I recently bought a used Yamaha RGX 112P electric guitar from my sister, made around 1995. She bought it new originally, and made no mods to the guitar. Pickups are stock (no clue what they are), and there's a humbucker in the bridge position, a single-coil in the middle position, and another single-coil in the neck position.

When I first got the guitar it worked fine and all the strings on all the pickups worked normally. But eventually I broke a few strings, and every time I replaced a string (with Ernie Ball Regular Slinky and Dean Markley Blue Steel regular strings), the new strings' sound wouldn't register through the 2 single-coil pickups and out my amp. It's like the strings I replaced are now "dead" on those pickups and don't make any sound when I play through any amp I try. The strings still work fine using the bridge humbucker pickup.

Thoughts?
It just may be a coincidental disconnection of those pickups while you were changing the strings. Or if there's a separate volume for those pickups that may just be all the way down. Whats the control layout? Also try opening the control cavity of the guitar to see if any wires are disconnected.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
It just may be a coincidental disconnection of those pickups while you were changing the strings. Or if there's a separate volume for those pickups that may just be all the way down. Whats the control layout? Also try opening the control cavity of the guitar to see if any wires are disconnected.

I doubt it's any of what you mentioned. I broke one string that came with the guitar when I bought it, so I changed just that string, and then that same string stopped making sound through the single-coil pickups (but not the humbucker). Then I broke a different string, replaced it, and the same thing happened. I've repeated that with about 4 of the 6 original strings that came with the guitar, so now only 2 strings work with an amp on those single-coil pickups (again, everything works with the humbucker.

Also, the guitar only has a 1 volume knob and 1 tone knob. It's not the knobs, since the original strings that came with the guitar will work with the single-coils and other strings won't. I did notice that the strings that work that came on the guitar when I bought it were slightly lighter gauge than my regular gauge ones I'm replacing them with as they break.
Last edited by Barricade_28 at May 7, 2014,
That makes no sense at all... I guess show it to a tech in person because I've never heard of that or can think of a reason how that could happen.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
That makes no sense at all... I guess show it to a tech in person because I've never heard of that or can think of a reason how that could happen.

That's what I was thinking. I seriously think something just came undone somehow.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The only thing I can thing of is that you accidentally replaced the electric guitar string with an acoustic guitar string? Some acoustic guitar strings are made from non-magnetic metals like bronze, which would mean you'd get no response.

Either that or a ludicrous series of coincidences in which the poles on your pickups got broken at the same time as the corresponding strings.
That doesn't make sense.

I mean, I've never heard of single pole-pieces going out like that (if I'm understanding you correctly?).

It sounds to me like a piece of solder (or two) came loose internally. It'll most likely be at the five-way selector or the pickups themselves. Strings are pretty universal and that shouldn't have been a problem.

It's entirely common for cheaper guitars to use only the bare minimum amount of solder which ends up not being enough sometimes. I've had it happen to a number of lower-end guitars (including a Yamaha RGS121) in the past.

Get handy with a soldering iron or find someone that is, but FIRST look up a pickup wiring diagram to look for yourself if there are any problems in the internal wiring. If you see any loose wires than figure out where they need to be.

If you're saying that you're not getting sound from ONLY the strings you changed but they still work on the Humbucker, you got some voodoo shit going on. Initially I thought you accidentally put nylon strings on your guitar (which aren't magnetic and wouldn't be picked up by the pickups) but if they work with the Humbucker, I'm thinking it's internal.

The only other thing I can think of is that you DID put nylons on your guitar and your humbucker is very high gain and it's actually picking up the sound from them, in which case, go pick yourself up some 'electric guitar strings'
Quote by mjones1992
That doesn't make sense.

I mean, I've never heard of single pole-pieces going out like that (if I'm understanding you correctly?).

It sounds to me like a piece of solder (or two) came loose internally. It'll most likely be at the five-way selector or the pickups themselves. Strings are pretty universal and that shouldn't have been a problem.

It's entirely common for cheaper guitars to use only the bare minimum amount of solder which ends up not being enough sometimes. I've had it happen to a number of lower-end guitars (including a Yamaha RGS121) in the past.

Get handy with a soldering iron or find someone that is, but FIRST look up a pickup wiring diagram to look for yourself if there are any problems in the internal wiring. If you see any loose wires than figure out where they need to be.

If you're saying that you're not getting sound from ONLY the strings you changed but they still work on the Humbucker, you got some voodoo shit going on. Initially I thought you accidentally put nylon strings on your guitar (which aren't magnetic and wouldn't be picked up by the pickups) but if they work with the Humbucker, I'm thinking it's internal.

The only other thing I can think of is that you DID put nylons on your guitar and your humbucker is very high gain and it's actually picking up the sound from them, in which case, go pick yourself up some 'electric guitar strings'

Blue Steels and Regular Slinkies ARE electric guitar strings. Which makes this even more strange. I still say disconnected pickups or a bad/broken switch.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Well considering he passed off my idea of a broken connection so quickly without even checking, a guitar tech might be first....
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Yeah I'm going to need to see a video of this to believe it.

And picks of how you installed the strings I suspect you've muted them somehow.
song stuck in my head today

Last edited by lbc_sublime at May 7, 2014,
Quote by TheStig1214
Blue Steels and Regular Slinkies ARE electric guitar strings. Which makes this even more strange. I still say disconnected pickups or a bad/broken switch.

Either that or he's trolling. I used to be a tech and of all the strange things I've seen, this has got to be the strangest thing I've ever heard of. It's like a magic trick.
Quote by mjones1992
Either that or he's trolling. I used to be a tech and of all the strange things I've seen, this has got to be the strangest thing I've ever heard of. It's like a magic trick.

Exactly. I said in a previous post the OP dismissed my idea so quickly too. I'm no pro but I tech all my own gear and have done more than a dozen pickup swaps for my own guitars and freinds'. Bad switches and wiring is the only thing that would cause that if there's only one master volume.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by mjones1992

It is VERY strange, I'm certainly not trolling. The only other explanation is that since this is my first time owning a guitar with single-coils, I might not be used to how much less gain they pick up from my strings compared to humbuckers, which seem fairly "hot" (though passive, not active) on both of my guitars (my other guitar is an Ibanez RG with INF3 & INF4 pickups).

So maybe I need to crank the volume much more when I use the single-coils, but it still just seems VERY odd that when I use, say, the neck single-coil the 1st, 2nd, and 6th string come through at noticeably good volume and gain while the other strings are barely if at all audible (it sounds like any volume I hear from them is coming from the part of the pickups for the other strings or through vibration of the other strings.

I have mixed and matched 2 brands of strings, plus the 3rd brand of string (that seems a thinner gauge) that came with the guitar when I bought it, so I may just re-string the entire guitar with a new set of strings from the same brand/gauge and see what happens.

If I have time in the next few days maybe I can get a video up.
Quote by TheStig1214
Exactly. I said in a previous post the OP dismissed my idea so quickly too. I'm no pro but I tech all my own gear and have done more than a dozen pickup swaps for my own guitars and freinds'. Bad switches and wiring is the only thing that would cause that if there's only one master volume.

Well, maybe I somehow I screwed up the individual polepiece "screw" thingies (not sure exactly what they're called) on the pickups when I changed the strings or something, but I'm always very gentle with my guitars. Maybe the magnetic polarity is screwed up somehow, I dunno.
Quote by Barricade_28
Well, maybe I somehow I screwed up the individual polepiece "screw" thingies (not sure exactly what they're called) on the pickups when I changed the strings or something, but I'm always very gentle with my guitars. Maybe the magnetic polarity is screwed up somehow, I dunno.

Seriously, it doesn't matter how much you baby a guitar, gravity happens. Just open up the control cavity and check for loose wires. If none of the wires are loose then you have a bad witch, nothing a $5 replacement and 10 minutes with a soldering iron won't fix.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Weird indeed.

Could you have managed to somehow demagnetise poles 3,4 and 5? Test them with a piece of iron, eg a screwdriver, with the guitar plugged in. There should be a very loud click from the screwdriver contact on each pole, and the magnetic pull of each should feel similar.