Page 1 of 2
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
not my first gibson, but i have to say the qc has really gone down hill. probably stick to the mij stuff after this.

i've seen better finishes

extra springs for the sustain. notice the small block so there's less mass to mess up things.

review - it weighs 7.28 lbs or about 3.2 kilos. it's got a lot of scratches and nothing works.

acoustically it's really thin sounding. not too bad in the shower with the door closed though.

action is kinda low but i can get used to it.

i expected a lot more from gibson.

i should have gotten a funder.
RBM01991
80's Metalhead
1,636 IQ
oh my god....what kind of 90's grunge fagg0t did that to that poor instrument to make it look more edgy? Some people really do deserve the death penalty. OP...This better be a project guitar.
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
267 IQ
How much did they pay you to take that pile of shite away from their house?
[..BLACKFIRE..]
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,165 IQ

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
That guitar...

What...

I...

Err...

It...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
The Judist
The problem is choice
2,142 IQ
With a hammer :P

HNGD
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark
6,721 IQ
Can't wait to see what you'll do with it. It has LOTS of potential.

HNGD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

KingChris90
Banned
119 IQ
Is it an Epiphone or an Gibson? it says epiphone on the headstock.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by KingChris90
Is it an Epiphone or an Gibson? it says epiphone on the headstock.

i can't believe we made it this far before someone mentioned that.
KingChris90
Banned
119 IQ
Quote by gregs1020

I got eyes like a fox
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
That Epiphone looks so punk.

Put some dimarzio super distortions in it and cover them with the very same silver paint to make it look untampered with. It would be a brutal guitar to smash in a jazz club.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by gregs1020

i saw it too but i preferred the smiley
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Quote by gregs1020

I noticed- that's why I posted the ...

Srsly, wdf IS that?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
dspellman
1,110 IQ
The GIBSON version of this (it's an M III ) is still a bit uggerly, but it's a set neck, and it's a really good guitar. 24 frets, 25.5" scale, jumbo frets. I think they just reissued it, in fact, but because Gibson has its head up its ass when it comes to reissues, they've left stuff off the new one that made it cool as an original.

In its inimitable style, Gibson issued this "super strat"(ish) burner guitar pretty much at the end of burnerdom 80's rock, so it didn't sell well. In addition, it wasn't the right brand name (and/or the Gibson Customer was so horrified that they, too, covered their eyes and ran), so it didn't sell well. There's actually a Les Paul M III out there (and a Studio Lite M III) with the three pickups and same control setup.

About that control setup. That's a lot of what's very cool about this guitar. See that miniswitch between the knobs? That selects HOW the five-way will work. In one position, the humbuckers are all in single-coil mode and the guitar works exactly like a strat. Hit the miniswitch and the five-way now works in an entirely different way,with all humbuckers in full humbucking mode. The first three positions are bridge only, bridge plus neck and neck only (not necessarily in that order). The fourth position is (I'm trying to access specific brain cells here that have long since been pickled by drugs, sex and rock and roll) a "special position" with, as I recall, both HB pickups selected, but a rolled-off bass on the neck pickup. The final position is OFF. A kill switch, in effect, so that you can set the guitar down, walk away, leave everything else on and it won't be vibrating the plaster off the walls when you return. In any case, you can use the guitar essentially as an LP or as a strat, depending on how you set the miniswitch. Very cool.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
i think you've said that before, and i think i've said this before, but that's a pretty cool control setup there
Quote by classicrocker01

gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
okay i'll fess up. it's my buddy's first guitar. like some of you he's had more than he can remember since then but always kept this one.

and i knew you guys kept hush on the epi headstock.

but i told him to send it to me and i'd mess with it. he doesn't care what i do to it, he knows he'll get something cool back. i still haven't decided what finish it may come down to what i find in a auto parts store.

Quote by dspellman
The GIBSON version of this (it's an M III ) .... Very cool.

never doubted you for a minute.

hey what's the string spacing? or should i message parwui?
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 11, 2014,
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by classicrocker01

WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist
6,023 IQ
You seen those newer ford focuses? I've ever seen them in bright green or bright orange. Do it in orange and it will look badass.
I K0nijn I
1,039 IQ
Gotta love how the guitar looks like shit, but the headstock has been cleaned apart from where the strings are.

Hope you make something out of it though, it could look badass. HNGD!
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse
1,003 IQ
Orange would be cool, straight orange tint (go to a spray painter/panel shop to get a mix) with a tiny little bit of metallic. Black speed knobs and a new chrome mini switch for the single coil/humbuck swap thingo, new 5 way with the black knob to suit the speed knobs, and maybe something like a floyd... or some other really cool trem that Ive never even imagined before. Id even pay money for something like that... If the paint is done wel and has had the living shit buffed out of it it should look stunning.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ

bright orange was a very close second choice for color. the gibson re-issues come in that color so it was decided to go a different more "traditional" bolt on color.

Shoreline Gold it is, with matching headstock. jorge wants a satin finish though, no gloss anywhere on the guitar. hey i'm cool with that, a lot easier than layering thirty-eleven coats of lacquer on there.

headstock decal, it was an inside joke but we're going with it anyway. the guitar looks like a sancho.

the bridge spacing is ****ing ****ity **** not. it's 2 1/16 for the post centers, so i'll probably fill and re-drill for a hard tail he wants now... argh.

up for consideration is filling the center single coil route and just going HH or H/P-Rail. could fill the toggle hole or put in a kill switch. that's all still being deliberated.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 10, 2014,
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ

poplar body less a lot of crap finish. i've confirmed it was rustoleum silver over the thick poly red. horrible stuff.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
What about putting something else in that singlecoil slot like a Sustainer...or a chromatic tuner?

Or just some LEDs?

alhaq369
dspellman
1,110 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What about putting something else in that singlecoil slot like a Sustainer...or a chromatic tuner?

Or just some LEDs?

Sustainers don't work in the middle position.
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
267 IQ
Hey there's a guitar under there...
[..BLACKFIRE..]
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Quote by dspellman
Sustainers don't work in the middle position.

Ah, yeah- forgot that.

alhaq369
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
Whoever molested that guitar clearly belongs in the rehab. Here's hoping that you can bring it back from its shame and degradation.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
yeah we should get this moved at this point.

got the pup surrounds, output jack mount and some other stuff ordered.
cheapo gfs stuff.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 11, 2014,
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Thank god Dr. Greg got this bad boy before it was too late.

Can't wait to see the finished product.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
thanks alan, i got most of the parts in, he ordered two p-rails for her which haven't arrived yet.

i have to start chiseling out a block to fill the single coil route. i may even use a chisel just so this post is accurate.