I've got me a wee little orange micro terror I use as a bedroom practise amp at uni and for small venues and it works great apart from there's too much dirt. I can barely turn the gain past 10 o'clock without dialing in some distortion so I was considering replacing the 12ax7 preamp with a similarly spec'd 5751 tube or even a 12AY7/AT7. Would this give me more 'clean headroom'? I know the term has some ambiguity so I guess I mean will the amp stay clean at louder volumes or, because there is less output, will it still distort at the same volume but the gain knob is more sensitive ie would 1o'clock be the new 10'o'clock if you get what I mean?

I've read in some places that replacing the preamp valve doesn't make amps much cleaner because you're still going to push the power amp valves into distortion at the same volume but since this amp has a solid state power amp stage I was wondering if the same applied? All technicalities I just laid out aside, I'm basically asking if replacing the preamp valve will make my micro terror cleaner for longer.
Why not keep the gain below 10 and use the volume knob? There is no power tube distortion in the micro terror.
I do at the moment but sometimes (especially live venues) with volume on full there isn't enough volume, the only option is to then turn up the gain which distorts it unfortunately
Ah, the missing piece of the puzzle. If you lower the gain on the input stage with a different tube then in my estimation it's just going to reduce the level going to the power amp. Nothing solved except how high you can turn up the gain before it gets dirty. The amount of output volume is probably limited by the power amp. So you can either get a more powerful amp or mic it.

I would not anticipate that amp would be adequate for a live venue without micing it anyway.
Quote by jfduncan
Would this give me more 'clean headroom'? I know the term has some ambiguity so I guess I mean will the amp stay clean at louder volumes or, because there is less output, will it still distort at the same volume but the gain knob is more sensitive ie would 1o'clock be the new 10'o'clock if you get what I mean?
It doesnt, really.
In audio equipment, headroom is the range going from the max RMS power of an amp to it's maximum peak power.

To stay clean at higher volumes anyway you need a bigger power amp.

Placing a lower gain tube in the pre would make your gain control sell sensible - as fly135 correctly said, you'd get less gain from the preamp.

Mic something like that indeed at gigs, if you have the 1x8" cab get something proper, and if you already have a proper cab I guess it's time to get a new amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ yep you need a bigger amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Bigger amp, or a mike in front of the cab. Those are pretty much your only choices. Or a Pod straight into the PA. But now we are talking money again.
Mic in front of the cab is the cheapest and easiest solution.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the responses guys, I guess I'll have to look into getting a bigger amp, was wondering if there was a cheaper option but oh well, thanks anyway!

Also thank 'spambot_2' for clarifying that, I've seen people use it to describe a variety of similar things before
Quote by jfduncan
Also thank 'spambot_2' for clarifying that, I've seen people use it to describe a variety of similar things before

Well they do describe it in different ways.
That's a hell of a luck they invented encyclopedias isn't it!
So next time, do your part in making the world a better place and correct them

Anyway, we didn't yet get what cab you got yourself there...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Certainly will do!

Oh right and yeh, I'm using a couple of their 1x8 cabs they came with, daisy chained together to make a 'micro stack'
Quote by jfduncan
Certainly will do!

Oh right and yeh, I'm using a couple of their 1x8 cabs they came with, daisy chained together to make a 'micro stack'

Getting a 1x12 or 2x12 cab with some efficient speakers like V30's would deff make it louder, but I still don't think it will have near enough headroom for cleans
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Mic'ing the amp is the best way to go
Picking up a 1x12 cab would definitely help, but you'd still need a mic for it to clean up at band volume
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Mic'ing the amp is the best way to go
Picking up a 1x12 cab would definitely help, but you'd still need a mic for it to clean up at band volume

I agree
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate