I mean I hear a lot of people say the drums should always come first. I don't feel like there is a right or wrong way to do it but playing drums to a click track with no guitar takes away the feel a little bit. I was wondering if I should record a rough guitar track first, then track drums, delete the guitar, and re do it. I think guys who have recorded their own albums are good people to answer this for me. This is my first album and I want to do a good job on it. I put a lot of work into the songs now it's just a matter of fitting everything together.
Last edited by NWD2100 at May 8, 2014,
Unless the drummer knows each song beat by beat and can play it with no accompanying instruments - yes, recording guitar scratch tracks are what's usually done.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
This may be less relevant coming from me, since I use Superior Drummer and have no experience recording real drums, but I like to record over a midi file of the whole song. This isn't practical for people that don't write in Guitar Pro like me, but for my own purposes I've found that it really helps my timing to do so.
For me, having a very solid idea of where everything goes is the most important thing. The better idea I have of what I want to go into the track, the better. I have a notebook and I make charts and diagrams and whatever else I can think of to make sure I have the structure down.

If you're going for solo recordings (you're in your bedroom recording), put together a VERY basic drum track. Just kicks, snares, and maybe hats. Jam to it and record until you get something where you're 'feeling it'. Do that for everything then go back and make changes to drums so they match up to the feel of the song.

If you're in a band, record a jam (do it a bunch of times until everyone sounds tight and awesome) but ONLY mic up (or midi out) the drummer and possibly (really good idea) have an overall track for reference. Everyone else plays over the drum track (striving for 'dat feels') you miced up and the drums are (possibly) re-recorded or re-sampled later.

I've used both methods in the past and they seem to work the best for me.

EDIT: Otherwise use a click track. I prefer to start with drums because click tracks suck, but in all actuality, your drum tracks in the beginning are just scratch tracks and are working as a more 'accurate to the music' click track. But 'starting with drums' kind of applies at the same time. Complicated shit... :-/
Last edited by mjones1992 at May 8, 2014,
Another idea you could try is running a long headphone out to ur drummer from ur amp and play ur guitar so your guitar doesnt pick up on the mics.
Yes, definitely do scratch tracks. But don't substitute them for a click, you still want that.

When my band did our last album, this is how we did it:
1. Mic guitars/bass/vocals/anything-not-drums in a room with the drums and drummer.
2. All (inc. drummer) play the song with a click in our ears.
3. Mic drumkit and record drums with scratch tracks AND click through headphones.
4. Record bass/guitar/vox to drum tracks (and other scratch if necessary). I would recommend doing it in that order because that's the normal way a band locks together (bass locks into drums, guitar locks into bass, vocals sit on top).