Hi everyone,

I apologise if this post is in the wrong place. I need some mega help in finding a new guitar!

I've had a Les Paul Jr. Special for over a year, but its really messed up my shoulder. It's just too heavy for me, and I have to see a Chiropractor at the moment. Its a shame as I really like this guitar a lot.

A guy I know recently bought a Gibson Firebird, and its so light in comparison! I really need some options for a guitar that is of a similar standard/price to my Les Paul, but a lot less heavy.

I've tried looking online a while, and it seems like you can get all the information you want about a potential guitar, just not the weight of it.

Any help with this is seriously appreciated Thank you.
Quote by sparklybumblebe

I've tried looking online a while, and it seems like you can get all the information you want about a potential guitar, just not the weight of it.

Any help with this is seriously appreciated Thank you.

Well, I can help with one thing; the reason that you can't generally find the weight is because wood - being a natural material - is inconsistent. This means that guitars from two different batches of wood could be different in weight by up to 2Ibs. Stores can't risk giving a weight because if the one you get is lighter or heavier than what they listed, they'd get complaints.
I'm sure that if you contacted a store and asked how much a specific guitar weighs they'd tell you
www.sweetwater.com lists the weight of each individual guitar. Great place to order from also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know that this may be on the opposite side of the spectrum, but why not get a Strat? They're usually lighter since Alder is a lot less dense than mahogany. You could give it a try and see how it goes.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I have 2 LP Studios, one is made of mahogany the other is swamp ash. The swamp ash guitar is half the weight of the mahogany model.

If you're happy with the LP you have for everything except it's weight, I strongly suggest trying a Swamp Ash Studio.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
semihollows would be lighter as well. or they make chambered les pauls which would be a little lighter.
Some of the newer Gibson models are weight relieved. it's probably best going to a store and trying some out if you can.
Quote by chrisyoonyoon
where i'm from it's very different with emotionships
Quote by staxxxmcgee
Gibson SG or Epiphone G400, very light and very "heavy" ( I love puns)

yes I have Gibson SG Standar it's good, The guitar itself seems a masterpiece to me. I'm no Guitar Tech but I've been told that since Gibson and many other companies moved away from handcrafted to maching made instruments that the quality just isnt the same. In spite of that the guitar seems flawless to me.
Sg
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Hey, I play now an Epiphone 335, they´re semihollow so it´s really light and has great tone. Plus, they´re just beautiful and not expensive.
I have two American Standard Teles, one is so light that it is neck heavy and the other is quite heavy. Weight is not consistent when it comes to guitars.

SG's are quite light, but they are also quite fragile and neck heavy. Hard guitar to recommend, as I just think they are such a flawed design.

Flying V is what I would recommend. Great when sitting down also I think.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Most of the recommendations, above, are probably far less helpful because, as the OP noted, very few manufacturers publish weights. The reason they don't is because wood varies widely in density for a particular species. You can weigh individual guitars, but that's about it.

The other reason most of the recommendations aren't helpful is that they're all for guitars that are still relatively heavy on average. "Weight relief" on most Les Pauls keeps them from going over 10 pounds, but most of them will still be 8.5 pounds or more even with "relief."

There are guitars that are truly light.

Parker guitars has models that are in the five pound range (some under); look for the Fly, the Stealth, Artist hardtails.

Carvin has the outstanding Holdsworth Headless. With a full 25.5" scale, 24 frets (with amazing upper fret accessibility), 20" radius fretboard, Jumbo frets and a chambered body, this guitar weighs in at 5.1 lbs (hard tail) or 5.8 lbs with trem.

Since it's essentially a semi-custom guitar, you can order it with changes such as stainless frets, a variety of woods, and much, much more. http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/hh2 I live in SoCal and the Carvin store here in LA is an easy drive. The factory (and the factory store) is about 100 miles down the road toward San Diego, so I've had the opportunity to try out several of these guitars, and it's definitely on my short list.

There's also this: They've managed to get that full 25.5" scale into a guitar that's just 31" long. That puts this guitar into "travel guitar" territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQUQhsRnqlU
Well one of the lightest guitars I can think of would be a Jon Kammerer Chameleon. @$1500, it's a full-scale, small-bodied semihollow that weighs around 5lbs. If you get one made with Lace Alumitones, it may be under 4lbs.
http://jonkammerercustoms.com/help-template_012.htm

The Rock Beach Mantis (@6lbs) and Cicada (@5lbs) are also full-scale guitars.

More traditionally, you might consider looking at Reverends, since they are all made with Korina, tonally similar to but lighter than mahogany.

Then there are guitars like the DBZ Royale or Imperial, and the Dean Zelinsky Zenyatta, which have extremely thin bodies, keeping their top weights under 8lbs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dspellman
Most of the recommendations, above, are probably far less helpful because, as the OP noted, very few manufacturers publish weights. The reason they don't is because wood varies widely in density for a particular species. You can weigh individual guitars, but that's about it.

The other reason most of the recommendations aren't helpful is that they're all for guitars that are still relatively heavy on average. "Weight relief" on most Les Pauls keeps them from going over 10 pounds, but most of them will still be 8.5 pounds or more even with "relief."

There are guitars that are truly light.

That's what I was thinking. (I don't have any experience with the specific ones you mentioned but I agree that I was looking at some of those suggestions and thinking, "You've never had any back problems, have you?" )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Definitely Sweetwater. I got my american standard strat from there. 6 lbs.11 ozs. You can compare individual guitars by weight and see photos of each one. Then order by serial number. Call them and they'll email you the photos too.
Last edited by Spud Spudly at May 8, 2014,
Please don't post in old threads.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!