I have been playing around with my dark terror (no pun intended!) and got a tone I liked simply using a boss ge-7 with the bass/mids boosted slightly. I had it in the fx loop. However, it's too noisy for me with high gain so looking at the MXR instead.

I have not tested the above pedals yet but would like some input as to the actual difference between them, other than overdrive boosts signal to amp, and EQ can boost signal post pre-amp in the loop.

I basically need to decide which to buy first, and if one of them does the job, then there's no need for the other one. Would boosting the signal and setting the tone in front (OD808) actually achieve a similar thing as using an EQ in the loop? The whole boosting thing is kind of confusing me.

One thing I've noticed, in youtube videos, overdrive on/off, I can hear a difference, but not a huge difference, whereas EQ is noticably different when altered. The talk of 'tightening' up low end is probably something I'd understand once I could hear it whilst playing. I've been playing for a long time but only ever used solid state, so digging the tubes quite a lot, has a sweet sound, and this amp's great for me as I never play clean.

I would just like a bit of input as to what other people might do, playing on a dark terror, shape control to about 2 o clock and gain nearly right up. The distortion is nice but I really liked the tone with the EQ on board. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Up to you, really. I haven't tried those specific EQs so I can't comment on the differences.

A boost in front tends to add more saturation/distortion/compression (assuming the amp is already distortion) whereas an EQ or boost in the loop tends to just add more volume (assuming the amp is set below power tube clipping/distortion).

I don't think an OD808 will add bass, though. Most tubescreamers have a bass cut. Some modded ones don't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the OD808 will cut bass not add it. That is why people say it will "tighten the low-end"
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks everyone. So, is this along the right lines (bearing in mind I can only get the volume up to about 1 without annoying the neighbours):

An overdrive pedal will boost the signal so that I can get the amps natural sounding distortion at lower volumes.

An EQ pedal will 'artificially' (for want of a better word) give me a sound that I choose that may not be necessarily the same as the actual tone of the amp i.e. a fat bass/mid sound.

Something like that? The dark terror doesn't seem very bassy but I love the distortion. The shape control though seems to either cut all the mids, or stick them too high. Something just seems lacking, which the EQ put right back into the mix. Maybe I just need to get both and be done with it :-p (about £200 done with it...).

Some comments here also mention EQ + overdrive:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Orange_Dark_Terror_Amp_Review
Last edited by samwillc at May 6, 2014,
Personally with Orange amps, due to lack of Treble, Mid and Bass I like my EQ pedal, depending on the guitar and the music I am playing. Generally speaking the OD pedal will do what you are thinking it will if you are playing at lower volumes. Most (generalized term) use an OD pedal as a boost and drop the gain, increase the volume and then tone to taste.
What speakers are you using? What cab?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Well the Digitech bad monkey has a bass knob that can help add some bass a typical tubescreamer can cut.

An EQ pedal is a must IMO for the small Orange terror and Thunder series, because they lack a real EQ section.

getting both would be the best, but if you can get only one get the EQ
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by bobafettacheese
What speakers are you using? What cab?

Epiphone prophecy EMG 81/85, dark terror + HT-112 (cheapo blackstar cab from ebay). I started with nothing so needed to get the ball rolling as low cost as possible! Will upgrade cab at some point when I get the £££.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Well the Digitech bad monkey has a bass knob that can help add some bass a typical tubescreamer can cut.

An EQ pedal is a must IMO for the small Orange terror and Thunder series, because they lack a real EQ section.

getting both would be the best, but if you can get only one get the EQ

A bad monkey and EQ or OD808 and EQ? Big price difference here.
Quote by samwillc
Epiphone prophecy EMG 81/85, dark terror + HT-112 (cheapo blackstar cab from ebay). I started with nothing so needed to get the ball rolling as low cost as possible! Will upgrade cab at some point when I get the £££.

A bad monkey and EQ or OD808 and EQ? Big price difference here.

Well I have a Bad monkey and a GFS Greenie (TS9/808 clone) but I don't use an EQ pedal.

If you have the funds I'd get the EQ and a TS (the 808 is way overpriced for a simple OD). The Bad monkey was my first OD pedal I've ever bought and it is a nice boost pedal and the bass knob does come in handy. But I find myself using the greenie way more than the digitech these days.
The Joyo vintage OD is a decent sounding TS clone. and cheap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 6, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Joyo vintage OD is a decent sounding TS clone. and cheap

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_effects/joyo/jf-01_vintage_overdrive/index.html

Now, at about £32, you've got my attention! Seeing as I have a bucket load of distortion on the dark terror, maybe something like the above would suit for just fine for now seeing as I could get this and the MXR 10 all in one go. Then maybe I could actually start playing rather than talking about it
This is the same thing as the Joyo, rebranded for Thomann as Harley Benton and it is 23.86 GBP
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_vintage_overdrive.htm
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 6, 2014,
Go for the 10band EQ. Got one myself and ive used it with about 15 heads and its always helped more than an OD/TS would.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
If you're not slam dancing around on stage, check out the Danelectro Fish & Chips. I own one now after having owned 2 GE-7s in the past (one MIJ & one MIT), and the Dano is way quieter. Definitely worth getting if you're not rough with it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Joyo are built by dyslexic monkeys on meth.

Get yourself an MXR 10 band and at least a Bad Monkey. There are lots of tubescreamer clones, you don't have to resort to Joyo. At least the Bad Monkey is built properly. But there are plenty of others. Start with the EQ and see how you go. If you still think you need an overdrive then, Bad Monkey, Mooer, Green Rhino, GFS Greeny. Anything but Joyo and Biyang really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ GFS is biyang, isn't it? I agree biyang is bad. IME joyo has been far better than biyang (not that that would be hard ), but yeah the bad monkey is probably the safer option (though i think the joyo might sound marginally better). Or a boss sd1 would work well, too.

didn't matt say mooer's QC was all over the place too? I'm biased because I got them cheaper, but I wouldn't want to pay £50 for them, either. At that budget (or at least, not much more) you have a lot more options, unless you absolutely need it to be teeny.

Quote by samwillc

An overdrive pedal will boost the signal so that I can get the amps natural sounding distortion at lower volumes.

I dunno if that's how I'd describe it. It boosts the preamp tubes making them distort more (and also adds its own tone shaping and compression and a little of its own clipping too). So it increases your preamp distortion. It doesn't really do anything to the power tube distortion (which I'm guessing is what you mean when you say "natural sounding distortion), but I could be wrong), unless the amp is already pretty much cranked.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The MX100 is probably your best choice. I've got both an MX100 and a couple of GE 7's (there's a guitar version and a bass version, and the bass version covers a wider range of frequencies).

Where in your chain are you placing the EQ? And where did you have the LEVEL set when you were complaining about noise?
I went down the local (5 miles away) shop today and came home with a £30 JF-01 overdrive. So far, I can't say I notice a LOT of difference, but there is a difference. I would say my style is a little old school, I like a lot of 90s stuff, so machine head, fear factory, at the gates, pantera (of course!), in flames but also newer behemoth, marduk, dimmu.

Anyway, my sound is getting there, I'm enjoying the whole tube experience, but also trying to avoid becoming so obssessed with tone that I don't make any music.

To answer the post above, I sold the EQ so I have no EQ at all. At the moment it's:

guitar > jf-01 > ns-2 > amp
amp send > dd-3 > return

And that's it. I may experiment with putting the OD in the ns-2 loop as it has it's own one. I definitely need more bass though.
I haven't pulled apart many Mooers. The ones I did look inside seemed to be assembled better than the Joyos.
Not sure about the GFS tbh. If they are Biyangs I won't suggest them again.
I might buy another Joyo if it was cheap enough but I'd be going over the board with a magnifying glass and fixing any of their **** ups. They're cheaper than parts. I wouldn't buy one and just try to use it as it is, I'd treat it as an unfinished kit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
(a) I haven't pulled apart many Mooers. The ones I did look inside seemed to be assembled better than the Joyos.
(b) Not sure about the GFS tbh. If they are Biyangs I won't suggest them again.
(c) I might buy another Joyo if it was cheap enough but I'd be going over the board with a magnifying glass and fixing any of their **** ups. They're cheaper than parts. I wouldn't buy one and just try to use it as it is, I'd treat it as an unfinished kit.

(a) That may well be so- I'm just going by what matt said.

(b) They certainly look like biyangs, and biyang is well know for getting its stuff rebranded. I think GFS claimed they were modded, though, but how true that is (or how modded even if it is technically true), I dunno.

I know my experience of biyangs was horrendous. I was approaching a failure rate of 100%, and even the replacements were iffy (one even out of the box).

I cut my losses and gave up They sounded pretty good when they worked, but I wasn't exactly taxing them with home use and they still failed (and often very quickly). the old "they break if you look at them funny" quote comes to mind... I did buy them all around the same time, so it could've been a bad batch, but even still.

Certainly in terms of how long they kept working (and even how sturdy they feel- the biyangs didn't exactly inspire confidence when kicking the switches even when they did work), my joyos have been far better than biyang (they're still all working, touch wood), but obviously that could just be dumb luck. You certainly know way more about electronics and making pedals etc. than I do, and I haven't really been recommending them much since you and tim/greeny have been saying how badly they've been put together...

(c) LOL
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 8, 2014,
Seen a fromel shape for sale near me second hand for £15 less than a (new) MXR 10 band. That's put a new slant on things. I hear the parametric can be quite awesome, only ever used graphic.

*EDIT* although if the fromel broke I'd be well and truly out of luck, and cash. MXR would have a warranty.
Last edited by samwillc at May 8, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) That may well be so- I'm just going by what matt said.

(b) They certainly look like biyangs, and biyang is well know for getting its stuff rebranded. I think GFS claimed they were modded, though, but how true that is (or how modded even if it is technically true), I dunno.

I know my experience of biyangs was horrendous. I was approaching a failure rate of 100%, and even the replacements were iffy (one even out of the box).

I cut my losses and gave up They sounded pretty good when they worked, but I wasn't exactly taxing them with home use and they still failed (and often very quickly). the old "they break if you look at them funny" quote comes to mind... I did buy them all around the same time, so it could've been a bad batch, but even still.

Certainly in terms of how long they kept working (and even how sturdy they feel- the biyangs didn't exactly inspire confidence when kicking the switches even when they did work), my joyos have been far better than biyang (they're still all working, touch wood), but obviously that could just be dumb luck. You certainly know way more about electronics and making pedals etc. than I do, and I haven't really been recommending them much since you and tim/greeny have been saying how badly they've been put together...

(c) LOL

I have only had experience with the GFS Greenie and after 2+ yrs it still works just fine and feels/seems solid
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
oh man mine were ridiculous I'm going on memory here, but i got the glorified tubescreamer clone first, to see what they were like. it was fine. then i ordered the phaser and glorified muff clone. i think the muff went dodgy within the first week. And the phaser not long after that (or maybe the other way round, I forget). the replacement phaser was dodgy out of the box, it had a ticking sound on one of the modes. then after maybe a year or so, the tubescreamer died. the replacement muff is still fine, though it crackles a little when you mess with the little clipping switch.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?