Android
36 57%
Windows phone lol
3 5%
I am a philistine and haven't got a smartphone
15 24%
Voters: 63.
Page 1 of 2
http://recode.net/2014/05/08/android-users-are-more-likely-to-take-the-bus-while-the-frequent-fliers-choose-iphones/

It’s fun to study the differences between iPhone and Android users.

BlueStacks, for example, once created a portrait of what the typical Android user looks like.

But in an era where companies are spending big money on mobile advertising, understanding the demographics can make a big difference to the bottom line.

With that in mind, Battery Ventures decided to do its own research.

“You would think iPhone users are all pinot-drinking yoga enthusiasts,” said Jonathan Sills, the Battery Ventures entrepreneur-in-residence who conducted the firm’s study. Well, that’s at least partially true.

It turns out more iPhone users do in fact prefer wine to beer. They are also more likely to own stock and to have flown on a plane in the past year. Meanwhile, Android users are more likely to rely on public transportation, describe themselves as religious, have eaten McDonalds in the past month or to smoke tobacco.

The study found Android and iPhone users equally likely to be homeowners or to own a gun.

Also noteworthy is that even where there are differences, Sills said many of the differences go away when the user base is adjusted for income.

Still, understanding the user base demographics as a whole can help, say, an airline or car company trying to decide where to spend its mobile ad budget.

If you are not thinking about that, Sills said, “you are missing out.”

Interesting stuff but pretty useless when it's adjusted for income. iPhones don't do any cheap phones but there's a multitude of cheap phones running Android so that's the reason for the discrepancy. You probably won't find a majority of working class people with an HTC One.

What do you think? I think iPhones are just a lazy option for people who can't be bothered and just want a controlled experience, and whilst a lot of Android phones are cheaper, if you're really looking for a super-techy phone you'll get a higher end Android

inb4 "lol android users are poor"

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Idk if there's lines for the newest android, but I know I'd want to market shit to iPhone users. They seem like the type to make micro-transactions and impulse buys.
I'm only basing that on the ridiculous hype everytime a new version comes out.

I own a burner flip phone.
Last edited by stratkat at May 9, 2014,
I am currently stuck between buying an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy. Either way, I'll be abused for what I buy.
This is very true. I am classy.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Try asking someone why their iphone is better than your Droid.... the only answer you'll get is "because it's an Iphone" people only own Iphones simply because their Iphones.
I have an android because I like keyboards and small phones and smartphones.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
....then the homeless.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
They use a better phone too.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by folkguitar12345
Try asking someone why their iphone is better than your Droid....

The correct answer is because they have better things to do than arguing with a neckbeard.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If someone goes about their life judging people on what cell phone they use; you should probably just walk off a cliff.

Also, wine tastes like shit.
i feel like tech geeks are more likely to use android, and tech geeks tend to not care about being classy and living lavishly
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Redsectoreh

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
this is actually kind of funny, in China it's the opposite (sorta), the Chinese slang for iphone translates to "street phone" because everyone has one (although authenticity is a real question), and honestly apple products are mostly for people who just want it to work well (not the best), but don't want to have to research the product and are willing to pay a premium for that luxury
Quote by Redsectoreh
If someone goes about their life judging people on what cell phone they use; you should probably just walk off a cliff.

i think it's wrong to tell people they should die for judging people. is judging good? no. but so is wishing death on somebody for doing it

~~lolmnt~~
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I think iPhones are just a lazy option for people who can't be bothered and just want a controlled experience, and whilst a lot of Android phones are cheaper, if you're really looking for a super-techy phone you'll get a higher end Android

Yup. I have an iPhone, but only because I'm forced to use it for work. If I had a choice, I'd get an Android.
Quote by Redsectoreh

You might want to make sure it was wine you were drinking...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Nokia 3310 master race reporting in
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by folkguitar12345
Try asking someone why their iphone is better than your Droid.... the only answer you'll get is "because it's an Iphone" people only own Iphones simply because their Iphones.

I can't find any evidence to the contrary.

Maybe you can find it on your Iphone's tiny, tiny screen?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
The problem with anything that Apple makes is that it's annoying to develop programs for. As a programmer, I dislike that.

I also find Apple products to cost more than Android phones.

Windows phones are basically neutered versions of Windows 8 tablets, lol. It's not bad. It's just not great either.
macs are better computers too
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

macs suck dog ass
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by lolmnt
macs are better computers too

lol u wot?

they look nice and basically not much else unless you're in a certain industry.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Different things work for different people. I have a hard time trusting the credibility of ANY study, usually.

I worked for many years repairing cell phones and selling cell phone accessories. I ended up respecting Apple products for a multitude of reasons:

Repairability: The parts for most iPhone models are readily available, and can be repaired by local businesses for relatively cheap compared to other phone models. The same goes for add-on accessories. This worked wonders for our shop

The problem with other smart phones is that there are SO MANY. HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc. release hundereds of phones every year, hoping that one will be as successful or at least as popular as an iPhone, but the accessories, cases, and repair parts are different for each and everyone and the availability and variety varies from phone to phone, making it difficult for local businesses to cater to everyone.

Software: Like the repairability and accessories, the iOS is fairly consistent from model to model, Androids and Windows phones have different versions of OS to accomodate for each model. Not all phones have expandable memory, or a front facing camera, etc.

When you buy a new phone: This didnt become apparent to me until I switched from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5S. The switch was so smooth, i was very impressed. I walked into the store to buy my 5S, and in less than 10 minutes everything that was on my 4 was on my 5, including all my pictures, contacts, text messages, everything carried over with no issues. Its been such a headache in the past getting all my contacts and everything from my old phone to the new one, and this was somthing I really appreciated. The same goes for cloud back - if there is ever any kind of disaster that destroys your phone, or your phone is stolen, if your phone is backed up to the cloud you get everything back - of course some people have an issue with this becuase it raises privacy concerns.

The thing I hate about Apple products is iTunes. Its a huge pain in the ass, and if you could navigate the phone and manage your files without it, it would be much better.

As I said before, different things work for different people, but its the compatibly and the consistency the makes the win for me.

Just my two cents.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i feel like tech geeks are more likely to use android, and tech geeks tend to not care about being classy and living lavishly

This isn't even true. If you're a developer, you'll most likely have a bunch of different phones, and the "tech geeks" use whatever they like. I'd say most developers probably use the iPhone as their primary personal device though.

Anyway, about the "study," that's not surprising. The iPhone is targeted toward the high end exclusively. Android can be run on anything from budget phones to high end devices. If the study focused only on the iPhone vs. flagship devices like the Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3, the HTC One, LG G2, and the Sony Xperia Z1 it would be more interesting because those are the devices that actually cost as much as an iPhone.

Quote by Vypor

When you buy a new phone: This didnt become apparent to me until I switched from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5S. The switch was so smooth, i was very impressed. I walked into the store to buy my 5S, and in less than 10 minutes everything that was on my 4 was on my 5, including all my pictures, contacts, text messages, everything carried over with no issues. Its been such a headache in the past getting all my contacts and everything from my old phone to the new one, and this was somthing I really appreciated. The same goes for cloud back - if there is ever any kind of disaster that destroys your phone, or your phone is stolen, if your phone is backed up to the cloud you get everything back - of course some people have an issue with this becuase it raises privacy concerns.

You realize this is the exact same thing on Android right? You log into your Google account when you first turn on your new phone and all your contacts, apps, pictures, etc. will immediately sync to the new phone.
Last edited by TheChaz at May 9, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
lol. Macs.

I thought you have a degree in Computer Science.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
lol u wot?

they look nice and basically not much else unless you're in a certain industry.

As compared to what? Windows machines?
Quote by TheChaz
I thought you have a degree in Computer Science.

See above where I talk about how I dislike programming on Apple products.

Why do I dislike it? REASONS.

Quote by TheChaz
As compared to what? Windows machines?

Yeah, Windows machines are fairly terrible (in particular Windows registries...ugh), but that's where the money is, so to speak. Most companies use Windows machines.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 9, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Most companies use Windows machines.

cuz they're dumb noobs

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by TheChaz

You realize this is the exact same thing on Android right? You log into your Google account when you first turn on your new phone and all your contacts, apps, pictures, etc. will immediately sync to the new phone.

No, this was not something I was aware of actually. I did have a roomate that just switched from an HTC Vivid to a Samsung Galaxy S5 and all the apps were not compatible with both phones. He was able to get his contacts, but they were all organized differently and had strange symbols. He had to go through all of them to get them how he wanted them again - kind of a headache.

Of course, he was switching from HTC to Samsung which is probably the reason for the compatibility issues, but that furthermore re-inforces my point that compatibility differs from model to model, as Android runs on more than one type of device.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
See above where I talk about how I dislike programming on Apple products.

Why do I dislike it? REASONS.

Meh, the majority of the development community would disagree with you.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Yeah, Windows machines are fairly terrible (in particular Windows registries...ugh), but that's where the money is, so to speak. Most companies use Windows machines.

Most businesses running Windows machines don't purchase or upgrade software for years though. And that doesn't really have anything to do with the comment that Macs "look nice and not much else." Macs have a more stable, secure OS with a wayyy better CLI than Windows, the hardware on the Macbooks is the best there is in that category. Desktop Macs, meh. I'd rather build a hackintosh for cheaper, but it's pretty damn hard to beat the Macbook line when it comes to laptops.

Quote by Vypor
No, this was not something I was aware of actually. I did have a roomate that just switched from an HTC Vivid to a Samsung Galaxy S5 and all the apps were not compatible with both phones. He was able to get his contacts, but they were all organized differently and had strange symbols. He had to go through all of them to get them how he wanted them again - kind of a headache.

Of course, he was switching from HTC to Samsung which is probably the reason for the compatibility issues, but that furthermore re-inforces my point that compatibility differs from model to model, as Android runs on more than one type of device.

The only apps that would be incompatible would be the HTC apps which shouldn't have even attempted to transfer since they weren't downloaded from the Play store with his Google account. Unless the apps were old and the developer abandoned them. As for the symbols in the contacts, if they were synced to his Google account, that shouldn't happen. Any other type of transfer, anything goes.
Page 1 of 2