Hey. Here's another instrumental I'm working on.
I'm not sure if should add some short introduction as a build-up? It may ruin the fast pace, so I might leave it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecpR36R4Zt8

I consider recording it, but, aside from some technical aspects of recording (I got an interface and a decent condenser microphone, I guess, but no drums [which require a more serious recording gear anyway] or bass guitar. But I might get a bass and combine it with programmed drums), some parts are kind-of difficult for me to play at my wanted tempo (the sweep I've added by the end of the solo is almost as ridicules as Petrucci's Constant Motion), but I guess I can work on that.

Anyway, some suggestions and opinions would help (other than regarding the lousy Guitar-Pro sound), and I can C4C if anyone wants.

Thanks.
Last edited by TLGuitar at May 10, 2014,
Pretty sweet writing. I was waiting for the guitar solo ~3:50 to run away in Petrucci style but I guess that's a stylistic thing. If you could find a way to make an intro without it being weird, that would be better I think. Overall really cool.
"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
the midi sound is nostalgic of nintendo. can't wait to hear the guitar track!
Where I come from, you don't play no guitar, you don't get no pussy
TLG,
Sounds interesting even if it is not real guitar. The intro riff sounds good, but sounds kind of repetitive after awhile, especially since it is sampled (I assume). Having some of what you have & adding real guitar in parts could be an improvement (or probably better yet 100% real guitar). The lead guitar (my favorite part) sounds more realistic & more pleasing to me than the rhythm guitar. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1641229
Thanks, all!

RealUnrealBob: so you think it didn't sound "Petrucci", or that it did and you expected it? I felt it did sound somewhat like in Constant Motion in that part.

someguy3399: lol, so maybe I should leave it this way?

aaeron_aardvark: the repetitiveness of the riff, are you referring only to the first section or in general? As I did write some of the other riffs in a derivative manner to keep consistency, but it's rather not reappearing. I thought maybe to play it with an octaver though as it's really bassy at the moment so it kind of gets smudgy at parts with all the distortion going on. Anyway, obviously I'll record all of the guitars completely if I'll finish this. I'll review you music later as I'm kind of tight on at the moment.

Thanks, more comments are welcomed.
Last edited by TLGuitar at May 8, 2014,
First thought is that it's a well written fast paced and melodic track. It would be great to hear it recorded properly! Riff at 2:56 is awesome - the part which follows from here is very interesting and imho maybe the track should get there a bit quicker? The solo around 3:45 really fits the feel of the song. The mid section of the song really kicks some serious ass, but the parts around it do feel a bit long.

Overall well written, and definitely deserves to be recorded.
I meant that it sounds somewhat like a Petrucci song, and since it sounded somewhat like one I was expecting it to sound more like one. If that makes sense. I was expecting an extended run from the bottom to the top of the guitar's range in Petrucci/Dream Theater style.. That's not to say you should do that, I was just expecting it. Very cool, and the bass definitely makes it better.
"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
RealUnrealBob: Yeah, I thought that that's might be what you meant. Well, a whole neck-run simply didn't come to me during the solo, but I guess I don't need to steal all of his schticks anyway Thanks.

powerhead: Thanks! Just what would be the middle section you refer to, exactly?

InnerDream: Waiting for your crit.
Last edited by TLGuitar at May 11, 2014,
The riff that kicks in at 2:53 - till about 4:40. The solo over it also just sounds awesome. It just works. It's well written and grabbed my attention.

I'm a big fan of choppy riffs like that .
Quote by powerhead
The riff that kicks in at 2:53 - till about 4:40. The solo over it also just sounds awesome. It just works. It's well written and grabbed my attention.

I'm a big fan of choppy riffs like that .

Thanks! I just meant to what exactly are the "parts around it"? Maybe the introduction to the solo or the more mellow finish to it?

And, anyway, if I were to quote my brother when he heard me working on that solo's riff, "that sounds like a kids' riff". I have no clue what would that even mean, but who cares.
Yes. I was also listening to them more than usual recently so it is partly related.

Regarding the "production", it's currently only the GP demo with some mixing in Audacity, not an actual recording. I have a PC interface I want to use but there's some sort of grounding problem (I assume) that gets high gain settings in Amplitube too noisy. I thought to try it on a laptop with a battery to see if it fixes the problem but couldn't get the audio driver to work on it for some reason.

The drums could be made digitally rather decently I guess, but I still need a bass which I don't own/play. I assume it can be somewhat tricky even if I can already play the guitar.

Anyway, thanks for your comment.
Last edited by TLGuitar at May 25, 2014,
If you have anything Guitar Pro related, I'd advise you to post it on the Tabs & Chords subforum. Besides being one of my favourite subforums, it's pretty much dead nowadays but you'd get more detailed crits over there, song structure wise. And I promisse I'll leave a lenghty crit over there if you do it
Quote by Ometh
If you have anything Guitar Pro related, I'd advise you to post it on the Tabs & Chords subforum. Besides being one of my favourite subforums, it's pretty much dead nowadays but you'd get more detailed crits over there, song structure wise. And I promisse I'll leave a lenghty crit over there if you do it

I guess I could post it there, but I somewhat preferred this than putting the actual sheet. Not like someone would probably "steal" it, but as I haven't finished writing it completely/recording it, someone meddling with the actual notes for me?
i think this sounds really great. it might also sound good if you change the octave on some riffs, like play parts on one octave then play the same notes on another octave. or throw in maybe a duplicate of some tracks (maybe the solos) at an octave lower. i think it would sound good on this. this was quite awesome
Last edited by SONNY MUNSON at May 26, 2014,
Quote by SONNY MUNSON
i think this sounds really great. it might also sound good if you change the octave on some riffs, like play parts on one octave then play the same notes on another octave. or throw in maybe a duplicate of some tracks (maybe the solos) at an octave lower. i think it would sound good on this. this was quite awesome

Thanks!

Yeah, that's basically what I was planning on doing, partially. I won't add it all over, but the repetition of the third riff (the 6/8 - 5/8 one), after the solo, now has a capo'ed guitar playing octave/counter melody to it. Just so it won't sound like an exact repetition as I usually don't like that.