Hi, I'm trying to decide on a multi-effects pedal. I'm kind of on a budget of around $100 or under. I have found 2 that really interest me; the zoom ms-50g and the zoom G1xon. These both meet my price point, but I can't decide which is better. I like the way the 50g looks and the under interface a WHOLE lot better. It looks much more clean, polished and fine tuned than the G1xon. Although the G1xon has an added expression pedal, plus a few extra effects. Is the added expression pedal and a couple extra effects worth it, or does the ms-50g do enough? Can anyone tell me if one of these pedals is better than the other or at least which one you would pick? Or maybe even a different suggestion all together? This will be my first effect pedal so I can only guess what to look for in a pedal. Any suggestions would be helpful. I just plan on playing in my room for myself; I don't need anything too fancy for live shows or professional recording or anything.
Last edited by drubertram at May 7, 2014,
Please, please save for the G3. It's much better than those two you mentioned. It can pretty much do everything (well the G3X) and is an actual quality bit of kit that you can use if you do ever get to perform outside of your bedroom. It's honestly worth saving for. I have the G5 and an analog pedalboard but I pretty much just use the G5 which tells you all you need to know.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
Actually I think the multistomp has the same fx "engine" as the G3. Imo it'd make an excellent first pedal just to see what kinda sounds you like and use before plunking down money blindly on a pedal you think you'll like and use.

Having said that, if you can stretch to a G3, the looper and drum rhythm metronome are well worth the extra $.

Also, just a tip, you may wanna get a seperate od/dist pedal. Most mfx have mediocre gain fx.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at May 7, 2014,
Quote by lucky1978
Actually I think the multistomp has the same fx "engine" as the G3. Imo it'd make an excellent first pedal just to see what kinda sounds you like and use before plunking down money blindly on a pedal you think you'll like and use.

Having said that, if you can stretch to a G3, the looper and drum rhythm metronome are well worth the extra $.

Also, just a tip, you may wanna get a seperate od/dist pedal. Most mfx have mediocre gain fx.

+1 to this. An excellent introduction to pedals that you may never grow out of.

Even though the MS50 has mostly the same effects, when you start fully utilising them the extra pedals you get to control your sound mid-song make the G3 or G5 much more usable in the longer term.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by lucky1978

Yep, good point. I would still reccommend it though if you were sure that you would soon outgrow it/want more pedals. And yes, try out which type of drive you like on the multi before buying a proper gain pedal based on whether you like fuzz/od/dist.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
I believe the GX1on has a looper and drum machine. The MS50 is great for a pedal to mix in with a pedal board, and is useable by itself. But I think I would rather get the GX1on if it was my first multifx.
Quote by diabolical
I'd suggest you look at used Boss Me-50 or 70, or their previous flaghip GT-8. You can find these for around $100 or little more and would do much better IMO.

Purely opinion of course, but I'd disagree with this. I used to own an ME-50, it's a pretty good pedal overall but the drives on it were poor. Also worth noting that while the ME-70 has more options, it is poorer build quality than the 50. (Never played the GT so no comment).

The ME-50 is also more limited the Zoom G3/5 in terms of overall effects, no amp sims, no looper, no interface. There is also an issue with lag if you're using the patch mode. The ME-70 might have amp sims & a looper, but there is still no interface and it's still more limited than the Zoom. Aside from brand reputation (which Zoom appears to be trying to improve on), Boss loses in every comparison I can think of.

Even so, if you find a used bargain it could be a good purchase.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by fly135
The MS50 is great for a pedal to mix in with a pedal board, and is useable by itself.

This.

I added an MS-100BT to my pedalboard so that I have the effects I want but doesn't use very often (like delays, various modulations, etc.), and "weird" effects to mess around with occasionally.
It handles other pedals extremely well, even if you're using the amp+cab modelling to record or to go straight to the PA/mixer.

The quality of both the effects and the amp+cab modelling really surprised me, to the point that now I just bring a guitar and the Zoom MS-100BT to the band rehearsals, and I plug it straight to the PA.

Also, between the Zoom MS & G series (the current ones share the same software) and the Boss ME series, the Zoom units are better IMHO. The Boss GT's are better than the Zoom units, though.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at May 8, 2014,
I have both the Boss ME50 and the G3 and have a-b'ed their fx many times and my ears much prefer the sound of the boss over the Zoom for most fx. I do use the Zoom far more because of the looper and amp modeling for headphone practice but the Boss destroys the Zoom when plugged into an amp, imo.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The ME series doesn't have "sims" in the regular sense of the word but they have the Boss OD-20 at its heart which has half of their sims as if going through amplifier. I will naturally go for the GT series - the pro line, built like a tank and best sounding IMO.

You can hear some ME-50 sounds here:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/me50/me50.htm

Zoom has always had that toylike quality and I can't say I like their emulations much.

Probably out of all the brands out there the ones I feel are as close to the real amps are the Vox Tonelab series.
Last edited by diabolical at May 8, 2014,
The ME's are all over the place and some do have amp sims. Boss is generally recognized as having very good FX across the line. But the amp sim quality depends on the unit with later units being noticeably better.
The GT series actually hasn't changed much. The GT-8 to GT-10 was minor upgrade in terms of sound (had both in the studio, they sound the same, GT-10 has USB audio driver capacity and looper), the GT-100 seems to have added a few more amp sims but is essentially the same unit as the GT-10 with slightly more advanced looper and they've gotten rid of a few floor pedals that actually in my view is a downgrade from the functionality of the GT-10.
The feedback I've heard is the amp sims in the GT-100 are an upgrade from other units. The amp sims in my ME-25 are IMO better than the GT-8 I had. I wouldn't mind having the new ME-80 as I'm a big fan of the Freeze effect implementation using the expression pedal. AFAIK Boss has the only freeze effect that uses an expression pedal.
Even having the multifx in your own hands really doesn't mean you will hear the difference. That's not a dig. I had a hard time getting sounds I liked out of my HD500 until my buddy borrowed it and put some great patches on it. You will hear people say that they've never heard good distortion on a multifx, but I've heard plenty. That's not to say it easy to dial it in yourself. No question, it is harder to dial in a good distortion tone with a multifx than a good stand alone pedal.
What I am saying is that the GT-10 and GT-100 don't sound that different. Maybe one of their new amp models will be a bit different but from the long search ofreviews and samples (a lot recorded via much better studios than my home), I still didn't hear a sound that I couldn't get with the GT-10...and with that in mind the GT-8 which I have experience with from the studio I worked in at the time it was "the new thing".
drubertram if you have no other fx pedals get the g1xon . you will appreciate having trails on your delays when changing sounds and a control pedal is a lot of extra fun!
dont listen to the fight above most multifx under 1000$ kind of suck anyway.
Quote by mousakathegreat
drubertram if you have no other fx pedals get the g1xon . you will appreciate having trails on your delays when changing sounds and a control pedal is a lot of extra fun!
dont listen to the fight above most multifx under 1000$ kind of suck anyway.

What, even though you're only allowed to use them with one of your amps?
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Hi. Newbie hear.
Probably a dumb question to ask. But here it anyway.

Just wanna ask about zoom...
Hope someone could help...

I cant decide what zoom multi fx should i buy.
But i'm planning to use it with a Boss DD20...

So my question, what zoom multi fx sounds good with a Boss DD20?
Last edited by euanmigz at Sep 22, 2014,