Page 1 of 2
My 22nd birthday was on Saturday and it marked 8 years from when I got my first guitar and began my musical journey. Looking back on those 8 years makes me sad. I haven't been in a single band, never even jammed with multiple people outside a few friends, never received a dollar for my time. It hasn't gone anywhere. All it has done is taken up my time and brought me some joy.

I could have just put all this effort into a job and I would be rolling in cash right now.

What do? Should i keep going down this endless river of misery or should I swim to shore and be like everyone else?
I do not have that problem.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Why not?

After 5-6ish years now I have played in multiple groups, made a lot of friends through it, made a little bit of cash from it (though I couldnt care less about that), and overall have received a lot of joy from it.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
I've been in about four bands while doing sports, and other social things throughout high school to college. Along with that I like to perform, write songs, etc. Doesn't mean that any of it is any good but it all is fulfilling so if you feel like something is missing then try a few of the things you mentioned. You can still do all of that while still putting in effort for a job.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
Playing/writing music is very fulfilling to me. I don't care how many people hear it or whatever, it makes me feel good.
Why should you get paid for your hobbies lol. Like if I was really in to Yoga, should I be paid for that?
nah i play in an awesome rock & roll band with my best friends & recently we've actually gotten some sweet $$$ for college shows
oh man when i think about playing the guitar it just makes me so happy i wanna go out in the street & hop around like a frog
Psshhhh, I've been in bands AND I've gotten paid to play. Woo! By Worthington's Law, I'm officially better than you.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by TheChaz
Why should you get paid for your hobbies lol. Like if I was really in to Yoga, should I be paid for that?

You aint a hawt chick so no
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at May 6, 2014,
The religious keep pluggin' away with their bible rhetoric and biblical nonsense. We all know there is no god, but they keep believing everyday anyways.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My 22nd birthday was on Saturday and it marked 8 years from when I got my first guitar and began my musical journey. Looking back on those 8 years makes me sad. I haven't been in a single band, never even jammed with multiple people outside a few friends, never received a dollar for my time. It hasn't gone anywhere. All it has done is taken up my time and brought me some joy.

I could have just put all this effort into a job and I would be rolling in cash right now.

What do? Should i keep going down this endless river of misery or should I swim to shore and be like everyone else?

Hmmm...

I have made lots of friends through guitar.
I've explored more music through guitar.
I've played in front of huge crowds, which was awesome.
I was in....6 bands?
Made like...a dollar busking in High School.
A dude bought me a beer at a pub for my playing (huge accomplishment, that!)
It's gotten me chicks.
It helped me how to sing as well.
Boosted my confidence.
It calmed me down when I was in an off mood.

Shit man, rather have spent that whole time on guitar than some minimum wage job.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
All it has done is taken up my time and brought me some joy.

This is the important part. Anything more is just gravy.
I've played in quite a few bands, but none of them have been particularly successful. Some were just down to bad music or people not really gelling, in other bands we had some good stuff, but we broke up before having any success due to people moving on with other plans in life/etc. and i think it's more sad when we have good stuff but break up before playing anywhere special.

I'm in a couple of bands at the moment, so it's not so bad.

You just need to ask around, maybe start learning bass, as people are always looking for bassists.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by staxxxmcgee
The religious keep pluggin' away with their bible rhetoric and biblical nonsense. We all know there is no god, but they keep believing everyday anyways.

^ Atheist douche alert, pushing their rhetoric
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
Quote by staxxxmcgee

that we do and there aint nobody that can stop us
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

You should stop smoking weed, that's what YOU personally should do, mr. jrcsgtpeppers.
I just turned 19 last month, and I started playing guitar when I was 13. I jammed with numerous people, played with my high school's orchestra, and even played with a few local bands in bars when I was 15-17 years old.

Just look for people who play. There are countless musicians out there, you just have to look out for them. Even if you don't play out, it's still fun to play with other people.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Thats all your fault.
You haven't put that much effort into it.
Get off your lazy ass and make it happen.
I joined my first working band after playing guitar for 3 years.
holy shit i cannot believe you are 22 years old dude, its time to grow up, goddamn homie

deadit: okay here is some constructive stuff: forget about joining a band. its overrated. why would you want a bunch of losers telling you how to make your music? just do it yourself.
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at May 6, 2014,
oh well

I got my guitar and played for a while with my mates then joined UG and then gave it up when we all parted ways to go college and uni and they were getting on my nerves for being chumps who spent all their time talking big but doing **** all. I just lost my motivation to play after that, it was always about playing together and I always struggled playing purely for myself. ended up having two separate guitar teachers being paid to keep me encouraged, which helped a bit. Tried joining other bands and the had a highlight of a decent sized gig at a large venue as a support guitarist to a rapper I went to school with, but none of it was ever the same as working with my mates.

I mean I'm kinda glad I'm free of them now, they had attitudes that were holding me back, like daring to suggest give up going to a high end college to stick around in our old school's awful sixth form just so we could hang out and easily practise together, but would never sit down and make solid plans about what we would be doing as a band(they ended up transferring to another college in the 2nd ear anyway, lol) I mean, I made an effort, paying for rehearsal spaces a few times out of my own pocket, trying to organise a simple little writing session on the odd empty weekend, lending my spare instruments so moving gear around wasn't a huge deal, etc. shit pissed me off, but friends are friends so what are you gonna do.

I don't know how people do it from the other end, just picking up the instrument and playing for themselves. I kinda got that feeling with maybe picking up piano, but we never had the cash for lessons when I was young and by the time we did, I had a guitar in my hands. my mother is a grade 8 player but she's no teacher. with instruments you have to put a lot into it to get real reward out of it and I always wanted the instant/quick gratification and would lose my temper if things didn't come naturally immediately.

So, if you are playing by yourself, is it because you are doing it for your own satisfaction and get some reward out of it, even if it's reaching far off goals? or is it because you dream of playing in a band or on stage solo.

if it's the former, keep at it, don't stress and don't feel bad when life's more practical concerns take over. the guitar will always be there for your fun.

if it's the latter, grow a pair, find a band or start getting yourself on stage somehow. otherwise get over it/ let go of the instrument.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
like what is the point of this thread. I'm pretty sure most people on here have probably been in a band or two and get some emotional satisfaction out of playing the guitar. This thread just makes you seem lazy. If you aren't having fun with it anymore and don't want to try playing with other people then yeah I would try to find a new hobby.
TS, I'm going to be honest and not in any way trying to troll like I always do. You're not cut out for any possible career in music. It can always be a source of joy for you, but it's just not meant to be your main thing. End the suffering now. Get your life together.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
musical journey
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I mean, you're 22, dude.

If I were you, I'd really look into doing music for more game/movie soundtracks. Start off small, find a little indie game/movie that you really would enjoy making music for, whether it be writing itty-bitty piano jingles for a company's adverts, or a full blown orchestral score for a movie, and go with that. I don't know what you like, but I'll give you an experience of mine:

I was stuck in a bit of a rut as far as my music was concerned (I write House music,) and I wanted to find a way to break out of my comfort zone, so I started going on Kickstarter, Offbeatr, things of that nature, voting for movies/games that I would've liked, and sending them a PM saying "Hey, here's my link for my musics, would you like for me to write some music for you? I like your stuff." and, lo and behold, I got the go ahead from a couple of companies, and I'm currently in the process of figuring out the quote price for my songs.

So, TL;DR: If you want to make music a living, IMO, the best way is to contact companies who need musicians for soundtracks and advert jingles.
my musical journey is almost at level 4

Quote by neidnarb11890
nah i play in an awesome rock & roll band with my best friends & recently we've actually gotten some sweet $$$ for college shows
oh man when i think about playing the guitar it just makes me so happy i wanna go out in the street & hop around like a frog

bof rox my sox
It's a hobby, bro. I've performed for people, but it's not a huge deal for me.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

I started playing bass when I was 16 and by the time I was 18 I was playing 'payed' gigs with my first band, which was a 3 piece (I did bass and lead vocals) I had put together myself by inviting a couple of friends to jam and suggesting we do it on a regular basis when it started to sound good. Then when it started to sound really good I asked around a few local bars for gigs and got them by saying we'd play for free the first time but if they liked us we'd want paying for any further bookings.

It's easy to get started with the gigging side of things, it's maintaining it and making sure you keep getting better and better bookings that's the trick.

But you say that all it has done is taken up your time and brought you some joy? Surely something that brings you joy is worth taking your time up for?

Start gigging, bring other people joy with your playing, then you'll see what it's all about. Oh yes.
It's that moment, that instant when, for the first time, you are on stage and the crowd are loving it and dancing around and you can feel the vibe in the air and you KNOW that it's you that's creating that vibe... THAT moment is when it all becomes clear... it was ALL worth it just to get to where you are when that feeling hits you for the very first time on a stage.
Everything just seems to slot into place in that moment, you feel one with the world but with a real purpose and the adrenaline rush you get from that is the best drug you will ever experience. (and I'm speaking from a lot of drugs experience here)

It is LITERALY 'better than sex.' (again, speaking from a lot of experience here. )
Quote by Philip_pepper

It's gotten me chicks.

Oh god that would be awkward for me. What do you talk about etc?
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by 457undead
Oh god that would be awkward for me. What do you talk about etc?

You let them talk, mostly. Then you pull them.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

STAY OUT OF THE HERD, NOBLE BLACK SHEEP
You may find that there are other outlets for showing your creativity/expressing yourself/performing besides guitar.

I've been playing for 10 years, and had/still have the same dreams as you do, but the difference is is that I'm pursuing an actual job that can pay the bills.

I don't want my livelihood being based on my creative output. I want to do what I want musically, and unless you become a rockstar there's absolutely no way I can sustain a career like that.

I'd rather have the financial means to support my hobbies then be dependent on them for survival.

Other then that, I've become disillusioned about the "rock band" lifestyle. It's not for me.
Page 1 of 2