What is the #2 best thrash band ever? (assuming Metalica is #1)

Poll: What is the #2 best thrash band of all-time?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is the #2 best thrash band of all-time?
Anthrax
3 8%
Slayer
9 23%
Megadeth
14 36%
other (speciify in comments)
13 33%
Voters: 39.
Page 1 of 2
Most would agree Metallica is the #1 thrash band of all-time (they headlined the Big 4 festivals, so 'nuff said). Let's not argue that. Instead, who do you think is the #2 best thrash metal band of all-time? Slayer? Megadeth? Anthrax? Another band (maybe Pantera, if that's considered Thrash)?

I expect it to be a battle between Megadeth and Slayer, but we'll see what you all think...
Last edited by Barricade_28 at May 7, 2014,
Well I'd say Metallica is number two, right behind Asking Alexandria, but since you ****ed that up... Asking Alexandria.
for cereal Vader is #1
Whats goes around must come down
Last edited by ichiefG13 at May 8, 2014,
Who the hell is Asking Alexandria? I just listened to a couple songs on Youtube, that isn't thrash. Get that shit out of my thread.
lol that was the joke brochacho. go check out vader now.
Whats goes around must come down
Metallica WAS the first Thrash band there is no argument to be made Megadeth would be 2nd followed very closely by Slayer (<-- more on that in a second). My answer is not based on anything after 1994. The reason I'm saying that is Slayer are now out of those choices the only band that stayed true to Thrash. You guys always forget Exodus as well. Megadeth (Namely, Dave Mustaine) gets shotgun anytime this subject comes up, but here are some facts for those of you who have either forgotten or weren't born yet. Metallica was James and Larz who later found Dave M. and Ron McG. , Ron was replaced with Cliff B. Dave shows James how to actually play guitar and writes most of K. E. A they club it , he never makes it to Rochester, NY to record the album gets replaced by Kirk H. from EXODUS.

So now Metallica are busy recording and selling K.E.A , Dave is putting together Megadeth , quickly it's Dave, David, Kerry King, Lee Rauch .... before they even make the first demo tape for Megadeth Kerry's out , goes and form/joins Slayer, Demo gets made and passed out. Fast forward in come Gar S. and Chris P. Now we have PEACE SELLS . Back track just a little here , Dave Mustaine showed James and Kerry his style Dave undoubtedly enhanced and influenced those 2 musicians ... you may not like him or think he is arrogant but the guy did PIONEER the FIRST 2 Thrash bands. Back to PEACE SELLS ... at this time NO BODY is playing this fast or with this technicality. Even by Metallica, Slayer, Exodus, Anthrax members own admission from Mtv interviews back int he day to documentaries over the years, Dave was the driving force for THRASH. So if you're speaking from a financial point of view Metallica won... if your view is who was the driving force behind the genre Dave Mustaine and Megadeth would be your answer. Little trivia bonus what was the first song ever recorded by Metallica and what album did it appear on? I'll check back for correct answers. P S who the **** is asking Alexandria... that can't be a Thrash band.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
**** Dave Mustaine.

“One thing that bothers me about the current underground heavy metal scene, however, is the amount of unnecessary slagging that’s going around. I don’t like people who slag – they’re just showing who the real loser of the bunch is. Now, Dave Mustaine is a prime example. He gets on the radio and slags the shit out of Metallica, and then goes as far as to drag us into the argument, crying about how they’re stealing his riffs and now our riffs. He can’t go anywhere without telling everyone how weak everyone else is and how great he is. He even went as far as to tell everyone that he taught me how to play guitar! We’re playing with them on Halloween night, so we’ll save the arguments until after the show, after we’ve humbled him (which, by all reports, they did).”

http://www.metalforcesmagazine.com/site/feature-exodus-mf9/

And in what world is Peace Sells the fastest or most technical thrash album of its time? Try Slayer/Dark Angel/Kreator/etc for the former, and Watchtower for the latter. Mustaine was a drug-addled hack and loser and could not possibly be forgotten soon enough.
Quote by HamburgerBoy
**** Dave Mustaine.

http://www.metalforcesmagazine.com/site/feature-exodus-mf9/

And in what world is Peace Sells the fastest or most technical thrash album of its time? Try Slayer/Dark Angel/Kreator/etc for the former, and Watchtower for the latter. Mustaine was a drug-addled hack and loser and could not possibly be forgotten soon enough.

Holt, and Hammett's playing were not on par with Mustaine's technically & speed at that time... Slayer had nothing close to Peace Sells (Sept 19, 1986) until a little over a full month later when Reign in Blood (Oct 27, 1986) released and they decimated ALL including MOP . Dark Angel practically unheard of and weren't under that name until later, Kreator are bad ass love em but the conversation is about American Thrash.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Last edited by Ikillintel at May 9, 2014,
Oh, just saw where you said **** Dave Mustaine... so it's personal for you cause your a hater... you have a narrow view of your likes and dislikes... countless interviews and documentaries holt goes back and forth with his love hate and facts as well. They were all doing DRUGS and booze Holt included, it made em all play faster
My newest addition,
Last edited by Ikillintel at May 9, 2014,
It's clearly Asking Alexandria, and Black Veil Brides are probably a close second.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Nuclear Assault
Quote by chrisyoonyoon
where i'm from it's very different with emotionships
Quote by The Virtuoso
It's clearly Asking Alexandria, and Black Veil Brides are probably a close second.

BVB for life!
Quote by Ikillintel
Holt, and Hammett's playing were not on par with Mustaine's technically & speed at that time... Slayer had nothing close to Peace Sells (Sept 19, 1986) until a little over a full month later when Reign in Blood (Oct 27, 1986) released and they decimated ALL including MOP . Dark Angel practically unheard of and weren't under that name until later, Kreator are bad ass love em but the conversation is about American Thrash.

You're clearly ignorant of anything regarding early thrash metal if you think album release dates are indicative of the first time a song was heard by the public. You're simply deaf if you think that this, in mid-1983, is less intense than anything Megadeth ever played at any year.

EDIT: But on the off-chance you are open to learning

Dark Angel, 1985
Slayer, 1985

And the op didn't say anything about American thrash, and who cares either way?
Last edited by HamburgerBoy at May 10, 2014,
Learning? what are you going to show me that I didn't see first hand or live through , that was MY TIME , I lived that scene and on the off chance that YOU LISTEN Holt , Ian, Blitz, Death Angel, LOG explain , maybe you'll believe them. http://youtu.be/SsssBWQDxbc quit being such a Dave hater , that is the trend around here though. The choices from the OP are American Thrash, which I would assume set the conversation up, and your boy from Kreator comments as well.
My newest addition,
Last edited by Ikillintel at May 10, 2014,
Quote by Ikillintel
Learning? what are you going to show me that I didn't see first hand or live through , that was MY TIME , I lived that scene and on the off chance that YOU LISTEN Holt , Ian, Blitz, Death Angel, LOG explain , maybe you'll believe them. [

quit being such a Dave hater , that is the trend around here though. The choices from the OP are American Thrash, which I would assume set the conversation up, and your boy from Kreator comments as well.

Based on your profile pic you look to be about 18. How exactly were you alive back then?
I was 21 in that picture , I am 40 now.
My newest addition,
You're lying/trolling. If you were really 40 and "living that scene" and etc, you wouldn't rely on Wikipedia to cite release album release dates and determine importance, you wouldn't be all "Dark Angel who?", you wouldn't be unaware of Slayer's pre-Rubin albums, and you wouldn't take people sucking Mustaine's pen0r on that Get Thrashed documentary seriously.
Now who's troll'n .
My newest addition,
yeah but what if, in the 80s, he was also a pleb
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
*scratches head* I've decided the mods must be so busy laughing at TS that that's the reason they haven't closed this terrible, terrible thread. At least TS is good for a few laughs though, so can't complain.
I'm pretty sure if I lived in the 80's I'd still prefer Asking Alexandria, wait I did live in the 80s! I was just a we lad.
Quote by The Wildchild
yeah but what if, in the 80s, he was also a pleb

impossible cus we all kno people who were alive during the 80s kno everything about the best music that ther is to kno. metallica, megadet, slayer, the list could go on...

i was born in the wrong generation
Thought I'd share

Venue was Ground Zero's in Spartanburg, SC Gary Holt , great guy talked with him outside the club asked him to sign my cards and cassettes. This one (Souza card) was actually signed by Paul Baloff , he had a broke leg ... he offered to sign the card even though it wasn't him, the guy was really cool to talk to, as Rick Hunolt went by like a blur fast toward the bus with a chick ... Paul said give him a few he'll be back out and sign... he never came back off the bus.

I have 2 of these signed by Marty from a guitar clinic he did in Gaffney, SC at Hames Music while he was with Megadeth one made out to my wife, one to me.

(Invalid img)
My newest addition,
^I read the same thing,
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Page 1 of 2