Hello! I'm shopping for an amp up to maybe $600ish or so, unless I saw good reason to save and spend more. I like to play thrash metal, lot of 80's stuff, Megadeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Speed Racer, Paul Gilbert, as well as bands like Tool and Rammstein and so on. I've had for years now just a Peavey Classic 30, and I use a fuzz pedal to give it a vaguely metal distortion tone. It obviously doesn't sound too great, but I was working with what I had.

I was thinking I'd probably just go with a combo amp as it seems to be the less expensive choice. I don't gig or play with anyone else, unfortunately, so not too concerned about wattage or portability either way. So I ended up looking at the Carvin V3 combo, or the Peavey 6505+ combo, as they're both in that price range, and seem to be respectable "metal amps". I don't expect to sound exactly like Friedman or Gilbert or so on, but I expect to sound a hell of a lot better than a Classic 30 attempting metal.

If the price was right, I wouldn't be averse to buying a head and a cab, and I will eventually sell my Classic 30 in favor of a Fender anyway.

So basically I was hoping to know if, between the Carvin and the Peavey, if the Carvin is worth $100 more. And I wanted to know if there's any better option for the sorts of music I've listed. The clean channel doesn't matter much since I have the Classic 30.

Oh, and I'm playing an Ibanez PGM-301 which has PAF Pros in the Neck and Bridge, if that matters regarding the tone I'm able to get from the amps.

Thanks, and I appreciate any responses
Used JSX or TSL
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
A used Peavey (not EVH) 5150 will run you about that much.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Laney makes some good tube amps that are both versatile and affordable. You can find some for as low as $300 (even lower if you get them used) that would definitely suit your classic metal needs.
Last edited by spargmeister at May 7, 2014,
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Used JSX or TSL

JSX would suit you best. I don't like the tsl's as much as the DSL's but one year range has a rectifier over heating issues. Get the year that doesn't.

But JSX XXX Ultra + would be best.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for all the posts guys. Buying used is fine by me, that way I don't immediately lose value if I end up not liking whatever I purchased.

I doubt I could find a used JSX or TSL in person, because of the area I live (mostly old rich people part of Florida, though sadly I'm not rich, and luckily not old), so is eBay the best way to go on that or another online resource? (I'm an hour from Tampa, but can't just go driving up there every time I wanna try an amp) And assuming the amp works at all, is changing the tubes the most likely maintenance I'd run into if any?

So far in the demos I'm listening to, I gotta say I like the Marshall a bit more than the JSX or the 6505/5150, though they're all good. (Though I don't know the difference between the JCM 800, 900, 2000 and so on)

If the DSL is considerably better than the TSL, what would one of those run me? Since we're talking buying used amps now that hold a lot of their value, I wouldn't be so opposed to spending a bit more money. Would I be best off getting a head and cab? Would a cab that suited the DSL also suit a Fender for cleans, so I could just have 1 cab and 2 heads eventually?

Thank you thank you
All of the amps suggested are good, for online used look at Guitar Center's used gear online. They have great prices, much better than anything you could find on Ebay.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'd say look at the used Guitar Center gear page and order from there, at least the seller is verified. I've had some mixed feelings about buying used on Ebay but for the most part good.
I prefer head + 2x12 now, although I did love a full stack at my earlier days and half stack on my mid-career. Best setup would be a 4x12 1960a Marshall half stack (4x12), used at around $400-$500 at least locally in Texas.
Quote by I Poke Badgers
Thanks for all the posts guys. Buying used is fine by me, that way I don't immediately lose value if I end up not liking whatever I purchased.

I doubt I could find a used JSX or TSL in person, because of the area I live (mostly old rich people part of Florida, though sadly I'm not rich, and luckily not old), so is eBay the best way to go on that or another online resource? (I'm an hour from Tampa, but can't just go driving up there every time I wanna try an amp) And assuming the amp works at all, is changing the tubes the most likely maintenance I'd run into if any?

So far in the demos I'm listening to, I gotta say I like the Marshall a bit more than the JSX or the 6505/5150, though they're all good. (Though I don't know the difference between the JCM 800, 900, 2000 and so on)

If the DSL is considerably better than the TSL, what would one of those run me? Since we're talking buying used amps now that hold a lot of their value, I wouldn't be so opposed to spending a bit more money. Would I be best off getting a head and cab? Would a cab that suited the DSL also suit a Fender for cleans, so I could just have 1 cab and 2 heads eventually?

Thank you thank you

The JCM 800 has a very bassy and sludgey (very heavy) sound meanwhile the 900 is a bit more tightened up. The 2000 can do both, but not as well as either one respectfully.

A DSL head should run you about $200-$250. You'd be better off getting one of those and a 2x12 cab or something.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The 800 is definitely not what I'd considered bassy or sludgey... They suffer from the same brightness that most Marshalls do.

Edit: and where are you that a DSL is that cheap? I've never seen them below $500...
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at May 7, 2014,
Quote by dementiacaptain
The 800 is definitely not what I'd considered bassy or sludgey... They suffer from the same brightness that most Marshalls do.

Edit: and where are you that a DSL is that cheap? I've never seen them below $500...

I guess bassy isn't the right word. It's heavy as all hell though sound wise.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214

A DSL head should run you about $200-$250.

Must be in alternate reality. Maybe best case scenario is $500, the English ones are becoming as sought after as the earlier Marshalls. Maybe try the Chinese DSL combos, see how they fare.

The JCM800 is a bit darker than what I'd associate as the Marshall sound, you need to crank it high to juice it to good grind and boost it/overdrive it to scream. It a good tonal palette amp that you can add colors (overdrives, fx) on top of.
All in all, I believe based on what you guys recommend and from what I've then heard demo-wise of the amps recommended, I'm looking for a JCM 2000 or 900 DSL-100 head made in England? Have I understood correctly and made a solid choice for say $800 tops in great condition (based on a quick search for prices)? Then I think I'd just get myself a 2x12 cab in decent shape with decent speakers.

Much appreciated
Last edited by I Poke Badgers at May 7, 2014,
I wouldn't buy a 900 (apart from the SL/X) unless you were going to mod it.

The new DSL's are made in Vietnam, the JCM2000 DSL is made in Britain. The latter would be a fine choice if you can find one in budget, just make sure it was made after 2003.

PS: The JCM900 Mk3 is incredibly easy to mod, the Dual Reverb, not so much. With the Mk3 you don't even have to unscrew the board. The Dual Reverb isn't that hard to mod either but you do have to pull the board.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification