I am a very basic beginer with an acoustic guitar.

I would like to purchase either a basic PA or a basic amp - I think that I will get better feedback while practicing versus the natural sound from the guitar.

I have no plans to play in any venues - this is solely to assist during my practice.

Since I am a basic beginner, I am not fingering or picking very loud/hard.

So, I think an inexpensive basic PA or amp would be beneficial.

PA or Amp?

which one and why?

PA and Amp recommedations - please.

thanks
If you must I would get this:
https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/EON10G2%5B1%5D.pdf
It covers the full guitar spectrum pretty well and sounds warm and natural. It also has a small mixer so you could add another guitar or mic if you did want to gig at some point. I question why though. If you are not performing live it seems it would just overly complicate your learning process. One of the great things about acoustic guitar for me is shedding all the other "stuff" and just playing organically. If you can't hear yourself, just play louder?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Get an acoustic preamp and a powered speaker, especially if you like singing. Its arguably as good as a lower tier dedicated acoustic amp. You can plug in a mic or keyboard or whatever. Fishman makes a decent preamp that costs bout $100 but there's a lot of options, including acoustic mfx.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Cajundaddy
If you must I would get this:
https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/EON10G2%5B1%5D.pdf
It covers the full guitar spectrum pretty well and sounds warm and natural.
I wouldn't get anything unless you had to gig, and these speakers in particular have two big flaws imo:
1. they don't sound big
2. they're not loud

I'd go for some used active yamaha's, mackie's or jbl's with 12" speakers at least.
Smaller ones usually sound pretty thin in my experience.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Well Spam, he wants it for his bedroom so I don't think big or loud are top priorities at this point. I have gigged with the EON 10s often and they do a great job of covering the acoustic guitar and vocal range. Also good for about 115db which is more than enough sound for an acoustic gig in a restaurant or coffeehouse.

When was the last time you gigged with these on acoustic guitar over in Italy? I didn't even know they made a 220v 50hz version. Do you actually have first-hand experience with EON 10s or are you simply regurgitating what someone else said on the internet... who also had never actually used them?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 8, 2014,
I used them for an acoustic gig (my voice and my classical guitar mic'd up) the week before last year's christmas.
I had them plus a mixer plus a nanocompressor and I had a friend of mine try a song out just to see how the thing sounded and how to adjust stuff and so on.

I was in a hallway, something like 30x5x4 meters, and the thing did sound pretty weak to me.

Didn't use any transformer and the box said EON10G2, so I guess they did make them for the italian market :p
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Sorry Spam, not buying it. A Rolling Stones concert is 110db and these EONs will do that all day @1m. Their response curve is close to an EVM12L and no one ever called the EVM weak or thin. Perhaps it wasn't a product issue but you simply didn't understand how to use them properly.

Thanks for the feedback
I have purchased (with a return option)) a Kustom Sienna 30 acoustic amp. It seems to be more then I need but it sounds great and seems to be giving me solid feedback.
If I should advance in my playing ability then this amp seems to have growth options for me.
^ well good for you TS, have fun!
Quote by Cajundaddy
Sorry Spam, not buying it.
Oh well I'm a spambot after all, I can't just go around expecting people to trust what I say.
Quote by Cajundaddy
A Rolling Stones concert is 110db and these EONs will do that all day @1m.
Though the place was pretty large and the people were at more than 1m and most weren't really in front but on the sides.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Their response curve is close to an EVM12L and no one ever called the EVM weak or thin.
I fail to see why you would trust that kind of loudspeaker's specs sheet, that was also provided by the manufacturer.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Perhaps it wasn't a product issue but you simply didn't understand how to use them properly.
Well that wasn't really nice y' know.

I mean I wouldn't obviously say I can't properly use that kinda stuff because I don't think so, and that wouldn't mean anything, but that really wasn't nice at all y' know.

As cath said I've yet to find some less than 12" pa speakers that are more than glorified toys.
Well go find a pair, try them and see how you like them.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at May 12, 2014,
My Neighbor got a Kustom acoustic 16 a couple months ago and I would recommend it to anybody looking for a bedroom amp. It's not really loud enough for gigs but could be miced and I think it's got a line out too but don't remember for sure. They can be found easily for around 30 quid used.

I use a PA for my acoustic playing but even with an acoustic preamp (presonus acousti Q) it's difficult to get the EQ right and there are feedback issues. An acoustic amp is voiced for the acoustic so it filters out a lot of what causes feedback without hurting your overall tone. The acoustic amp might not have the versatility of a PA but they tend to be much easier to use so if you just want it for acoustic in your bedroom get a cheap acoustic amp.
Not taking any online orders.
Cath likes everything big, heavy, and loud. Nothing wrong with that as long as he is still willing to carry it around. Probably not your best reference for an acoustic bedroom rig though.

JBL EON 10s kick serious ass for medium volume acoustic gigs so the "toy" analogy is complete nonsense unless you don't understand how to use the gear properly. They would not be my choice for a full rock band but just right for acoustic or jazz stuff when you don't need to reinforce a bass guitar or kick drum.

I'd buy a mixer and a couple of powered 12" or 15" two way bins. Go for something half decent like Yamaha, Mackie, JBL, etc. It's something that you can expand on easily later when you want to take your shit on the road.
And look used for the bins, PA gear often gets sold off quite cheaply. It's the first thing people sell off when they give away gigging.
As for the mixer, used is ok if it's a good brand, just look at it closely for signs of neglect like drinks spilled on it and such. And avoid Beheringer, don't let the price tempt you, they're PA gear is rubbish.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Acoustic guitar just needs a wider range of output to sound good. Thus you'll see acoustic amps with a closed-back ported 12" cabinet (for the bottom end) coupled with a tweeter for the highs. The Carvin AG100D is classic in this regard:

A new version, the AG200, has 200W (RMS) and uses a pair of 6.5" woofers and a tweeter and retains the three-channel mixer (voice/guitar and bass capable). Both have available extension speakers identical to what's in the primary unit, both can be put up on speaker stands like a PA:

That's pretty cool. I'd still go for a small modular PA system though - simply as a future proofing exercise. You can never have too many powered bins. One day you'll want more and instead of having to buy a whole new system you just add to it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification