Effextz!!! How should I splash the cash?

Sup guys and the occasional gal!

I've been saving for about a decade now and I'm finally getting close to the rig I want. I just recently bought a brand new Fender Telecaster American Standard 2012. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a Vox AC30 to go with this, but my question is how should I spend my money on effects.

My first thought would be to buy the Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II XL ($2499.95) and the Fractal Audio Systems MFC-101 Mark III ($800). For a total $3299.95 I'd get access to some of the best amp and cabinet simulation on the planet (if not THE best), pretty much every effect you can imagine, and a rugged switching unit with heaps of buttons.

The only thing I could think of that might be better would be to buy actual effects pedals and connect them in a floor board. There are a lot of well known artists using the Axe-Fx now, but I'm not 100% sure which would sound better: the Axe-Fx or real pedals and effects.

It's basically not a question of price, but a question of which would sound better.

So UGers, what do you think? Axe-Fx or physical effextz boxes?
Its hard for me to imagine such a circumstance, but I'm pretty sure I would go with a gigantic pedalboard filled with dozens of individual pedals. Its one thing if you're a pro and you need practical gear, but if you just love playing guitar and money isn't an issue, why not get the real pedals.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The problem is I haven't actually used any of the real pedals or the Axe-Fx in an environment where I can tell which sounds better in the mix! I'm hoping to hear from people who have actually used or heard what the Axe-Fx can do.
look into a kemper before you make any decisions on AXE______

drop $400 on a used POD HD500. good enough for about anything. spend the rest of your budget on individual pedals.

or a strymon mobius and just go for some boutique pedals. they are more fun IMO, you can sell, buy, buy just about anything if it isn't fitting your need sell and buy another.

also one personal thing that i hate about computers in general, is that yea thats the best axe now, but what if they put out AXE3 in two months? your axe is now inferior. i don't know how you are, but i like keeping towards the top.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have MFX units, modeling devices and discrete pedals. Each has advantages, but overall, I prefer the variation and control you get with discrete pedals.

Plus, if one pedal dies, it's just one pedal. If your MFX or modeler unit dies, you lose everything.

And I say that, when the reality is that most of my practice is done on modeling devices.

With pedals, there's the fun of assembling your tonal chain: what pedal goes where? What happens when you change order? Because order DOES matter.

What happens if you use multiple effects pedals of the same type...though not necessarily the same brand? Some cool things happen when you have multiple delay pedals set differently, or using different OD pedals for clean boost and distortion.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 8, 2014,
Well if thats the case and money isn't an issue why not get the axe fx and then buy individual pedals if you happen to come across one or a dozen that does what you want to do better than the axe-fx does what you want to do. Sounding better "in the mix" is pretty subjective.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't have expertise on the matter, just, apparently, more pedals and infinite gas. All opinion, speculation and boredom.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
what is the remainder of your budget?
more detailed genre or favorite tones?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I don't think you can shortcut your way to a perfect rig. I think a perfect rig comes about through a lot of trial and error.

Don't try to get everything at once, is my advice. Figure out what you actually need. Get some pedals. Get a Line 6 M9 (or a POD HD as mentioned above). Try out analog stuff and digital stuff, see what works for you and what doesn't.

There is no right or wrong to digital or analog. I have used both in conjunction for a long time.

Do you have any idea what kind of effects you want or need? I can give you some pointers and suggestions.

While we're here, we can recommend you an amp as well, just in case something might suit you better.

The most important thing we need to know is: what bands have a sound you'd like to get close to. The more specific the better (Song > album).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
We'll, he's got a Fender Tele, and his eyes on a Vox AC30- I'm thinking classic rock.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

When it comes to a multi-fx like a Axe-FX or Kemper, I think you have to consider what you really want and why you're using it. They can be really expensive or a great value. If you look at a lot of touring guitarists using an Axe-FX, most still use their pedal boards and plug them into amps, tube poweramps, and cabinets. They're not even using most of its options, they're just using it as to get to the signature sound they always had. The Axe-FX is used mainly because there's less that can go wrong with it and it's programmable. But they're great as a recording tool if you need a lot of options.

But if you want an AC30, there's no replacement especially when it comes to actually playing and not recording. And the same is true of the effects in it. An Axe-FX likely isn't going to have every effect you'll want and it's going to have a lot of things you'll never use. It's one of those things where you have to ask why you want it and what you'll use it for. $3,300 might be better spent elsewhere on gear than on an Axe-FX. It's not something that makes sense for everyone to have.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
We'll, he's got a Fender Tele, and his eyes on a Vox AC30- I'm thinking classic rock.

Probably. But you never know.

I'm more apt to rec. a 2203 or a DSL for classic rock though, hence why I'm just curious about what bands he wants to sound like. Cause an AC is pretty much it's own thing (as you know )

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd like to be able to try out different genres. Alternative rock is really my thing at the moment but (Radiohead, Brand New, Death Cab For Cutie, Cursive, Modest Mouse) and the AC30 seems to fit the bill for a lot of these bands tonally. I'd also love to be able to play stuff like Coldplay, Mutemath, John Mayer.

The 2203 and DSL look great, but I never saw myself as a Marshall player. It would be a lot heavier as well which is a big drawback for me. Pretty great sound but.

From my research the Axe-Fx totally DESTORYS the Kemper and Eleven Rack. I'd basically be using it to emulate cab/effect/mic chains, what it was designed to do.

Definitely trial and error, but I don't understand why you would recommend inferior gear or little effects units when tonal purity is the goal here.

I don't have a defined budget, but I've got about $20k per year I can invest on gear.

lucky1978, I can't believe I didn't think of just getting both! I might start with the Axe-Fx and then get a real amp and pedals later if it no longer cuts it. I want the sort of people that people will go "wow that sounds amazing" while still appreciating the song overall.

Thanks so much for all the replies.
Quote by squidlips
From my research the Axe-Fx totally DESTORYS the Kemper and Eleven Rack. I'd basically be using it to emulate cab/effect/mic chains, what it was designed to do.

Definitely trial and error, but I don't understand why you would recommend inferior gear or little effects units when tonal purity is the goal here.

Well you need to do some better research because your conclusion is wrong.

Both the Kemper and the Axe FX are very capable pieces of kit. Any differences in tone quality will be marginal at best - if they exist at all - and subjective in any case. Just because the tones differ slightly, doesn't mean one is better than the other.

Why are you also planning to buy an AC30 as well as the Axe? What is your thinking behind that decision? Why not buy a powered wedge or flat powered monitor and feed the Axe though that using the AC30 patch?

You can't even feed the Axe into the power section of an AC30 because they don't come with effects loops. You will have to go into the front of the amp and that won't be the best solution at all.

If you do buy the Axe (or Kemper or whatever) then you need to be prepared to invest time in learning how to use it, and I mean weeks. They are full of options and to get your sound you will need to be patient. An AC30 you can plug in and get a great tone straight away but a top end modeller will be more demanding.

Even trying something like a Kemper is problematic because the stores don't always set them up with the tweaks for the power amp they are using. Even the headphone outputs have something called "spaces" that need using and tweaking to get them to sound right through cans. I guess the Axe is similar.

By the way I don't own either a Kemper or an Axe. My knowledge is - like yours - from internet searching, so you may want to find forum'ites who do own them and pick their brains.
Quote by squidlips
I'd like to be able to try out different genres. Alternative rock is really my thing at the moment but (Radiohead, Brand New, Death Cab For Cutie, Cursive, Modest Mouse) and the AC30 seems to fit the bill for a lot of these bands tonally. I'd also love to be able to play stuff like Coldplay, Mutemath, John Mayer.

The 2203 and DSL look great, but I never saw myself as a Marshall player. It would be a lot heavier as well which is a big drawback for me. Pretty great sound but.

I don't have a defined budget, but I've got about $20k per year I can invest on gear.

lucky1978, I can't believe I didn't think of just getting both! I might start with the Axe-Fx and then get a real amp and pedals later if it no longer cuts it. I want the sort of people that people will go "wow that sounds amazing" while still appreciating the song overall.

Your research is flawed. The AXE is very nice but it is a modeling amp, a very good modeling amp. But IMO it still falls short of recreating the real amps

The Kemper is a profiling amp. This means the kemper actually records the real amp and downloads that for use on the kemper. So your getting real "snapshots' of the amps sound and from what I've heard is indistinguishable from the real amps. But the amps that are profiled have a more limited EQ range

I agree with getting the AC30 that you want and then get a Line 6 POD HD500 to help you figure out what FX you do want
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You're gonna spend 20k per year on gear!!? Of which you don't know what or why but you're dedicating 20k to it? Thats not "tonal purity", thats spoiled waste. Though I admit I'm not sure what you mean by "tonal purity"
Quote by squidlips
I want the sort of people that people will go "wow that sounds amazing" while still appreciating the song overall.

I assume you mean "gear" not "people".

In any case the answer isn't gear, it is practice. You might not have come accross this concept but tone is in the fingers.

A poor player through fantastic gear will sound poor. A great player through average equipment will sound great.

It is arguable whether non-guitar playing audience members at a gig will know or care whether your tone is brilliant if the room is noisy and they are dancing and drinking.

Spend a couple of thousand on gear, then the rest on lessons. Then people mights say "wow".
Quote by squidlips

I agree an AC30 would be a pretty good choice.

However a Marshall stack being heavier than an AC30? Nope. Not at all. separate head and cab are really easy to carry separately, especially since most cabs have wheels. a 2x12 combo that is just everything in one big box is MURDER on the back.

Most people here, myself included, find that the Kemper sounds more realistic than the Axe. And those last few percents of getting it "perfect", every percent goes a long way IMO. Eleven Rack is not in the same league, IMO. It's more comparable to POD HD. Idk much about the 11R, but on the POD HD, you do select amp, cab & mic in your chain. I was messing around with mine last night, with the dual amping feature, and if you really want to experiment, I highly recommend a Pro X or an HD500X for the extra DSP power.

I have a couple boutique pedals. I have a POD HD & an M9. I don't consider, and I think most people with actual experience using them do not consider Line 6 FX to be inferior. Is Axe better? Well yeah. But there are serious diminishing returns issues going on there.

It's also very hard for me or probably most people here to visualize your financial situation. I recommend Line 6 because it is good enough, and it's not a pointless waste of money when you don't even know exactly what works for you yet.

I mean, if money is literally no issue, if you're in a very fortunate situation in life, then have at it, compare the Axe 2 & Kemper side by side. That would be great. But my natural tendency is to reduce money wasting.

Also note, that if money were no issue, I would not be bothering with a digital modeler at all, I would have a couple heads in a rack case, or a Randall RM amp of some sort in a rack case, MIDI'd out with real pedals in loops and digital FX as well. I've seen a few bands with tube amps live, and then later on with Axe FX live, and the difference is tangible to me. Axe FX, the sound is just "there". It sounds right, it sounds good, but the feeling isn't there. Digital reproduction just simply lacks punch and kick. It's an awesome, awesome tool for recording, but IMO, it does not cut it live.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
In some ways this ties into my thread about immediate gratification. Most of us on this thread are experienced musicians and given the amount of money the op is considering investing we would all come up with rigs that will deliver pretty much what we want.

Now, consider an inexperienced musician, just starting out. After buying some reasonable equipment - and yes the cash amount is subjective but I suspect we will all be within a margin of error of each other - the best return on investment in my opinion is to take lessons and to practice, both alone and with others of similar abilities. Only after that has had an affect on their playing would they be in a position to invest their capital in a different way and see a benefit from it.

I mean, he may not like Eric Clapton but the op is in a position to replicate Clapton's live rig at half his budget. A custom shop Clapton Strat and an EC Tweed amp will be much less than his budget, but he won't sound like EC without a few thousand hours of practice. You can replace EC with any artist you choose but the principle still relevant.
Quote by deano_l
I assume you mean "gear" not "people".

In any case the answer isn't gear, it is practice. You might not have come accross this concept but tone is in the fingers.

A poor player through fantastic gear will sound poor. A great player through average equipment will sound great.

It is arguable whether non-guitar playing audience members at a gig will know or care whether your tone is brilliant if the room is noisy and they are dancing and drinking.

Spend a couple of thousand on gear, then the rest on lessons. Then people mights say "wow".

This is the best post in this thread. I could not have said it better. At bars & parties, no one give a shit about tone if it's played well.
And $20K a year on gear? Bring on a 1958 Flying V, one each of every amp I've ever wanted, & a Ducati Panagale. Or 2.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at May 8, 2014,
Quote by squidlips
Effextz!!! How should I splash the cash?

Sup guys and the occasional gal!

I've been saving for about a decade now and I'm finally getting close to the rig I want. I just recently bought a brand new Fender Telecaster American Standard 2012. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a Vox AC30 to go with this, but my question is how should I spend my money on effects.

My first thought would be to buy the Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II XL ($2499.95) and the Fractal Audio Systems MFC-101 Mark III ($800). For a total $3299.95 I'd get access to some of the best amp and cabinet simulation on the planet (if not THE best), pretty much every effect you can imagine, and a rugged switching unit with heaps of buttons.

The only thing I could think of that might be better would be to buy actual effects pedals and connect them in a floor board. There are a lot of well known artists using the Axe-Fx now, but I'm not 100% sure which would sound better: the Axe-Fx or real pedals and effects.

You've pretty much rendered most of the Axe-FX pointless by buying a Vox AC30 (assuming that you're going to run the Axe-FX through the Vox).

Before you "splash the cash," you might want to get to know the gear.
I've got an Axe-FX Ultra, a variety of Pods and two of the big flap-top bins of FX, some worth silly money because I bought them long ago.

At the one end of things, you have the Axe-FX II plus the MFC which, as you've pointed out, represent north of three grand worth of gear. The optimal use of an Axe (or a Kemper or even a Pod HD, for that matter) is through an FRFR system that allows you to take advantage of the two thirds of the Axe-FX that you'll be ignoring if you use it solely for FX. The ideal mate would be any of a number of true FRFR systems including the CLR powered coax speaker sold by Atomic Amps (the partner company to Fractal). Another grand, but if you're splashing cash, what the hell?

My personal favorite rig is the Pod HD (no, the *bean* version) with a Torpedo C.A.B., a good power amp (mine will crank out 1500W) and one or two fEARless F115's (just google them). The Pod is small, compact and, if you spend some time with it, an outstanding little boodle of amps/cabs/FX that you can simply set on a desk or pop into a gig back pocket and take anywhere. The C.A.B. gives you power amp and cabinet IRs that really seem to overcome the slightly weak link of the Pod and bring it (in some folks' eyes) up to the level of the Kemper, or nearly so. Leave it in the backline and you can run an FBV Shortboard or Express via nothing more than an ethernet cable out to the front of the stage. The expensive electronics stay in the backline, and you can send MIDI signals from those footpedals as well as anything. Note: NO AC bricks or connectors and no guitar cables running from the backline out to the front of stage and then back again. Both the boards have tuner displays, expression pedals, all that.

So let's look at the conventional pedalboard with, say, 7 pedals (you can run up to 7 FX at a time with the Pod, which is where the number comes from) plus a tuner. The first thing you need with that setup is a power brick (or a bunch of 9V batteries) and an AC plug. No, wait-- the first thing you need to do is BUY 8 pedals (including the tuner). If you're not buying cheap crap, you're spending an average of $100 per pedal, and there are a lot of $250 pedals out there, so let's put the cost at somewhere between a grand and $2500 for all the bits and pieces, not counting expression pedals. All of the multiFX, by the way, have many more FX than that available. Now we need to look at having a whole bunch of failure possibilites (connectors on the little short cables jumpering the pedals, connectors on the AC brick, internal electronics, switches, etc.) including the two relatively expensive guitar cables running from the backline to the front and back.

Let's say you want to change more than one effect at a time. Now you're spending for a Midi switcher or a Voodoo or somesuch, and you can't adjust the pedals each time. With a multiFX, it's a simple preset. Let's say you want to change the order of the chain. Multi-FX preset to the rescue. Let's say you want to change the settings on each pedal in the chain for the next stomp. Not gonna happen with a pedal board, but that's a piece of cake with a Multi-FX preset.

I've got a huge investment in both current and vintage pedals in that pair of bins of FX. But honestly, for 95% of whatever I'm doing, the Pod HD works perfectly. I can run headphone practice, direct to an arena mixer, direct to recording gear, direct to desktop nearfield powered monitors, yada yada, in addition to my FRFR speakers.

As mentioned, I have the Axe-FX Ultra. it's a $2000 piece that's no longer the top of the line and definitely not worth $2K any more. In order to GET the top of the line, I need to spend another $2400. As soon as the Axe-FX II is replaced, I'll need to spend whatever THAT costs to get the new version. That's true of the Pod HD as well, but I paid under $200 for it.

I've also got backup (if you're doing live work, having backup is vital) that's virtually identical to the Pod HD (it's a Pod X3 that's set up to similar presets). Think for a minute what you'll need to have as backup if your Axe-FX or its pedal board craps out. Think about what that backup will cost to run something nearly identical to your hero rig.
I've been looking at a lot of Premiere Guitars' rig rundowns, and its interesting to see what pros actually use on tour.

Some use almost nothing besides a tuner and a couple of pedals, while others use huge arrays of pedals that look like the bridge of a starship. Some use MFX pedals or rack units exclusively.

Some use a mix of pedals and MFX units. (My guess is that the pedals deliver certain key sounds not readily available with MFX units, while the MFX units handle the heavy lifting of switching between lots of different effects simultaneously.)

It's also interesting to note that some guys prefer boutique stompboxes, and others have a pedalboard you could assemble at GC or Sam Ash for under a grand- Boss shows up a LOT.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 8, 2014,
On my pedalboard, I have the following (as well as compressor and drives, but I'm not focusing on that right now)

Eventide Pitchfactor
Eventide Space
Eventide Modfactor (had one, sold it)
EHX HOG
EHX Micro POG
EHX Super Ego
Digitech Xp-1000 (space station, reverb, whammy, mod)
EQD Rainbow Machine
EQD Organizer
Strymon Timeline
Strymon Mobius
Strymon Big Sky.

I've also used an AxeFX II extensively for a while before selling it because, compared to the individual pedals listed above, it sucked.
Awesome!
Grab a small fender mustang to take back and forth to your lessons. As for pedals vs. Multi effects I'm going to say pedals simply because new awesome gear comes out all the time in terms of pedals.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Ever been to a decent show with decent lighting and decent sound equipment? It totally blows my mind almost everytime I see a good show, that's the sort of thing I want to give people, not just some background noise at a pub.
Quote by squidlips
Ever been to a decent show with decent lighting and decent sound equipment? It totally blows my mind almost everytime I see a good show, that's the sort of thing I want to give people, not just some background noise at a pub.

who are you "want to give people"

if thats the point get an AC30 and spend $10k+ on a PA system and lighting and a few hundred on mics and know how to use them..

are you actively gigging?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by sheaaa
On my pedalboard, I have the following (as well as compressor and drives, but I'm not focusing on that right now)

Eventide Pitchfactor
Eventide Space
EHX HOG
EHX Micro POG
EHX Super Ego
EQD Rainbow Machine
EQD Organizer
Strymon Timeline
Strymon Mobius
Strymon Big Sky.

I've also used an AxeFX II extensively for a while before selling it because, compared to the individual pedals listed above, it sucked.

nice board. damn. i bet you can get some really sweet tone out of that. are you running them midi or anything?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by sheaaa

Eventide Pitchfactor
Eventide Space
EHX HOG
EHX Micro POG
EHX Super Ego
EQD Rainbow Machine
EQD Organizer
Strymon Timeline
Strymon Mobius
Strymon Big Sky.

See, I've owned most of those, and considerably more. IMO, other than the Eventide stuff, it all sounded like crap next to the AxeII I had. Considering going back to just an Axe or Kemper, TBH. If I had to start all over again, I'd just buy an Axe and be done with it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by squidlips

Okay imagine you are at a a gig with great lighting and sound and your mind is being blown. Then the guitarist's girlfriend runs up to him saying he's won the lottery and they both skip off to the Bahamas. They need a guitarist to carry on..."

Are you good enough to play in that band.

If not, then learn to play first. Get a decent guitar and amp to practice on in your home and to jam with friends. Put the hours in and get good enough to join that band.

Then join a band and then worry about the PA and lighting.
Quote by deano_l
Okay imagine you are at a a gig with great lighting and sound and your mind is being blown. Then the guitarist's girlfriend runs up to him saying he's won the lottery and they both skip off to the Bahamas. They need a guitarist to carry on..."

Are you good enough to play in that band.

If not, then learn to play first. Get a decent guitar and amp to practice on in your home and to jam with friends. Put the hours in and get good enough to join that band.

Then join a band and then worry about the PA and lighting.

i am not sure judging on what you are saying.

do you have a large vehicle and/or trailer to bring all of the lights and PA to the gig?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am not sure judging on what you are saying.

do you have a large vehicle and/or trailer to bring all of the lights and PA to the gig?

No I mean I think that the op is focused on the periphery, on the looks and big stage sounds rather than the hard work and long hours working out licks, riffs, rhythms and so on from the recordings of his favorite bands to get good enough to play with that imaginary band.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Plus, if one pedal dies, it's just one pedal. If your MFX or modeler unit dies, you lose everything.

With pedals, there's the fun of assembling your tonal chain: what pedal goes where? What happens when you change order? Because order DOES matter.

What happens if you use multiple effects pedals of the same type...though not necessarily the same brand? Some cool things happen when you have multiple delay pedals set differently, or using different OD pedals for clean boost and distortion.

Worth noting that you can set up most of the MFX units with multiple delay pedals set differently in the editing software (or, I suppose on the tiny screens on the modelers themselves). You can tweak your tonal chain endlessly in a good MFX setup, and that includes the order of things.

The really good news is that you can switch instantly between setups with an MFX unit. Can't do that with discreet pedals.

If you lose your modeler dies, you do lose everything. Which is why the earlier discussion on the expensive of backups, and the reason I usually keep the modeler in the backline with the pedalboard out front. Then again, I"ve seen a damaged power supply take out an entire group of pedals. *FzZzZT!*
Quote by squidlips

All good. Thing is, you don't need to spend a lot of money on guitar and amp (or MFX unit) to do that. Carlos Santana's current main touring amp is a Mesa Boogie with thrashed snakeskin covering that he bought back before there were model numbers (pre-Model 1, etc.), sometime in the '70's. He's *also* got some other heads and cabs that he switches in and out occasionally, but that old Mesa is his core unit. He usually puts on one guitar at the beginning of the night and finishes with it.

Don't assume that bar music is "noise." EVH played bars in Marina del Rey. Cheryl Crow the same. Sometimes people appreciate talent more than fancy lighting.