Hey dudes, so I've recently been playing and writing songs in drop B flat a lot.

I've got a BC Rich Virgo, haven't modded it or nothing, still got it as it came, if that matters, its got Ernie Ball not even slinky strings on it, nice and thick, BUTT it feels like it could be better.
The string tension feels too loose even though the strings are pretty chunky, and I like the tension of my standard guitar way better, the drop guitar sounds all floppy, and I want it to be like that but how can I get this?
Could I get 7 string set of strings and just use the lower 6 strings? Or do I need to adjust the guitar in some way? Or do I give up on it and spend a few years saving for a 7 string or a baritone?
You need a Whammy DT.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Does the Whammy DT affect the tone much? I've tried using VSTs to do that sort of thing when I'm recording and it sounds like nuts.

I'll try them strings out next, cheers. Is it possible to get cobalt strings that thick?
I'd love a 7 string, but money.
Is there anything I can do to the guitar? Any adjustments I can do to it to make it even just a bit tighter?
Try some d'addario EXL158s (.13 - .62). They're made for baritone guitars but may work for you. You might have to file out the nut slots if the strings are too big for the nut which would be irreversible.

I don't think you can get much bigger without buying bass strings. Even the low B on 7 string sets are usually .54-.60s.
2002 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2014 Fender Strat (American Nitro Honeyburst)
2003 Ibanez Acoustic
Digitech RP500
Blackstar HT5R
You may need to adjust the truss rod. I'm not a fan of touching the truss rod myself as it's a delicate operation that could seriously mess up your guitar. Ask a technician/luthier for a proper setup for Drop Bb.
"2,000,000 NPS Whores" club.
Appreciating the beauty of music so fast it blows puny mortal's faces off.
Bow down to teh Shredzor!
PM La Qotsa if you want to join. No emotion? Pah!
My friend has his gibson les paul custom in drop B and he play with 13-70 and replace the 70 for a 76. But he loves very tight strings. I would play drop B with something lower than a 52 as the B and even there, it will feel loose.

Baritone would give you the chance to have the same tension with smaller strings. But it will not sound the same. But it is easier to play on smaller strings than on huge ones, this is one of the reasonwhy they exist.
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Quote by Arpeggio X
You may need to adjust the truss rod. I'm not a fan of touching the truss rod myself as it's a delicate operation that could seriously mess up your guitar. Ask a technician/luthier for a proper setup for Drop Bb.

it really isn't that sensitive. just make sure you know what way to turn it, and don't turn it more than a 1/4 turn or so a day.

but if i were you i would just take it to a tech, you seem to not have a lot of experience. most techs have no problem with you watching and some will explain things to you and show you how it works.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by rockstar256
get daddario 12-60 and might change 60 to 64-68

+1. Gonna need some serious strings for drop Bb and string tension.
Yeah, 12-60 with a 64 would probably work.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.