Hi dear UG members!! Few days ago I sought suggestions about using stomp boxes to replace my current multi FX unit which has been giving me a lot of trouble lately. Since I can’t play loud, majority of the suggestions went for getting a multi FX unit. I decided to go for Zoom G3X so I visited the local music stores but it was out of stock and it'll take few days to be available in the stores again.

They asked about my requirement and suggested me to get a decent amp first before I go for a good multi FX. They also mentioned that good amps may require additional multi FX unit/stomps for tone shaping but for just playing at home even at low volume, many of them are good enough alone for just plug the guitar to the amp and play; besides playing through an amp will sound lot better than playing through multi FX having headphones on. I didn’t purchase anything yet and I’m confused again about what to do. I’ve got two amp models in my mind which I’ve seen in the stores, one in Blackstar HT1 combo and the other is Orange Crush CR20L (or it could be CR20LDX I can’ exactly remember now).

I already mentioned that I can’t play really loud, but if I have my windows closed as well as having heavy curtain on the window panel installed while playing through a decent practice amp, will I be able to play a little loud (volume won’t be more than 1 o’clock) so that the others won’t get annoyed? So should I go for amp upgrade and leave the multi FX or should I get a multi FX and continue using it through headphone or my Marshall MG15? I’ll be looking forward for your valuable suggestions.
Last edited by stranger_23 at May 6, 2014,
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

Follow the directions in that thread.
And please use paragraphs next time, that was painful to read :P
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The G3X is a great piece of kit that you can use for silent practice at home and will also be a good investment for later in your playing career when you have purchased a quality tube amp and are looking to start playing gigs etc.

The practice amps you mentioned are just practice amps (personally I'm not a fan of the Orange Crush series, never tried the Blackstar) and eventually you will want to replace them with a real amp.

As you already have an acceptable practice amp, IMO there is no need to replace it with an amp that won't be a significant improvement. Neither of the amps you mentioned will be much of an upgrade.

Personally, I'd get the G3X. Only you can make the final decision though.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
The G3X is a great piece of kit that you can use for silent practice....

Thanks for posting your suggestion. I would have purchased the G3X right at that moment, but it just ran out of stock and the people at the store then asked me why I want G3X (they also have Zoom G5 but for me it is just too big so I don't want it), thus their suggestion about only using a good amp popped up. I've seen all those high end Marshall, Peavey and Blackstar combo amps which are out of my reach at the moment and that's why I mentioned those 2 models in my post and noticing other people's tone just using these amps alone I guess they are better than my current amp (I loved the tone of the Blackstar one more). Right at the moment I'm playing through only the MG15, not to mention the tone isn't that good. I really don't know how good its tone will be if I play through G3X. I'm just a bit confused now that's why I'm looking for your advice.
The MG will never provide you with a great tone, but it will suffice. The G3X can do great tones though, and simply using your MG as a loudspeaker for it will probably be better than using the MG on it's own (if your home stereo has an aux input, you could even use that to amplify the G3X!).
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud