i think im gonna go with the peavey. he is selling the 6505 head and an ampeg 4X12 cab for $250. and I know they work fine cause ive been playing guitar with him for the past year or so.

For $250 if you don't buy it you should be publically flogged and forbidden to ever play guitar again!!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Well A/Bing them I didn't quite get that impression.
Anyway TS's gonna get a 6505 so who cares at this point...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Tamer?
Yeah, that's why all djent players in need of a good cheap amp buy a fender excelsior.
You can pull out a convincing djent tone out of lotsa amps with a noise gate and a good distortion pedal, but it's not like it will sound any more than convincing if you do use an excelsior.

Anyway, powerball II for life.
If you can find one used for $800, buy it.
But then again you probably won't so see if you can find a powerball I or a fireball or a 5150 III or a 6505+ or a 6505.

I didn't get that impression at all comparing an old block letter to the newer EVH 5150 (like the II and III). Maybe I'm a bit biased because I hate anything associated with Eddie Van Halen To each their own.

Perhaps I should adjust that to "any HALFWAY DECENT guitar/amp combo can djent..." haha
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by rockerkyle13

Buy that, a noise gate, a parametric or graphic EQ with the ability to boost 1400Hz and a TS7 or 9.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Arby911
For $250 if you don't buy it you should be publically flogged and forbidden to ever play guitar again!!

I'm putting $150 down on it next Thursday haha I'm not passing up this opportunity!