Page 1 of 2
This is a topic that interests me quite a bit.

People of the pit, realistically speaking, will you be renting or buying a house? What's your attitude towards one or the other?
Given the actual choice, I don't see why anyone would rent...

I aim to get a mortgage as soon as I am financially stable
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Given the actual choice, I don't see why anyone would rent...

I aim to get a mortgage as soon as I am financially stable

Given the choice, aye, but nowadays the choices are not as viable.
We're renting right now but will most likely buy in the future. Most likely a small house or a condo.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
lol you don't rent if you don't have to. it's cheaper to own and you build that equity son
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
The benefits of home ownership aren't that clear cut. You could actually end up losing money. Also, the amount you have to spend in HOA fees, property taxes, etc, can add up to narrow the savings margin when compared to renting.

Renting is much more flexible, and it allows you to live in the city, and you don't have to worry about taking care of property. My friend just signed a lease for a newly constructed apartment and it is freaking luxurious as hell.

Honestly if money isn't a big consideration, I would rent. I would almost buy a house more for investing in real estate than to live in them.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I currently rent, could go ahead and buy the place cuz my land lord and I are tight. However, i may end up moving within the next year or two.
Sail upon the open skies
Almost certainly rent until kids, etc. become an issue. For one thing, I'm not convinced I'll have the money anytime soon to buy a place, but I'm not that keen on being attached to one place that long either. If all goes according to plan (it won't), I'll end up moving a lot anyway for work.
Quote by Xiaoxi
The benefits of home ownership aren't that clear cut. You could actually end up losing money. Also, the amount you have to spend in HOA fees, property taxes, etc, can add up to narrow the savings margin when compared to renting.

Renting is much more flexible, and it allows you to live in the city, and you don't have to worry about taking care of property. My friend just signed a lease for a newly constructed apartment and it is freaking luxurious as hell.

Honestly if money isn't a big consideration, I would rent. I would almost buy a house more for investing in real estate than to live in them.

You're basically saying what I'm thinking.

Going to move to Spain this summer and I see many more benefits in renting than buying. Especially considering the flexibility part.
Quote by Philip_pepper
You're basically saying what I'm thinking.

Going to move to Spain this summer and I see many more benefits in renting than buying. Especially considering the flexibility part.
It makes sense now, but if you're planning on staying somewhere longterm it makes way more sense to buy. But if you don't plan on living there for ten-fifteen-twenty years, you rent.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I have had a mortgage for some time, got a decent house. Owning a home has good and bad. Homes need constant attention and maintenance. I am pretty handy so i can fix most things. I used to think that owning was the only way to go but there is nothing wrong with renting at all. If you are renting and something goes out or breaks you just call someone and a guy comes to fix it.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by lolmnt
It makes sense now, but if you're planning on staying somewhere longterm it makes way more sense to buy. But if you don't plan on living there for ten-fifteen-twenty years, you rent.

Not necessarily true. You could buy a house/condo even without intending to live there long-term. You can rent out the property if the market is good.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
The only way I'll end up buying my own house if it's for a killer good deal and might need some renovating to bring the value up to be sold later on down the line. Until then, renting is my choice.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Not necessarily true. You could buy a house/condo even without intending to live there long-term. You can rent out the property if the market is good.

Becoming a landlord is much more of a commitment than most people wanna do.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lolmnt
Becoming a landlord is much more of a commitment than most people wanna do.

Again, not necessarily. There are agencies which manage that for you.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Renting. I probably won't be living in the area for more than a few more years anyway. So, I don't want to deal with having to buy a house AND then selling it in a few years.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Again, not necessarily. There are agencies which manage that for you.

Can confirm.

Sometimes I think what that would be like as a job.

Dealing with, say, 50 units or something.
the thought used to be that home ownership was the proper thing to do.
now a days its more cost effective to rent.
plus single family homes are now a thing of the past and multi family (condos/town houses) are popping up everywhere. basically they are starting to build upwards instead of outwards.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Rent cause I will never have enough money on my all at once to buy a home, and getting a mortgage is asinine and borderline irresponsible.
I just bought a house. I hate renting.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
bought.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Rent. I don't see the benefits of owning financially, unless you're investing in real estate vs. living in a house, and the whole stability thing doesn't interest me at this point.

I'd rather rent and take what would have been my down payment and make real investments that, you know, appreciate in value.
Eventually I want to own a house but for now I rent, thankfully rent and house prices are fairly cheap where I live.
I rent and probably will for the vast foreseeable future. I finished up my master's degree and will have a $300 dollar student loan payment every month for the next 25 years or so. I don't really want to add anymore debt on to that, especially since I haven't had my job long enough to risk buying a house. Decent houses where I live run about $200,000 USD.
this question deeply depresses me.. i live alone and pay €600 rent for a dump built in 1762 (yes i'm serious) + bills. considering that a small 1 bedroom house in need of serious renovations costs over €300.000 here it's likely that i'll never get that amount of money saved up before i die.

housing is ridiculously expensive in this country
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Last edited by vince1991 at May 8, 2014,
Quote by vince1991
this question deeply depresses me.. i live alone and pay €600 rent for a dump built in 1762 (yes i'm serious) + bills. considering that a small 1 bedroom house in need of serious renovations costs over €300.000 here it's likely that i'll never get that amount of money saved up before i die.

housing is ridiculously expensive in this country

That really sucks. I'm renting a 5 bedroom, 5 bathroom new-ish house for $900 a month + utilities.
Last edited by Thrill-house at May 8, 2014,
I would like to buy some property and have a house built once my career is in full swing. Can't have a bat cave in a suburban home.
Quote by Thrill-house
That really sucks. I'm renting a 5 bedroom, 5 bathroom new-ish house for $900 a month + utilities.

Holy shit. I couldn't even get a one bedroom apartment in my area for $900/month. In fact, the cheapest 1 bedroom apartment in my city on Craigslist right now is $1325/month.
I own my crib, and it's turned out to be a great idea. I try to get all my friends to consider buying some property, at least while the market is good.
Quote by Thrill-house

whoa.. that's great man. glad to see the house market hasn't gone mad everywhere.

over here, 50 years ago, a man could work while the woman stayed at home raising the kids, 1 income in the family was enough to support a family and save up to buy your own property within a decade.

and look how intolerant those people are now towards the youth for being young and stuff while it's actually so much harder for us to build a life compared to when they were young..

the world better prepare because i'm gonna be one hell of a grumpy granpa if i make it to my 60's
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Last edited by vince1991 at May 8, 2014,
I just torrent that shit
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Page 1 of 2