I find this song pretty tough to analyze (I'm still kinda new to things in that regard). I see it's a simple Intro-Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorusx2-Bridge-Outro deal but it's WAAAAAY more than that on the level of composition. Anyone mind helping me out? (main progression, rhythm, timing, instruments used, etc)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Pl1nZJJGs&feature=kp
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
Last edited by eric_wearing at May 6, 2014,
Without a score or a transcription, your request for help is a little bit completely hard to really respond to. A few straightforward things: Eno-like ambient intro, followed by the usual scream/melodic section balance. The whole thing after the intro is 4/4, and it's not like the intro isn't in 4/4 either. There are some triplets/sextuplets in there, with accentual syncopation and stuff in both the triplets and some of the more straightforward rhythms. Harmony is basically diatonic with spices added to taste, plus a few little chromatic jaunts that latter-day metal is known for. Without a score or transcription though, anything deeper is a big ask, especially given how hard it is to transcribe or parse heavily distorted stuff anyway.

Hope some of that helps, at least.
You might could use some double modals.
I thought analyzing was for finding the more complicated stuff, like if it doesn't have a written music then you analyze it and that's how you tab/write it out?
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR

Quote by MaggaraMarine
Quote by eric_wearing
I thought analyzing was for finding the more complicated stuff, like if it doesn't have a written music then you analyze it and that's how you tab/write it out?

Yes. But, that doesn't mean a lot of us will be able to sit down and hash it all out in 30 minutes or so. I mean, give me about 6 hours, and I could do it. But I honestly don't have 6 hours.

I'm sure there's a few people here who can do it relatively quickly, but...you'll have to find and ask them.
No no I don't expect an immediate response, I just figured I could get some help here. My ears are pretty virgin to analyzing things by ear so I figured this would be something nice to start with. In any case I'd like to find the progression to this as well as all that background stuff that makes the song sound so nostalgic and ethereal

Quote by DBKGUITAR

Quote by MaggaraMarine
(Not a bump) So I figured it's a 4/4 for the most part during the main song but the intro is whart really gets me

Quote by DBKGUITAR

Quote by MaggaraMarine
*UPDATE*
I just came across a shipload of free time and I used a decent amount deciphering this. As recommended by pretty much everyone, I completed the bass section of the song first. I have a tab and all the notes written down. Will post results after finishing guitar section!

Quote by DBKGUITAR

Quote by MaggaraMarine