Hello all,

I'm a beginner Guitar play (or rather, I want to learn Guitar) and i was wondering:

Are there any good songs that i could start on to learn the basics of Guitar playing?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away

Thanks -

Iwantastrat

EDIT: I apolgize if there's a general thread for this, hope i'm not breaking any rules, I'm kinda new here
Last edited by Iwantastrat at May 8, 2014,
Quote by Iwantastrat
Hello all,

I'm a beginner Guitar play (or rather, I want to learn Guitar) and i was wondering:

Are there any good songs that i could start on to learn the basics of Guitar playing?

Thanks -

Iwantastrat

EDIT: I apolgize if there's a general thread for this, hope i'm not breaking any rules, I'm kinda new here

You should focus on songs you already like, since motivation is really the big issue with beginners. You'll lose interest if you start learning generic crap, and you won't be doing society a favor either....

What song or songs are inspiring you to play guitar? Throw me a few suggestions and I'll tell you if they're accessible to a beginner.
The first song I really learned was Seek and Destroy by Metallica. Most of it is pretty easy, except the solo the riff leading into the solo. It's a good introduction to several basic metal/rock techniques.

I don't know if it's the best for a total beginner, though. I think I learned it after about a month of playing, and wasn't exactly playing it super well.

For the very first thing to learn, you could always just go with that Smoke on the Water riff that everyone learns.
Quote by Iwantastrat
Hello all,

Thanks -

Iwantastrat

Start off just playing simple chords (e, a, d, c, g) and find songs u like with them
Depends what you want to play. It's probably best to learn some chordal songs first like some of the Beatles songs, or Oasis songs etc. If you want to play more rock/metal, stuff like Iron Man by Black Sabbath or Enter Sandman by Metallica are good to start. And look on Youtube how to hold a pick/guitar if you don't know already.
Quote by chrisyoonyoon
where i'm from it's very different with emotionships
justinguitar.com has a good selection of songs geared to go with each level of his lessons (which are excellent and well-organized). The first songs just use E, A and D. If you're learning, I highly recommend this site in general. It's a great resource and it's free with any contributions being completely voluntary. It took a year and a half, but I recently finished the Beginner course.
Quote by reverb66
What song or songs are inspiring you to play guitar? Throw me a few suggestions and I'll tell you if they're accessible to a beginner.

One of the songs that made me want to learn Guitar was 'Hey You' by Pink Floyd. I listened to it and i quite liked the Guitar in the Background.

Another one was 'Stairway to Heaven' (I know, a bit too common among beginners) and as that is possibly my favorite song, I wanted to see if i could learn it on Guitar.
Pick any of those songs to learn. I learned the sweet child of mine intro riff, the offspring self esteem, and 2 acdc songs ( I want to say TNT and back in black). Besides that I had a major scale in second position that I used for hand warm ups (a friend taught me that, I had no idea what it was or the position, that all comes later).

You need to learn songs that you can easily hear in your head or they will be difficult to learn. I picked those songs as none of them use full chords (which I personally think is a terrible way to start playing guitar, as full chords are very strenuous and hard to switch between, especially for beginners) and I knew them all very well from childhood.

I find it entirely useless when people tell you to learn Twinkle Twinkle Little Star or Oh Suzanna as your first songs, because that's not what I listened to, even as an 8 year old I was into The Offspring, Metallica and GnR. It is much easier to learn to play songs you actually like. Just pick an artist you personally love, and find a simple song they do.

If you don't know which songs are simple, just ask the nice folks around here. Most of them are pretty cool.
Quote by hansome21
Pick any of those songs to learn. I learned the sweet child of mine intro riff, the offspring self esteem, and 2 acdc songs ( I want to say TNT and back in black). Besides that I had a major scale in second position that I used for hand warm ups (a friend taught me that, I had no idea what it was or the position, that all comes later).

You need to learn songs that you can easily hear in your head or they will be difficult to learn. I picked those songs as none of them use full chords (which I personally think is a terrible way to start playing guitar, as full chords are very strenuous and hard to switch between, especially for beginners) and I knew them all very well from childhood.

I find it entirely useless when people tell you to learn Twinkle Twinkle Little Star or Oh Suzanna as your first songs, because that's not what I listened to, even as an 8 year old I was into The Offspring, Metallica and GnR. It is much easier to learn to play songs you actually like. Just pick an artist you personally love, and find a simple song they do.

If you don't know which songs are simple, just ask the nice folks around here. Most of them are pretty cool.

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to do that