Hello there need a little help here...
So i am trying play a song which i believe the guitarist does harmonic on the 4th fret starting from high e string up to g string....i slightly touch the string on the 4th fret n move my finger away after i pick it but it doesnt work....i still cant get that harmonic sound....can any1 help ?i also tried to put my finger slightly just beforre the 4 th fret and still no result......any advice on getting that harmonic on the 4th fret.? Thank you.....n sry if my english is bad...
The 4th fret isn't one of the standard natural harmonic locations. They are 5, 7, and 12. That being said, you can still get one on the 4th fret but you will probably need a lot of distortion to hear it.
Try plucking the string midway between the 4th fret and the bridge. Does that produce a harmonic?
Quote by 757ian123
The 4th fret isn't one of the standard natural harmonic locations. They are 5, 7, and 12. That being said, you can still get one on the 4th fret but you will probably need a lot of distortion to hear it.

Ic.thx for the info.... i watched the cover of the song on utube n he pulled it off by using his ring finger on the 4th fret n finger picked it with his right hand.n i saw the actual band playing live (Still on utube)n i believe that the guitarist did the same too....any tips on the fretting hand ?thx b4
Quote by KG6_Steven
Try plucking the string midway between the 4th fret and the bridge. Does that produce a harmonic?

Err...ill try it out when i practice again.....thx 4 the tip
You don't exactly need to move your finger away after plucking, the harmonic should still ring. Try picking harder. Try as little pressure as you can. Fret 4 and fret 9 have the same note, so try 9 if that one's easier for you. Try super high gain to find them more easily and use pinky as that's your smallest/weakest finger. You can do something like lightly touching your string and moving very slowly up/down the fretboard while tremolo picking and realize how there are a ton of harmonics all over the place (Low E as that is the thickest and you won't accidentally mute as much). You'll get them if you're accurate enough when you know exactly where they are.
Quote by fanapathy
You don't exactly need to move your finger away after plucking, the harmonic should still ring. Try picking harder. Try as little pressure as you can. Fret 4 and fret 9 have the same note, so try 9 if that one's easier for you. Try super high gain to find them more easily and use pinky as that's your smallest/weakest finger. You can do something like lightly touching your string and moving very slowly up/down the fretboard while tremolo picking and realize how there are a ton of harmonics all over the place (Low E as that is the thickest and you won't accidentally mute as much). You'll get them if you're accurate enough when you know exactly where they are.

Thx 4 tips...anyway the harmonic part kinda like this
(All harmonic)
E-----4---------------------
B----------4----------------
G---------------4----6-----

Does it mean it s the same as
E-----9---------------------
B----------9----------------
G---------------9----11-----

thx for the info n sry if it such a noobish questions
the 11th fret and the 6th won't be the same, but the 4s and the 9s should be. might make it a bit more awkward to play, unfortunately.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think one of the factors is the guitar it's self. There's some guitars I can hit certain harmonics on and not on others.