I've posted this in other fora, and it came to me again in the context of the "Immediate connection" thread.

How important is good string-to-string balance between to you? I appreciate that it isn't an issue with OD sounds, but it is a major consideration for me when playing clean. For example, I cannot understand how anyone can use a vintage stagger strat pickup with a plain 3rd string, or a P90 or humbucker with the poles set flat.

I guess my sensitivities come from 30-odd years of playing acoustic before taking up electric, where string-to-string balance is even.

I wonder whether string-to-string balance is a major factor in whether someone likes or dislikes a particular guitar, maybe the effect is mostly at the subconscious level?
i'd say it's fairly important, even with od

though i never get round to fiddling with my pickups
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My Keeley 4-knob compressor is my favorite pedal. I'd suggest one to everybody.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
My Keeley 4-knob compressor is my favorite pedal. I'd suggest one to everybody.

I have a compressor fetish, I have four*, but I only use them to even out the output between single strings, double stops and chords in my fingerpcking. Difference in output between adjacent strings still bugs me.

*The Boss LMB-3 is my favourite, because the controls are nice and logical and it is transparent.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd say it's fairly important, even with od

though i never get round to fiddling with my pickups

Yeah it depends on the dgree of OD, once you get to fuzz nothing matters that much.

I find it very odd that folks such as yourself, who evidently have an interest in their gear, aren't seriously bugged the uneven output between strings. It just something you you get used to, and learn to deal with in your picking style?

I know one of reasons it bothers me. - I fingerpick and my middle finger most often plays the 3rd string, and my thumb the 4th. There is more attack from the middle than the thumb, so any weakness in the 4th string compared with the 3rd is exacerbated.
my laziness tends to win out over everything else, unfortunately. I actually used to do it when i started playing but then this past while I just never get round to it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?