Why do i feel like I have to buy used guitars? Even if I have no info on the guitar I feel the need to buy that rather than a new one. Is it because I'm tight with my money or is it something else?

I can't be the only one like this. Or am I?
Well I've only bought one new guitar in my 7 (give or take) years of playing whereas my friends and other people I know have bought several new ones within less time than that.
Well I bought all my guitars new but really its better to buy them used. it just makes more sense usually.
banned
Mixed bag for me. Some I buy used, some I buy new.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I love buying use. More bang for your buck and a lot of new guitars today feel cheap anyway. I actually have never paid more than $300 on a single guitar ever, and all mine rival my friends' $1500+ custom Carvin, $700 Agile or $600 SG.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Virtually all the guitars I have bought in the past 30 years or so have been used. One new one was a custom reso that ended up needing some fairly major work on the fretboard, another was a Martin J-40 that turned into a dog over a period of about three years, another was a Baby Taylor that turned out to have an unstable neck, another was a Republic reso whose soundwell almost fell apart after a year or so. I'm now strongly biased against new guitars. I know what I'm getting with used, particularly important in acoustics, that are prone to structural deterioration.
Buying used is admirable. However, all nine of the guitars I've purchased were bought new and I've really only had two issues. An ESP semi-hollow that will never have perfect intonation and a Taylor T3B with a slightly raised 3rd fret. I've never worried about the ESP enough to do anything about it and the Taylor was fixed, as it's one of my gigging guitars. I would buy used, if I found something I wanted and the price was right.
I've only ever bought used once and it left a terrible taste in my mouth. The guitar was a complete and utter heap of junk. It was obvious to me why he wanted to sell it. Uneven frets all over the place, microphonic pickups, terrible intonation, basically things that are impossible to tell from a dozen of ebay photographs yet they're so, so important to the playability of a guitar.

Since then, I've always been scared of buying used. I always try a guitar before buying it, even if I have to spend significantly more money for that to be an option.

Buying used will always give you great bang for the buck, but you also need to be lucky enough that the guitar the seller is advertising isn't being sold because it sucks.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 6, 2014,
I love used guitars, usually because they tell a story. I feel like every guitar I have has a great backstory as to how I acquired it. Lately I've been either buying broken guitars cheap, or piecing them together. Either way, there's always a great story to tell when someone asks about it.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've only ever bought used once and it left a terrible taste in my mouth. The guitar was a complete and utter heap of junk. It was obvious to me why he wanted to sell it. Uneven frets all over the place, microphonic pickups, terrible intonation, basically things that are impossible to tell from a dozen of ebay photographs yet they're so, so important to the playability of a guitar.

Since then, I've always been scared of buying used. I always try a guitar before buying it, even if I have to spend significantly more money for that to be an option.

Buying used will always give you great bang for the buck, but you also need to be lucky enough that the guitar the seller is advertising isn't being sold because it sucks.

You can buy used, and still try before you buy. Just don't use eBay/the internet, except for places like Craigslist. I definitely would buy used guitars, but I agree with you in that I would never use eBay to buy a guitar. I'm hesitant to even use something like musiciansfriend.
There isn't much that changes when a guitar goes from new to used; there's not much on them that can really wear out (or at least nothing I can't fix). I would always buy used if I had the choice but you can't find everything that way.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Nickpocalypse
You can buy used, and still try before you buy. Just don't use eBay/the internet, except for places like Craigslist. I definitely would buy used guitars, but I agree with you in that I would never use eBay to buy a guitar. I'm hesitant to even use something like musiciansfriend.

Trying before you buy with used instruments usually isn't an option in my local area. My local guitar stores don't hold a used section, and the places where I can buy used instruments are selling cheap junk that I don't want. The guitars that I might actually want to own are only really on Ebay, which i've been bitten in the ass for doing by people lying through their teeth when they say that there is nothing wrong with it.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
There isn't much that changes when a guitar goes from new to used; there's not much on them that can really wear out

Yes there is.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 6, 2014,
i buy new but b stock guitars on ebay. you save hundreds, there's no fret wear, and you can usually return the guitar if not happy.

just bought a b stock esp ltd ec 330 (an EXCELLENT guitar and great back up to my ec 1000) for $180 more then half off all because it had some yellowing on the white binding on the headstock which absolutely no one will notice.
esp ltd ec 1000 vb
schecter blackjack atx c -1 aged white
prs se singlecut fully modded

peavey 5150 combo celestion hot 100 speakers
Only my AW40NT was brand new when I got it. The rest were acquired through friends, family, or the internet. (The Strat came from eBay. The RG270 and Sheraton II came from Craigslist.)
2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster 1994 Ibanez RG270 1970's Hondo Les Paul 2011 Epiphone Sheraton II 1990's Kit Built Telecaster 2005 Ibanez AW40NT 1949 Harmony Sovereign
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Yes there is.

+1

i wish there was no such thing as fretwear.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Trying before you buy with used instruments usually isn't an option in my local area. My local guitar stores don't hold a used section, and the places where I can buy used instruments are selling cheap junk that I don't want. The guitars that I might actually want to own are only really on Ebay, which i've been bitten in the ass for doing by people lying through their teeth when they say that there is nothing wrong with it.

Fair enough, I take for granted sometimes being in a big city. That's pretty rough, and unfortunate people have screwed you with ebay purchases.
Just don't use eBay/the internet, except for places like Craigslist.

I haven't had any problems with eBay or other Internet used instrument dealers. OTOH, I avoid Craigslist.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I love crappy broken guitars... I bought this guy for 50$... It's got a hairline crack in the body that doesn't affect playability and it had a busted tone nob. So I spent $7.50 on a tone nob, wired in some B.C. rich pickups I had laying around. I adjusted the action, and filed a few sharp frets. I threw the decals on to cover nicks and the crack and WHA-LA... A fantastic beater, if I drop it, who cares, if someone steals it, who cares, and yet, it plays and sounds great... I love used guitars.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I haven't had any problems with eBay or other Internet used instrument dealers. OTOH, I avoid Craigslist.

I have had good luck on Craigs List and Ebay , bought my Comanche from CL ,got my Rampage , S 500 off of Ebay , my ASAT Classic used from the local dealer , got my Cavalier and Broadcaster from the G&L forum classified section ......

The advantage to my new guitars (in my situation ) are that they are G&L's and have a 10 year warranty on the whole guitar and I mean everything , wiring , pu's , neck , body , tremolo , switches , tuners , basically everything except strings