I'm in the market for a Noise Gate Pedal, any suggestions?
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
really only

the ISP Deciimator
boss ns-2
mxr (can't remember the name on the top of my head)

i haven't ever needed one, but from just hearing other guitarists who use it or play through their rigs, ISP seems to cut the least of the good off. by that i am saying that you don't lose as much sustain dynamics with it.

its only as good as you set it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I really like my NS-2. It gets rid of 99% of the noise my preamp generates, and that's saying a lot because I've got a 6505. I run it with the 4 cable method, so it gates both my guitar/TS-9 and the preamp and any other effects in the loop. I bought it mostly because of the preamp noise though.

The only issues I've had with it were user-error. I had it set too aggressively and at a gig once, it cut out some of my notes that were executed with lighter picking dynamics. It can be fun to run it maxed-out for ultra-tight start/stop riffing, but that's about all those settings are useful for. I now just set it to eliminate the preamp noise and rely on proper palm muting when I play that stuff. That way every nuance of my playing comes through, including natural feedback.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
NS-2 so much less cash than an ISP. It does exactly the same thing if not more with the loop in it. If you want the 4 cable method with ISP prepare to shovel out twice as much for the g string model.
The ISP Decimator G is the gold standard here, by a good distance. The NS2 is usable, as are the others. Your budget will determine the rest.
MXR Smart Gate
Very, very effective. Ive had mine longer than any other pedal on my board and if it crapped out, id buy another.
I use the MXR noise clamp, it's works on the same system as the ISP decimator G-string and the boss ns-2 in the fact that it utilises an effects loop to sit at both the beginning and end of your signal chain (kind of) so it can gauge with greater accuracy whether you're actually playing or not . Tried both the ns-2 and the noise clamp and much preferred the noise clamp, highly recommend it. I found the ns-2 coloured my tone a bit but plenty of people think otherwise so it's preference really. I've heard all of the ISP noise gates are gold though, if you have the dosh, Mxr noise clamp as a cheaper alternative works perfect for me though
Quote by KailM
I really like my NS-2. It gets rid of 99% of the noise my preamp generates, and that's saying a lot because I've got a 6505. I run it with the 4 cable method, so it gates both my guitar/TS-9 and the preamp and any other effects in the loop. I bought it mostly because of the preamp noise though.

The only issues I've had with it were user-error. I had it set too aggressively and at a gig once, it cut out some of my notes that were executed with lighter picking dynamics. It can be fun to run it maxed-out for ultra-tight start/stop riffing, but that's about all those settings are useful for. I now just set it to eliminate the preamp noise and rely on proper palm muting when I play that stuff. That way every nuance of my playing comes through, including natural feedback.

I have a 6505 as well, so with the 4 cable you can gate the line in (and any pedals before input, my boost generates quite a bit of noise) and the effects loop?
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
I have a 6505 as well, so with the 4 cable you can gate the line in (and any pedals before input, my boost generates quite a bit of noise) and the effects loop?

Yes. Exactly