Poll: Which guitar is best suited for my desires bearing in mind my budget?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar is best suited for my desires bearing in mind my budget?
Schecter Omen Extreme 6
2 33%
Ibanez RG421QM
1 17%
ESP LTD H-330
2 33%
Other
1 17%
Voters: 6.
Hey guys, I'm new here to UG but have been lurking for about a month or two now. I've been really interested in learning guitar for several years now and, luckily, it's finally coming to fruition and I'm planning on purchasing my first electric guitar within the month!

That being said, I would like some input on the three companies I've been looking at purchasing from: ESP, Ibanez, and Schecter. My musical tastes lend themselves to bands like Killswitch Engage, Periphery, Mastodon, The Devil Wears Prada, etc., with some grunge thrown in, so I'm mainly looking for something that does metal pretty well but allows for the some degree of versatility.

Here are the ones in particular that I've been looking at:

http://*******/F3WmQH

http://*******/UMzAFu

http://*******/GEblmZ (not sure about the actives )

Unfortunately my budget is right around $500-$600 for the guitar, case, amp, etc., but please feel free to post other guitars for me to ponder over. I figure if I go to a local GC I can try to haggle myself a decent 15%, but also feel free to recommend different vendors. Also, I'm definitely not opposed to buy used if it means I can get the tone I'm looking for within my budget!

Thanks!

Note: No FRs. I'd prefer to put my effort into learning how to play rather than tuning every five minutes.
Quote by Spyders
Note: No FRs. I'd prefer to put my effort into learning how to play rather than tuning every five minutes.

If you get it right you only have to tune an FR when you change strings. If you have to tune more than about once every couple of weeks then you're doing something wrong.

Either way, the only real solution to this is to go and try these guitars, no one else can tell you which of them you will prefer most.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Either way, the only real solution to this is to go and try these guitars, no one else can tell you which of them you will prefer most.

Good enough, considering I was already planning on testing them out prior to purchase. I guess I should have asked for more first-hand experiences with these guitars rather than just "input."

If you get it right you only have to tune an FR when you change strings. If you have to tune more than about once every couple of weeks then you're doing something wrong.

I'll take your word for it but from what I've read it sounds like FRs within my price bracket are kind of finicky and subject to going out of tune easily due to the use of "low-grade" parts.

Thanks though!
Last edited by Spyders at May 6, 2014,
Quote by Spyders
Good enough, considering I was already planning on testing them out prior to purchase. I guess I should have asked for more first-hand experiences with these guitars rather than just "input."

As for this...every guitar is different. You could have 2 of the exact same model, and both could play differently. This is why people say you should play them yourself. You need to hear how they sound. And bring a friend who knows guitars; they should be able to help you out there.

Btw, when you play a guitar on the floor, make sure they sell you the floor model. You don't want some model that's been sitting in the back, which may be different.

I'll take your word for it but from what I've read it sounds like FRs within my price bracket are kind of finicky and subject to going out of tune easily due to the use of "low-grade" parts.

Thanks though!

Well, yes and no. A mid-grade $500 guitar can have a good quality FR. BUT, chances are, you'd probably replace the stock pickups at some point for something higher output.
Used LTD 400 series and used first gen peavey vypyr 30...Done around 600$ total and you will be set for any tone really you could want
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Spyders

I keep hearing that as "Internet Wisdom."

In my personal experience that hasn't been the case. I have a '92 Samick that has a really well-used licensed Floyd -- I keep expecting it to give up the ghost, and I've actually got a gold Schaller sitting on the shelf in a bubble pack waiting for when it does -- and that sucker just keeps going. I have two Agile AL-series used and B-Stock guitars with Korean Floyds that are running perfectly. Nothing remotely finicky and they certainly don't go out of tune. Since "licensing" is no longer an expense for the companies that produce Floyds, the prices for better quality ones have dropped dramatically.

My basis of comparison includes a couple of Gotoh Floyds, three Schaller-built Floyds (including a Graphtech LB63 with Ghost piezo saddles) and a couple of OFRs (Korean manufacture) on Gibsons.

On most cheap guitars that come with Floyds these days, the option of dropping in a more expensive version is always open, but it's not necessary as long as the original piece is still working well.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
As for this...every guitar is different. You could have 2 of the exact same model, and both could play differently. This is why people say you should play them yourself. You need to hear how they sound. And bring a friend who knows guitars; they should be able to help you out there.

Btw, when you play a guitar on the floor, make sure they sell you the floor model. You don't want some model that's been sitting in the back, which may be different.

I would have exactly the opposite suggestion.

A well-set-up guitar at any price level can play and sound gorgeous. The same guitar (not the same model, but the same exact guitar) can also play badly and sound nasty. Newbs walk into a store and try a bunch until they come across one that feels nice, and they often reject guitars that are actually better in every respect, but that don't feel good. They have no clue what a difference a really good setup can make. I have a couple of very inexpensive guitars that have been given PLEK setups (these cost more than the guitars themselves <G> that play easily as well as guitars that have cost me 10X (and beyond) more money.

I've never purchased a new guitar "off the wall." In fact, if I'm dealing with a place like Guitar Denter, I'll almost always ask for a factory-direct sealed-box guitar (most recently a Variax JTV-89F, before that a Gibson Axcess Custom). New floor model guitars in those places have far too often been scratch and dent versions, some with hidden damage, often with scratchy frets, etc. This doesn't mean that the factory model will come with a setup I like (Gibson, for example, likes to set action at medium-high to cover for mediocre fretwork). These days almost any guitar new to me (whether it's actually used or factory new) will go to my favorite tech, and I'll pay whatever it takes for him to get the setup where I need it, up to and including a run on the PLEK and supergluing the frets. I just figure that into the cost of the guitar.
Quote by dspellman
I keep hearing that as "Internet Wisdom."

In my personal experience that hasn't been the case. I have a '92 Samick that has a really well-used licensed Floyd -- I keep expecting it to give up the ghost, and I've actually got a gold Schaller sitting on the shelf in a bubble pack waiting for when it does -- and that sucker just keeps going. I have two Agile AL-series used and B-Stock guitars with Korean Floyds that are running perfectly. Nothing remotely finicky and they certainly don't go out of tune. Since "licensing" is no longer an expense for the companies that produce Floyds, the prices for better quality ones have dropped dramatically.

No, this isn't a case of "internet wisdom". It's a case of truth. A lot of lower-end FRs are made with cheaper metals, which results in them warping more quickly over time. And many lower-end guitars end up with a lower-end FR. While it is true that prices of licensed FRs have dropped, it's still the case that you can end up with a lower-end FR in a lower-end guitar. Think about it logically, and it makes sense.

Quote by dspellman
I would have exactly the opposite suggestion.

A well-set-up guitar at any price level can play and sound gorgeous. The same guitar (not the same model, but the same exact guitar) can also play badly and sound nasty. Newbs walk into a store and try a bunch until they come across one that feels nice, and they often reject guitars that are actually better in every respect, but that don't feel good. They have no clue what a difference a really good setup can make.

If you play a guitar that sounds and feels good, then request that the store do a full setup before you buy it. This is (or should be) standard procedure. Unfortunately, not everyone does this.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 7, 2014,
Thanks for all the input, guys! So what I'm essentially gathering is:

- Have someone experienced with guitars come with me when I go to make the purchase.
- If buying new from GC, ask for one from the back and then test that one.
- Get whichever guitar I end up purchasing setup before I take it home.
- Stick with hardtails or string-throughs for my price range.

So now in regards to amps, which brand have you guys had the most success with? I noticed someone further up in the thread mentioned getting a Peavey Vypyr 30...
Used LTD 400 series and used first gen peavey vypyr 30...Done around 600$ total and you will be set for any tone really you could want

Any testaments to this claim or other entry-level/mid-range amps?
Last edited by Spyders at May 7, 2014,
New option added: PRS SE 245 in black.

Has anybody played a PRS before and would they recommend one for a beginner?
Equipment:

PRS SE 245
Vox Valvetronix VT20+

Things to Come ( with plenty of time ):

PRS Custom 22
BKP Aftermaths/Juggernauts/DiMarzio Titans
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Peavey 5150
4 x 12 Mesa Boogie cab
Last edited by Spyders at May 9, 2014,
Quote by Spyders
New option added: PRS SE 245 in black.

Has anybody played a PRS before and would they recommend one for a beginner?

I've played a decent range of PRS guitars in the past (from the most basic up to ones that cost thousands of dollars) and this is a brand that, more than any other, I would recommend you try first. Not because any of them have been bad; they're generally very well built guitars in my experience, but because their necks really run the gamut of shapes and sizes. I've played a couple that I actually like and generally really disliked the rest, purely based on the feeling of the neck in my hand.

They're not really starter guitars but that's purely based on price more than anything else; if you have the budget and you already know you enjoy playing guitar and want to stick with it then there really isn't any reason not to buy one you like.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.