Im looking for a new tube combo amp. It will be replacing my Peavey Vypyr (digital modeling amp). Is a Blues Jr good for bedroom levels and gigging? I might be bringing the amp along with me to college so I can play gigs in the area. I was thinking of a Blues Deluxe but it just seems far too loud for what I need... I also like to use alot of pedals.

I mainly play blues and classic rock. How loud can this thing get before breakup? Any opinions are welcome.

A Traynor YGL1 is another possible choice.
imo one of the best amp designs ever made. and they love pedals.

im going to say a blanket statement that they literally cant sound bad. somebody has to try really hard to mess up a blues junior tone.

you may like the tone this gives. they have an "open box" version for 400.

http://proguitarshop.com/fender-humboldt-hot-rod-iii.html
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
imo one of the best amp designs ever made. and they love pedals.

im going to say a blanket statement that they literally cant sound bad. somebody has to try really hard to mess up a blues junior tone.

you may like the tone this gives. they have an "open box" version for 400.

http://proguitarshop.com/fender-humboldt-hot-rod-iii.html

Thanks for the response! How does it hold up in band situations?
well ive seen more blues bands gig with them than any other amp in my live music expeirence.

i mean they arent anything special but they are little wrokhorses that sound great. they are relatively affordable, quality, easy to get good tone out of, easy to use, small/portable. its a great amp.

queue up the next ten responses for people telling you its 15 watts and not enough for a band....

not true. again, ive seen more people gig with them than anything else. the most common way is to MIC it through a PA. it is 15 watts, and at stage volume, you will be getting some breakup probably but in a very pleasing smooth tone. just youtube some vids im sure there are hundreds.

one of the best musicians i know is a professional gigging musician and he dropped about 4000 dollars in a 12-15 watt boutique combo with a 1x12 speaker. he could have bought almost anything for that price.

i would definitely say in a practice scenario it should hold up fine, live, you should pic a 15 watt amp or any amp for that matter. its just proper, good tone practice for the mix / PA. if you will ont be doing this, i would recommend a higher wattage amp.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at May 7, 2014,
Quote by ikey_
well ive seen more blues bands gig with them than any other amp in my live music expeirence.

i mean they arent anything special but they are little wrokhorses that sound great. they are relatively affordable, quality, easy to get good tone out of, easy to use, small/portable. its a great amp.

queue up the next ten responses for people telling you its 15 watts and not enough for a band....

not true. again, ive seen more people gig with them than anything else. the most common way is to MIC it through a PA. it is 15 watts, and at stage volume, you will be getting some breakup probably but in a very pleasing smooth tone. just youtube some vids im sure there are hundreds.

one of the best musicians i know is a professional gigging musician and he dropped about 4000 dollars in a 12-15 watt boutique combo with a 1x12 speaker. he could have bought almost anything for that price.

i would definitely say in a practice scenario it should hold up fine, live, you should pic a 15 watt amp or any amp for that matter. its just proper, good tone practice for the mix / PA. if you will ont be doing this, i would recommend a higher wattage amp.

This is probably the best response Ive ever gotten on a forum. I really appreciate all the information you have provided, got all the answers I needed. I guess I might be picking up a Blues Jr sometime soon!
If you're worried about gigging I would suggest getting the Blues Deluxe. With that said, I have seen a couple bands gig with a Blues Junior and have excellent tone and presence in the mix.

You might check out a Vox AC-15c1 as well, just for a different flavor of classic rock/blues
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
The Blues Deluxe is an overkill if you are only going to use it at bedroom levels.
^Both amps are practically just as loud as each other, besides the fact they're master volume amps. I'd rather have the Deluxe since it will stay cleaner further into the volume knob and it has a couple extra controls. They sound fuller and bigger than the Junior as well, from having a larger power section.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
^Both amps are practically just as loud as each other, besides the fact they're master volume amps. I'd rather have the Deluxe since it will stay cleaner further into the volume knob and it has a couple extra controls. They sound fuller and bigger than the Junior as well, from having a larger power section.

Hmm... So a Blues Deluxe at volume level 1 is alright for bedroom practice?
^ I keep mine between 1-2.5 but I usually have a dirt pedal with the volume at 11 on as well and it is sufficiently loud. While I don't have any experience with the Blues Jr, I've never been in a situation where I needed to push my BDR on the clean channel to the point where I get natural break up so I'd assume that it depends on what your looking for the most in the amp.
Quote by Wicer
^ I keep mine between 1-2.5 but I usually have a dirt pedal with the volume at 11 on as well and it is sufficiently loud. While I don't have any experience with the Blues Jr, I've never been in a situation where I needed to push my BDR on the clean channel to the point where I get natural break up so I'd assume that it depends on what your looking for the most in the amp.

Basically I want a good clean sound at bedroom levels and a decent clean sound for gigging. Apparently anything louder than 1 is too loud on the BD. Im going to most likely be bringing this amp with me to college so thats why Im preffering the Jr
I personally have never had a problem getting a decent, loud tv volume tone out of the amps Ive owned. Sure it sounds better louder, but that's cause its louder. I'm not a fan of the blues jr but if your ears like it, I'd guess it'd work quite well for you.

Edit: Actually, if you want cleans for gigging with a drummer you'll want more watts.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at May 10, 2014,
The Blues Jr is a nice little clean and blues amp, and takes pedals well. However, I'm not a huge fan of the overdrive on it. For classic rock tones I'd take a Peavey Classic 30.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by metalhead424
Basically I want a good clean sound at bedroom levels and a decent clean sound for gigging. Apparently anything louder than 1 is too loud on the BD. Im going to most likely be bringing this amp with me to college so thats why Im preffering the Jr

I personally think (although everyone else in the house seems to strongly disagree) 2-2.5 is a nice enough bedroom volume. Trying the amp out right now, 1 is definitely doable as a clean and 2-2.5 is as well.
Ideally, you should try both the amps out and see which one suits your needs best but for the BDR, you get much better tones by lowering the volume and tone knobs on your guitar as opposed to keeping them at 10.
Good bedroom amp. Never got to use mine with a band but I imagine that it'd be fine unless your drummer is really loud.