I've been playing the guitar for about a year now. (I picked up the guitar last summer) I can play open, barre, and power chords. I'm finally getting muting down and I can play simple riffs. I'm obviously never going to stop learning, but I really want to start/join a band to practice along with a live drummer, bassist, and vocalist. The music I'm mainly into is alternative rock and folk rock. (so nothing too technical) Also, I'm 17 years old.
Last edited by ErutaN at May 6, 2014,
I don't know. Are you? You're the only one who can decide this. If you think you are, then go ahead and find a band.
Pretty much all you need to start is some open chords and the willingness to learn and play songs.

Strangely enough some guitarists find playing songs "boring". Unsurprisingly these guys never get into bands.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Start a band! There's no time like now!!!

In 5 years time, you may be asking the same question or asking 'what songs should be on our first ep' and planning a tour :-)

Don't postpone joy.
Even if u don't start/ join a band find another guitarist u can jam with and play some rythym and some lead , its amazing how good 2 guitars can sound together , and what u can learn , even from someone else whos not a knoffler or slash .
I would say that you are absolutely ready to join/start a band. Once you get something going with a few other musicians you'll learn what you need to improve on, which is usually a lot different than what you'd think.

Just find a couple friends who are into the same kind of music you're into and have fun with it.
You can always play with other people, no matter how good/bad you are. And you'll of course improve. I think you'll actually learn to play a lot better if you play in a band. At least a lot more musically. It'll also help your ears because you need to listen to the other members and your sense of rhythm will get a lot better.

You don't need to start a serious band. Just jam with your friends and play songs you like. Maybe write your own stuff.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Work hard at finding jam/band mates that play better than you. This will motivate and inspire you to be more :-)

They'll also help you improve!