I tried my NS-2 in the fx loop of my dark terror and to say it sounded rubbish is an understatement. It was like I played a quick palm muted power chord and a few milliseconds later, the note happens, almost like I remember how a compressor sounds when turned up too high (I think anyway, haven't used one for a long time).

The NS-2 works really well for me out front but of course it then doesn't cut any of the hiss from the dark terrors monstrous amount of gain. But putting the NS-2 in the fx loop just sounds crap. This is what's putting me off using the X pattern as I like instant feedback when I play a note.

Is this desired behaviour or does it change depending on (a) the amp or maybe (b) the type of fx loop? I read loads of people here run it in the loop but I haven't read any complaints such as this.

Any ideas? Thanks.
I think the NS-2 is supposed to be in the front. Maybe try it at lower settings and on "reduction" instead of mute as you need it to filter not cut off completely.

You can try different noise gate - one that filters selectively like the MXR on mid or hi setting to filter just the noise in the loop. I had a friend that used the Rocktron Hush (one with single knob) to that effect in his 5150 and it worked good.
I don't expect deathly silence but there must be a happy medium somewhere. I'm getting this irritating noise described here too:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/2284845-post6.html

The 'Psssssssssssssssssssssssssstffffff' bit! It seems to kill notes dead in their tracks when the threshold is high with sustain being noticably shortened, lower I get that noise from the above link, in the fx loop it sounds like garbage. You're right, I def need to try some more gear. I admit I underestimated how much a pain in the butt it is getting a desirable tone. I didn't care when I was 18, just ramped up the gain and got on with it, what's happened?!
Well, maybe you're getting overly critical. I was watching a Gary Moore video earlier where he had a "whooooooosh" sound going on his dirty channel all the time in standby mode, didn't see to care about it and ripped.

I don't think you can filter all of it, filter some and see if you can find a happy medium. What about with the NS in front closing after you play, in the other mode, not "reduction" but whatever it was called?

If you get really picky and down to it, I've had friends that tried different types of preamp tubes and that lowered noise somewhat as well and all other kinds of tricks, some running one noise gate in front and one in the loop.

Maybe give the MXR or ISP a test drive and see if there is a difference. I had best results when I was running 2 noise gates in unison, one on the front and one in the fx loop. I was doing it via my Boss GT-10 in a 4 cable mode, i.e. the signal was looping at different point in the Boss twice, one in the pre and one in teh fx loop section so I could place 2 gates that way, one at entry and one in the loop.
Thanks. I'm gonna try some other stuff out and try and get that happy medium. I will start though with lowering the gain on the amp and use the overdrive to greater effect, that'll certainly help as a bunch of hiss comes after the NS-2 anyway.
where do you have the decay knob set?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
where do you have the decay knob set?

Threshold - Either min or around 9 o clock (tried a few variations)
Decay - Min
Mode - Reduction
aye. Yeah i dunno what's happening there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's because you're not using it right
Try it with the X pattern. Images on google can help you
Quote by Nikolai-Paul
That's because you're not using it right
Try it with the X pattern. Images on google can help you

I tried the X pattern, in the fx loop and out front, also with the OD in the ns-2 fx loop. Out front sounds best of all so far with the least noise.

guitar > OD > ns-2 > amp

I have dialled back the gain so it's actually pretty respectable at the moment. Seems OD at drive:0, volume:max, tone:4/5 o'clock and the amp shape at 1 o'clock with gain at about 2 o'clock gives a pretty kick ass sound. Still slightly lacking somewhere though, so I'm picking up an EQ soon.