Seriously.

(Except Cathbard. Leave him and his feedback alone.)
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Because electric guitars don't work as well without them.

I suspect your question is overbroad.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I just mic my electric for the br00tz.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Because they make your guitar sound good.

Mine must be broken...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I can share my personal experiences on this. When I first got started in this crazy game of electric guitar I bought a Standard Fender Stratocaster. I was so pumped. I brought it home but quickly realized that I only had half of the equation. It sounded OK and felt great in my hands but didn't quite have the 'umph' I was looking for. I got a Lightsnake and plugged it into my computer but it was not a pure tone. After some research I learned that I needed a box with speakers so after some hunting around I got an Avatar Traditional closed back 212.

Unfortunately, because of the closed back, I couldn't get a good look at the innards. It made no ficken sound. Can you believe that? Nothing. I thought maybe it was a bad capacitor or something. Then, I realized there were no knobs on the top or the back. 'Don't amps need at least a volume knob?' - I thought. So I bought a Line 6 amp that had all of these models and effects in it. I thought - 'Now I'm cooking'.

Guess what? No workie. I was devastated. This was getting too complex. I decided to take up knitting or maybe the kazoo. I just couldn't take it anymore. Where were those glorious guitar tones from my guitar gods like Van Halen, and Jimmy Page, and Jimmi Hendrix.

After much reluctance I tried one more time and found something that might give me those tones. So after ignoring all of the advice that the good people on this board gave me I caved and decided to listen. This time it worked!

So that is why people buy amps!
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 6, 2014,
^^^Where's the sexy lingerie?!

And the top half?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at May 6, 2014,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Unfortunately, because of the closed back, I couldn't get a good look at the innards. It made no ficken sound. Can you believe that? Nothing. I thought maybe it was a bad capacitor or something. Then, I realized there were no knobs on the top or the back. 'Don't amps need at least a volume knob?' - I thought.
Cool story 311!

I can relate. Even though I really didn't start playing guitar as a hobby until I was 50 (8 years ago), back when I first graduated from college I wanted to play and bought a cheap LP clone. One of my biggest flaws is trying to do and learn everything myself. Having an EE degree it was easy to hook up the guitar with an audio preamp and plug it into my stereo. Even built a PAIA synth and ran it through that.

But... I had zero understanding of the concept of distortion and overdrive tones. No clue that the sustain came from the distortion, not to mention feedback. Like you I had no idea how real musicians got their tone and was too obstinate to ask or get a lesson. Hence the early demise of my attempt to play the guitar. If only I had gotten a guitar amp it may have changed the whole course of my musical life.

And a lesson. Maybe then the teacher would have told me that the fake books are in the wrong key and that's why it's pointless to try and play along with a song using the key in the book. After he taught me what "key" meant.

I did the same stupid stuff in my early motorcycle days. I put high compression Teflon coated pistons in a Honda 350 (did my own work). Added a free flowing exhaust. What I didn't know about was mixture and that really caused a lot of problems because it was running so lean that one day riding down the highway and 70mph the engine locked along with the rear wheel. Fortunately I instinctively pulled the clutch so no accident. I'm still the same way. That's why I just got done doing 3 years of back tax returns.
Last edited by fly135 at May 6, 2014,
gotta use something to sit on amiright?
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
To impress the ladies of course, how are you supposed to get laid without a full stack these days if you don't have an expensive car or expensive shirts or so on?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Because I don't know what to do with the infinite amount of options that come with good modeling. I like a simple amp, and I like turning real knobs on the effects I use.
Last edited by Iommianity at May 6, 2014,
Because materialism. Its nice to own things.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Because materialism. Its nice to own things.

Bourgeoisie pig
I realize. That I hate the sound of guitars
Quote by MarqueeMoon77
Bourgeoisie pig

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
West, stop trollin'. lawlz.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I don't, I steal them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Arsonists use Bugeras as their ignition source.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Because amp & cab modeling through a PA is just not the same as a real guitar speaker pushing air.

It just doesn't work playing out and loud. It may sound right on the surface level, but it doesn't "feel" right. There's no kick or punch.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X