I'm looking for a new guitar again!

I already have a Les Paul and I'm looking for something to compliment it. NOT replace it.

I play quite a range of stuff but this is it mostly:

Blues Rock (Eric Clapton)

Pop Punk (Blink 182, Greenday, Fall Out Boy)

Pop Rock (Nickleback)

Rock (Foo Fighters)

Hair Metal (Bon Jovi, Poison)

Classic Rock (Led Zep, Stones)

Classic Metal (old Metallica, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden)

Modern Metal (ADTR, A7X)

My budget is £500.

I know I wont find a guitar that suits all of those styles so I'd have to choose a guitar that works for one of the styles. For example: a tele for pop punk, pop rock, rock, and blues rock or a schecter for metal styles.

The most important thing for me is a thin neck, thinner than my Les Paul at least. Also I'd really like good fret access.

Thanks

I'd like to stay away from strat too if possible
Last edited by JustGuitar98 at May 7, 2014,
Well, most of those styles have been played on all kinds of guitars. And you say you're looking to complement your LP, not replace it.

So, what styles do you play that YOU don't feel your LP covers adequately?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'd either get something with single coils (Strat, Tele) or something with higher output pickups (like a mid to high end Schetcher or Ibanez).
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, most of those styles have been played on all kinds of guitars. And you say you're looking to complement your LP, not replace it.

So, what styles do you play that YOU don't feel your LP covers adequately?

I guess it does the 80's stuff pretty damn well, and not a bad job on the pop punk side, so I suppose a "metal" guitar would be preferable. How good would a Tele be for metal?
Depends on the Tele- John 5 and a few others do pretty well with theirs...usually with high-output HBs or even active pickups.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by JustGuitar98

I already have a Les Paul and I'm looking for something to compliment it. NOT replace it.

I know I wont find a guitar that suits all of those styles so I'd have to choose a guitar that works for one of the styles. For example: a tele for pop punk, pop rock, rock, and blues rock or a schecter for metal styles.

The most important thing for me is a thin neck, thinner than my Les Paul at least. Also I'd really like good fret access.

First thing -- you could have had a Les Paul with a thinner neck and good fret access. I've got an LP with a thinner neck, shaved neck heel, great upper fret access, 24 frets, a Floyd. And not expensive. Just not Gibson.

Second -- don't necessarily connect the guitar with the rock style. My most versatile guitar for years was an HSH Carvin super strat with neck-through construction, 24 frets, awesome upper fret access, thinner (than a 50's neck LP) neck, 15" radius, medium jumbo frets and some interesting switching. I could do pretty much whatever there was to do with it.
Quote by JustGuitar98

I already have a Les Paul and I'm looking for something to compliment it.

I dunno, most guitars aren't that great at toadying, I find.

seriously, assuming you like all those things you listed equally, I'm with Pacifica Ocean- a tele will cover a fair few of those tones listed, and your LP should cover most of the other decently. On the other hand, if you're more concerned with the heavier tones then a more metal-orientated guitar might be a better idea. or maybe a superstrat for versatility and also ability at the heavier stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JustGuitar98
I'm looking for a new guitar again!

I play quite a range of stuff but this is it mostly:

Blues Rock (Eric Clapton)

Pop Punk (Blink 182, Greenday, Fall Out Boy)

Pop Rock (Nickleback)

Rock (Foo Fighters)

Hair Metal (Bon Jovi, Poison)

Classic Rock (Led Zep, Stones)

Classic Metal (old Metallica, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden)

Modern Metal (ADTR, A7X)

My budget is £500.

Thanks

I'd like to stay away from strat too if possible

Tele seems like the obvious choice for that budget if you're against getting a Strat ( but you should really get a Strat!)
For metal and a slender neck, I'd check out guitars from Ibanez and Fernandes.

Thanks guys, I think I'm edging towards a Tele but I will play a few metal guitars along with a Strat and perhaps one will shine for me
Gibson SG

Meets your requirements better than a Tele, two of the artists you mentioned (Clapton, Sabbath) helped popularize them, so they'll definitely suit your style better.

Tele's can be used for things like classic and modern metal, but with genres like that in your preferred styles list, as well as requirements like thinner neck, fret access, not-a-strat the SG checks all boxes.

Your budget is a little tight for another Gibson, but they're starting to offer some more affordable options in the SG range that really give you great bang for your buck.

EDIT: Check out the 2014 SGJ or SGM
Last edited by Nickpocalypse at May 8, 2014,
Quote by Nickpocalypse
Gibson SG

Meets your requirements better than a Tele, two of the artists you mentioned (Clapton, Sabbath) helped popularize them, so they'll definitely suit your style better.

Tele's can be used for things like classic and modern metal, but with genres like that in your preferred styles list, as well as requirements like thinner neck, fret access, not-a-strat the SG checks all boxes.

Your budget is a little tight for another Gibson, but they're starting to offer some more affordable options in the SG range that really give you great bang for your buck.

EDIT: Check out the 2014 SGJ or SGM

Would the SG not be a bit similar to my Les Paul? And my Les Paul is an Epiphone Custom by the way, not a Gibson
It would be more similar to it than a tele, for sure. But given the requirements you laid out in your OP, I'd say an SG ticks more boxes than a tele. I've got an LP and an SG, and they both definitely serve their own purposes, and there's a time to use each one. They're different enough that Les Paul himself hated the SG
The similarities between the LP and the SG begin and end with the pickups, really. There are other likenesses, but the overall differences in the bodies/necks put worlds between the two types of guitar.

Good luck!
Quote by JustGuitar98
Thanks, I might just have to try a Gibson SGJ now too!

Try as much as possible; you never know what guitar you'll fall in love with next, you might be surprised!
If you're going for the other end of the heaviness scale, I'd suggest giving Reverend Guitars a look, available in the UK here:

http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/reverendsetneckguitars.html

Quote by JustGuitar98
Thanks, I might just have to try a Gibson SGJ now too!

I'm loving my SG !!!!!
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75