I have a strat with three single coils in it. Im wanting to replace all the pickups putting a single coil in the neck and middle position and a humbucker in the bridge (HSS)

If i do this is it still sensible to have a reverse wound single coil in the middle or doesnt it matter?
It doesn't matter per se, but it doesn't provide any benefit to have both single coils wound in the same direction if that's what you were considering. The reason that the middle pickup is reverse wound is that the hum produced by the middle pickup is cancelled by the neck when both pickups are selected. Having both pickups wound in the same direction will work fine, it just makes little sense to do it that way.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 9, 2014,
If you wire the guitar to the original wiring scheme where the neck and middle can be selected then yes, it would be beneficial to have the reverse wound. If you wanna do some whackadoo shit with it then not so much.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Yeah i know about the hum cancelling thing, so its not completely necessary?

Im just asking cos im struggling to get a RW version of a pick up im after and was wondering if you could just go ahead with two "normal" ones
Quote by TheStig1214
If you wanna do some whackadoo shit with it then not so much.

OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster

It;s true. Some guys have position 4 as neck and bridge for some surf rock sounds.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It doesn't matter per se, but it doesn't provide any benefit to have both single coils wound in the same direction if that's what you were considering. The reason that the middle pickup is reverse wound is that the hum produced by the middle pickup is cancelled by the neck when both pickups are selected. Having both pickups wound in the same direction will work fine, it just makes little sense to do it that way.

I've heard some claims that it sounds slightly quackier if not rwrp- if you're trying to get as close to vintage tone as possible it might make sense to get it not rwrp (i assume a similar logic is why noiseless pickups rarely sound 100% authentic, since arguably some of the "tone" is in the "noise" which is cancelled with noiseless pickups).

all that being said, i'm guessing the difference is somewhere between "pretty subtle" and "nonexistent"...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well it does actually yield a slightly different sound, aside from obviously being non-hum cancelling. A tele has both PU wound the same way which is supposed to partly give it the 'tele' sound (although I'm sure other factors have much larger effects), but to simply answer your question, yes it will work absolutely fine.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've heard some claims that it sounds slightly quackier

More "vernacular."
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?