Hi All,

Anyone got any suggestions for alternative strings for this guitar? Just curious of options. I play a range of music styles.

Rock
Grunge
Punk

Songs
Nirvana
Where Did You Sleep Last Night
About A Girl
All Apologies

Foo Fighters
Everlong
My Hero
The Best of You

Bon Jovi
Wanted Dead or Alive

Green Day
Good Riddance
Wake Me Up When Sep Ends

Pink Floyd
Wish You Were Here

Sometimes I strum, pick or both.

Thanks
Mark
my Fender Hellcat came with the obligitory fender strings...they lasted about 8 minutes once it got home. i put on some D'addario EXP16's and that really woke it up ! i have a bunch of Elixir light PB's that i'm gonna try on it next. the strings they ship with are such garbage.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
my Fender Hellcat came with the obligitory fender strings...they lasted about 8 minutes once it got home. i put on some D'addario EXP16's and that really woke it up ! i have a bunch of Elixir light PB's that i'm gonna try on it next. the strings they ship with are such garbage.

ohh...and that list... where the hell is the AIC ?
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by coolboarderguy
Hi All,

Anyone got any suggestions for alternative strings for this guitar? Just curious of options. I play a range of music styles.....[ ]....
I really think finding a single set of strings for a single guitar to cover such a broad range of styles, runs somewhere between blind optimism and a fool's errand.

Besides, if you read "Guitar Player" magazines, the experts will tell you that the tone is in your fingers anyway.

I suppose you have to have specialized military training to ruin a set of Fender coated strings in 8 minutes. To the best of my knowledge the Sonoran ships with an acoustic light, (.012 to .053), coated brass, 80/20 alloy strings. (Mine did, anyway).

These are in keeping with Fender's general tonal philosophy, which is that bright, twangy, "surfing sound".

In any case, if the guitar is too bright for your taste, go with a phosphor bronze string set. The D'Addario EXP-16's mentioned previously, are as good as any place to start.

ATM, on my Sonoran, I'm using a brass set of, D'Addario "custom light" (.011 to .052), brass (80/20). These are fairly bight, and lighten up the bottom end of the guitar, more than you might expect by the small difference in diameters of the bass strings.

I found, (in the case of my particular guitar), that .012 to .053 were too heavy and were buckling the soundboard. So, I went with the custom lights, and dropped the action, along with re-curving the top of the saddle to better match the fret board.

So, I'd pick a starting gauge and experiment between PB, and brass until you get a sound you like.

Everybody you want to sound like, are most likely using all different guitars, amps, effects, studios, etc. Plus, I seriously doubt any of them are using a Chinese Fender flattop as their, "go to axe".

I enjoy playing my copy of the Sonoran, and the sound character and playing action I've been able to coax out of it. So, have fun with yours.
So really, one "magic bullet" type of string to cover it all is well, a pipe dream.

If you have the "plug me in model", Sonoran, I'd suggest you start tailoring the sound there as well.

And BTW, when you say, "Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here", are you speaking to the 6 string, or the 12 string in the song?
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 7, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
I really think finding a single set of strings for a single guitar to cover such a broad range of styles, runs somewhere between blind optimism and a fool's errand.

Besides, if you read "Guitar Player" magazines, the experts will tell you that the tone is in your fingers anyway.

I suppose you have to have specialized military training to ruin a set of Fender coated strings in 8 minutes. To the best of my knowledge the Sonoran ships with an acoustic light, (.012 to .053), coated brass, 80/20 alloy strings. (Mine did, anyway).

These are in keeping with Fender's general tonal philosophy, which is that bright, twangy, "surfing sound".

In any case, if the guitar is too bright for your taste, go with a phosphor bronze string set. The D'Addario EXP-16's mentioned previously, are as good as any place to start.

ATM, on my Sonoran, I'm using a brass set of, D'Addario "custom light" (.011 to .052), brass (80/20). These are fairly bight, and lighten up the bottom end of the guitar, more than you might expect by the small difference in diameters of the bass strings.

I found, (in the case of my particular guitar), that .012 to .053 were too heavy and were buckling the soundboard. So, I went with the custom lights, and dropped the action, along with re-curving the top of the saddle to better match the fret board.

So, I'd pick a starting gauge and experiment between PB, and brass until you get a sound you like.

Everybody you want to sound like, are most likely using all different guitars, amps, effects, studios, etc. Plus, I seriously doubt any of them are using a Chinese Fender flattop as their, "go to axe".

I enjoy playing my copy of the Sonoran, and the sound character and playing action I've been able to coax out of it. So, have fun with yours.
So really, one "magic bullet" type of string to cover it all is well, a pipe dream.

If you have the "plug me in model", Sonoran, I'd suggest you start tailoring the sound there as well.

And BTW, when you say, "Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here", are you speaking to the 6 string, or the 12 string in the song?

Yeah, I do understand that all artists use different guitars/setups combined with their own unique playing styles. I wasn't asking for the "magic" strings, just some feedback on what others either use on theirs, like you, or in general. I don't expect my guitar to give me the correct sound of all of them. I just posted what I play for reference. Thanks for the info.
Quote by stepchildusmc
ohh...and that list... where the hell is the AIC ?

They're a little too heavy for my liking

Quote by coolboarderguy
Yeah, I do understand that all artists use different guitars/setups combined with their own unique playing styles. I wasn't asking for the "magic" strings, just some feedback on what others either use on theirs, like you, or in general. I don't expect my guitar to give me the correct sound of all of them. I just posted what I play for reference. Thanks for the info.
Well, Taylors are the big stage guitars nowadays. The Nashville guys have been using high end Takamines as well. Then there's the obligatory Martins and Gibsons.

My point was this, you're better off chasing the style of your preferred artists, than the specific sound.

For years I've had the suspicion that many, (or most) artists,string their acoustic before a gig, play them just long enough to have the, "new string sound wear off", play the gig, and then the cycle starts again.

Plus, the secret to sound is the same as the secret to real estate, location, location, location. If I had my druthers, I'd bang away in an empty cinder block gas station. This because the average living room is too small, and acoustically as dead as a doornail. Although, lacking natural ambiance at your disposal, it helps to have the very best studio reverbs at your disposal.

If you get around to trying any kind of brass (80/20 alloy), keep in mind they really sound like crap from the jump. But, in spite of them actually being softer than PB, they retain their, "chime" a fair amount longer.

The Fender medium brassies they shipped the Sonoran with, were too loud and bright for my taste, but the custom light brass seems to have worked out fairly well. Very often when I goof around with early Who, I tend to lack subtlety. Of course, so does Townshend.

You never did say which guitar in "Wish You Were Here", you liked best. IMHO, you really can't get into Floyd's acoustic tonality, until you have a 12 string.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 8, 2014,