Hi guys,

I'm just starting to learn ed Zeppelin's Since I've Been Loving You and apparently it uses the C Natural Minor scale for the opening licks.

I've just been looking at an instructional video and it claims that the C natural minor scale has the same notes as Eb major. Played a couple of licks and it fits. I thought that the natural minor/aeolian mode came from the 6th degree of the scale? There isn't an Eb in the C maj scale. Just googled C aeolian scale and the notes are same as Eb Major scale. WTF?

I'm so confused, can anyone put me out of this misery?
Quote by marshall55
Hi guys,

I'm just starting to learn ed Zeppelin's Since I've Been Loving You and apparently it uses the C Natural Minor scale for the opening licks.

I've just been looking at an instructional video and it claims that the C natural minor scale has the same notes as Eb major. Played a couple of licks and it fits. I thought that the natural minor/aeolian mode came from the 6th degree of the scale? There isn't an Eb in the C maj scale. Just googled C aeolian scale and the notes are same as Eb Major scale. WTF?

I'm so confused, can anyone put me out of this misery?

There isn't an Eb major in C major simply because it's not in C Major. Conversely, C minor is not in C major either.

It seems you're either stressing yourself out too much with modes or too little. First, you have to look behind the notes and look at the relationship between each notes.

In aeolian's case:Whole-half-whole-whole-half-whole-whole
Or: 1-2v3-4-5v6-7-1(8)

Substitute letters for numbers and you get C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb-C
Now instead of seeing it as a long string of notes, look at it as a circle, and you'll get
...C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb-C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb-C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb-C....

A never ending loop of notes.
Now, if you take Eb and 6 other notes after it, you'll get
Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb-C-D-Eb
Which is the Eb major scale.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Hey, thanks for reply.

Got it. I'm not looking for the relative minor scale for C major, I'm looking for the C minor scale which has Eb as it's relative major key. 6th degree of Eb is C so I wasn't going loopy after all.

Thanks
yep, exactly. you were thinking of C as being the I, whereas Eb is the I (and C is the vi). That's why it didn't work out. there's an Eb in C minor and a C in Eb major, in other words.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 9, 2014,
C minor is the relative minor of Eb major. C is the 6th scale degree of Eb major.

C major's relative minor is A minor.

Terms:

Relative minor: the minor scale contained within the major scale, ie C maj and Am

Parallel minor: the minor scale starting on the same root, ie C maj and C min
Last edited by cdgraves at May 9, 2014,