Page 1 of 3
It's actually shocking how often you hear people having cancer around you once you pay attention. It's like a goddamn epidemic. Someone always knows someone who has it, or has had it or is going through chemo.

I have a theory that it all comes from sugar. A German scientist won a Nobel Prize nearly 100 years ago proving that sugar fuels cancer. What happens next? The food industry sticks sugar in everything. Voila! Cancer.

Inuits, for example, eat lots of meat and they hardly got any cancer cases, if any.

This is a rant. Rant with me folks. Fvck cancer.
I am actually strongly in favour of cancer, it's underrated and gets too much bad press from the media.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Scientists say a lot of things cause cancer
But yes I agree with you.
Quote by chrisyoonyoon
where i'm from it's very different with emotionships
Quote by Philip_pepper

Inuits, for example, eat lots of meat and they hardly got any cancer cases, if any.

Well that's because they eat meat, we eat meat with tons of f*cking chemicals and whenever we are sick, we eat even more chemicals. F*ck dem chemicals, yo.
Error 404 - Signature not available.
Nothing to do with sugar or our "bad" lifestyle. We live longer than we ever have despite all these things that are supposedly bad for us.
The reason why we have more and more cancer is that we can cure almost all the other diseases. This means that you won't die from Malaria, Flu, plague or whatever in western countires. But in the end everybody's going to die so we die from the few things that we're unable to cure (cancer, heart attack...).

It's just maths, 100% of people die. If less people die from one thing (bacterial and viral diseases from example), more people are going to die from something else (cancer, heart attack).

As for inuits, they die 10years earlier than 'regular' canadians which wouldn't happen if their lifestyle and food were healthier than ours. Inuits don't get cancer because they die before getting one, it's just that simple.
Last edited by Footos3003 at May 9, 2014,
Quote by Footos3003

It's just maths, 100% of people die. If less people die from one thing (bacterial and viral diseases from example), more people are going to die from something else (cancer, heart attack).

what the hell
Quote by stratkat

Dude, could I bum one of those?

No but seriously, I've been hearing a lot more about cancer cases these past few years. A few people I went to school with actually have gotten cancer.

I blame the chemtrails.
Quote by Footos3003
Nothing to do with sugar or our "bad" lifestyle. We live longer than we ever have despite all these things that are supposedly bad for us.
The reason why we have more and more cancer is that we can cure almost all the other diseases. This means that you won't die from Malaria, Flu, plague or whatever in western countires. But in the end everybody's going to die so we die from the few things that we're unable to cure (cancer, heart attack...).

Inuits don't get cancer because they die before getting one, it's just that simple.

Came here to say this.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
what the hell

I don't really see what's funny, it's quite easy to understand. With the advances of medicine we can cure almost every disease. With the advances of society, we can reduce the risk of dying from food poisoning or other accidents. In fact we have reduced most causes of deaths.
But in the end, even if you survive all of the existing diseases and dangers in life, you'll end up dying from a cancer at the age of 70, 90 or 100, because until now we haven't found any immortal man.
Even if you can cure a cancer, another one will show up later.

If we see more and more cancer cases it's because we don't die from anything else, and we live long enough to have cancers. You can see that countries with the highest cancer rates are also the countries with the highest life expectancy.
So unless cancers are all happening at the age of 30, having more cancers just means that we live in an extremely safe society
Last edited by Footos3003 at May 9, 2014,
Quote by Footos3003
You can see that countries with the highest cancer rates are also the countries with the highest life expectancy.

i call bullshit
Quote by Cardbored
i call bullshit

I don't, the longer you live the higher your chances of getting hit by a bus are.

It applies to pretty much anything if you think about it. Gives it more time for it to happen.
Everything that helps cells grow causes cancer. And everything that damages cells causes cancer. So basically anything.
Cancer is a multifactorial disease so there are LOTS of valid explanations for why many people have cancer.

I hate cancer too
cat
Quote by Philip_pepper
Someone always knows someone who has it, or has had it or is going through chemo.
I actually don't.

I guess I'm lucky.

stratkat
Quote by stratkat
I don't, the longer you live the higher your chances of getting hit by a bus are.

It applies to pretty much anything if you think about it. Gives it more time for it to happen.

When you say it like that it makes sense. I read it as "there's a lot more people getting cancer in countries with high life expectancies".
Quote by EuBoat
I actually don't.

I guess I'm lucky.

You are lucky.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Footos3003 has hit the nail on the head

Also, isn't cancer caused by cell mutation? and rapid cell growth? which are both caused when something goes wrong when the DNA gets copied when the cell divides?

The way I understood it was the more times your cells divide, the more likely an error will be made in the DNA/Genomes, and after a while these errors accumulate and start causing problems which can lead to cancerous growths. So because we are all living longer there's a higher chance of us having these errors and the problems.

Remember that 200 years ago the average life expectancy was 40-50. And people were probably still suffering with cancer, but we just didn't know what it was and was diagnosed as something else.

But yeah, cancer sucks. The methods of treating it at the moment are as destructive as they are helpful
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Oh_My_Goth
Well that's because they eat meat, we eat meat with tons of f*cking chemicals and whenever we are sick, we eat even more chemicals. F*ck dem chemicals, yo.

You could be right but that would be pure dumb luck.

Truth is, one of the biggest mistakes in the past century or so was letting the public use words like 'chemicals', 'all-natural' etc.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I predict cancer will be cured (or easily treatable) within our lifetime, maybe even within the next 20-30 years. So quit all the hatin' cuz when it's gone and people are dying from vomiting out their intestines or some shit then ya'll be missin' cancer.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
You could be right but that would be pure dumb luck.

Truth is, one of the biggest mistakes in the past century or so was letting the public use words like 'chemicals', 'all-natural' etc.

Or letting the government use things that are 'chemicals', 'not-natural' etc.
Cancer sucks.

However, when I hear about adults with Type II diabetes, I instantly assume they are fat, white trash that ride around Walmart in one of those scooters and laugh at them while simultaneously being disgusted.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by ChucklesMginty
My father was diagnosed with Myeloma last week.

He already had prostate cancer and they're unrelated. It's tough.

I personally blame UKIP.

Damnnnn, I'm sorry to hear that.
Most cancer is caused by changes in DNA which result in the improper formation of cells. Carcinogens such as those found in tobacco smoke and other oxidized substances such as burnt meat, literally work their way into and in between your DNA which alters how the next replication forms.

When your cells attempt to "Reprint" this DNA, they find a massive chunk of shit that isn't supposed to be there, but they have to copy it anyway because its the only thing they have.

Its like playing the telephone game.

I'm studying physiology at the moment and plan on moving onto grad school with a hope that I can do research to help stop these kind of diseases. The ultimate goal I have in mind though, is to completely stop death. I don't know if its possible, but I'm not sure how many modern scientists/doctors go into the field with this large of goal in mind, so I'm certainly able to try.
Cancer comes from a poor immune system. If people were educated about what the body needs everyday cancer would drop.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
The ultimate goal I have in mind though, is to completely stop death.

I hate to be a debbie downer, but that's just trying to play God. There will always be death, it's just part of the cycle.
No not really. You can keep living cells living forever. But not neorotransmitters and neurons. Those will die. Playing god is nothing like human biology. Playing god would be creating matter.
Obviously people dying from cancer is a bad thing, but cancer itself might very well be invaluable for our expansion of knowledge in the field of medicine. Immortal cell lines, such as HeLa, are derived from cancer and have many research uses.

In my opinion, cancer might be the most important factor in one day achieving human immortality.
Yes, I fucking hate it. 2 of my grandparents were killed by it. On the bright side when my uncle got stomach/esophageal cancer and was given a 10% chance to beat it/live past 6 months he beat it, that was like 12 years ago and he's doing great.
Page 1 of 3