Because of an injury I wasn't able to play guitar. However, I spent my time watching live blues concerts of legends like Buddy Guy, SRV, Albert King and Robert Cray. In all honesty, I'm sold. It's incredible seeing those guys telling a story via their guitar and voice. You can really feel what they are trying to say and almost every note is spot on.

I want to start to playing blues myself. I discussed it with my guitar teachers and he told my that I have to start playing blues songs and steal licks here and there. I'm really determined to play blues so I'm really happy that I will start.

Now the main question is: where do I start? In general SRV stuff is a little more complicated. So what are some relatively easy/accessible blues songs/artists that get me started?

For what it's worth:

I'm playing guitar for around 3 years. I never really focussed on songs, more on a solo, learning different scales, improvising, technique etc. I'm really fanatic and try to play at least 2h a day, but I reach 3h a day often. However, I didn't play/learn lots of songs so learning new songs is a good way to practise my rhythm.

Thanks a lot blues fans!
Last edited by GuitarL91 at May 6, 2014,
Try Bonomassa or some Old Robin Trower. Some slower-bluesy stuff but challenging, melodic and fun to learn. A lot of fun to solo/improvise over. Pretty basic progressions too...most of the time.
Hopefully some other members will chime in as well, but my two cents worth is that the two things that are gonna form your foundation in blues are, 1) get very comfortable with the blues scale (I'm sorry for the 'Gee, you think?' obviousness of this one, but it's true) and 2) learn what a 12-bar blues is, and how to figure out what chords that would entail, no matter what key you might be asked to play in.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
^Yep,As above,You more than likely already know the blues scales,Learn the 12 bar blues 1-4-5 patterns so you understand what's going on in the songs you learn.Maybe learn a couple of extension chords too like 9 and 13 chords.
Thanks for the input so far guys! I know I have to start working on the blues scale and stuff like that, it's on the schedule . However, any concrete songs suggestions?
Quote by GuitarL91
Because of an injury I wasn't able to play guitar. However, I spent my time watching live blues concerts of legends like Buddy Guy, SRV, Albert King and Robert Cray. In all honesty, I'm sold. It's incredible seeing those guys telling a story via their guitar and voice. You can really feel what they are trying to say and almost every note is spot on.

I want to start to playing blues myself. I discussed it with my guitar teachers and he told my that I have to start playing blues songs and steal licks here and there. I'm really determined to play blues so I'm really happy that I will start.

Now the main question is: where do I start? In general SRV stuff is a little more complicated. So what are some relatively easy/accessible blues songs/artists that get me started?

For what it's worth:

I'm playing guitar for around 3 years. I never really focussed on songs, more on a solo, learning different scales, improvising, technique etc. I'm really fanatic and try to play at least 2h a day, but I reach 3h a day often. However, I didn't play/learn lots of songs so learning new songs is a good way to practise my rhythm.

Thanks a lot blues fans!

Start with "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and "Tell Me" from SRV's Texas Flood album. The solos are accessible. The rhythm part in Mary had a little lamb is a fun riff to play on its own.

60's Albert King would be a good place to start as well.
A couple more things that, when combined, really opened up my blues playing were my discovery of the Open G tuning (low to high - D, G, D, G, B, D) and my use of a slide. Putting them together allowed me to start playing the music of Son House, who I'm a huge fan of. Also, being able to play any major chord with a simple barre makes it very easy to play 12 bar blues.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
hey .. want to hear stories told by guitars .. i advise you Gary Moore .. he is one of the best i think in that field ..he is the person who made me decide that i want to play guitar ..
Last edited by moufdi.abdessad at May 7, 2014,
Thanks guys, you really helped me out. I'm gonna follow some blues courses and just play songs! Suggestions are still welcome tho!