I've been playing jazz 3's for a few years and love them but am starting to get tired of them. I've tried the big stubby and I like the size but don't care for the material or the flexibility of it.

I've been thinking about biting the bullet and trying something like the gravity picks or the hufschmid drop plectrums. I've heard very good things about them but was curious if anyone has any testimonials about these?

I'm looking for something just slightly bigger than the jazz 3 and something that will help me hold onto them a little better as my hands sweat a lot when i play. I've also heard that having a significantly thicker pick (3-4mm) will help keep your hand more relaxed while playing.

Thoughts?
Quote by andrerist

I'm looking for something just slightly bigger than the jazz 3 and something that will help me hold onto them a little better as my hands sweat a lot when i play. I've also heard that having a significantly thicker pick (3-4mm) will help keep your hand more relaxed while playing.

Thoughts?

I've used the Big Stubbies for quite a while (3mm). My favorite, though, is the Gravity Razer in 2mm and 3mm. It's got a sharper point then the Stubbies and a less-rounded shape. My only gripe is that they're relatively expensive. OTOH, I rarely lose an expensive pick (I've got my original Gravity Razer and have had it for a couple of years now). I have bowls (literally) of Pick Punch picks that I set out when I have my pick-thieving friends/guests around, and the good ones never come out.

The Razer I have seems to be the "Standard" -- but they make smaller versions. The Razer standard is smaller than a standard medium Fender in shape already, but I think it's a bit larger than the Jazz III. Give him a call; he can probably tell you immediately which pick is slightly larger than the Jazz.

Flexibility isn't an issue with a 3mm Razer (there isn't any), and I prefer it that way. I think it's a bit more precise.
Quote by dspellman
I've used the Big Stubbies for quite a while (3mm). My favorite, though, is the Gravity Razer in 2mm and 3mm. It's got a sharper point then the Stubbies and a less-rounded shape. My only gripe is that they're relatively expensive. OTOH, I rarely lose an expensive pick (I've got my original Gravity Razer and have had it for a couple of years now). I have bowls (literally) of Pick Punch picks that I set out when I have my pick-thieving friends/guests around, and the good ones never come out.

The Razer I have seems to be the "Standard" -- but they make smaller versions. The Razer standard is smaller than a standard medium Fender in shape already, but I think it's a bit larger than the Jazz III. Give him a call; he can probably tell you immediately which pick is slightly larger than the Jazz.

Flexibility isn't an issue with a 3mm Razer (there isn't any), and I prefer it that way. I think it's a bit more precise.

I'm thinking of getting the variety of thicknesses for the classic style in the big mini size, that seems to be just a little bit bigger than a jazz 3. Do you find that they are worth the money?o
Dunlop did have Jazz iii carbon fibre max grip picks. Jazz iiis with a cat-tongue grip on them. (They're nice but I like the Ultex jazz iiis better...)
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
Dunlop did have Jazz iii carbon fibre max grip picks. Jazz iiis with a cat-tongue grip on them. (They're nice but I like the Ultex jazz iiis better...)

I've tried every variation of jazz 3's i could find, used the max grips for a while, went back to the standard ones. I didn't like the tortex ones, just found them to be uncomfortable. And I didn't like the black carbon fiber ones, way too slippery and felt like i couldn't keep a good grip on them and i didn't like the way they felt against the strings.
I've tried a bunch of different picks. I'm a big fan of stone- jade and agate are what I have, but there are others:

http://www.stonepicks.com/jpicks.html
http://www.picksandstones.com
http://www.dugainpicks.com

Stone picks have a nice stiffness to them, of course, and can glide on strings like glass. Almost frictionless. You DO want to get one with some texture or other design feature to aid in gripping them, though.

The jade ones I own are kind of like Stubbies. My agate ones are a mixed bag- some are just flat. Others have depressions for the thumb and forefinger.

FWIW, I actually like the CF picks I've owned, and also some copper ones, too.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 9, 2014,
From picks slightly bigger than the Jazz III I like the Planet Waves Black Ice picks, they have a smooth surface, but work really well if you have issues with the pick slipping due to sweat because of the material they're made of - it was the main factor why I enjoyed them a lot in the first place. The thickest gauge they have is 1.5 mm though.

I've gone the exact opposite route though, I had been playing Black Ice for a longer while, then decided to try out Jazz III, and now I'm obsessed with them. :P
My favorite picks ever are my Ice Pix. I trim them down a bit to a slightly large Jazz III shape with a dremmel and file and sand the edges so they don't cut my strings.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Have you tried Dunlop Ultex Sharps? I find them to be a great compromise. Sharp but not too sharp and normal pick sized. They have a bit more traction than the tortex ones and are harder to drop too. Plus of course, they're cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Petrucci Jazz picks are in between a Jazz 3 and a normal sized pick. Made of ultex, 1.5mm thick, and a nice bevel like the ultex sharps. The texture is nice as well so you won't drop it.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
I've used Ultex for a few years, now use those red jazz 3's, because I didn't like the sound, but that's a taste thing, they are nice picks and I wouldn't mind playing with them if needed.

Actually thinking about it, they also were bigger and I think I changed to jazz solely because they are smaller.

About ur hand being more relaxed with a different pick. Your hand is as relaxed as you make it. I can pick straight 16th notes at 120 for 4 minutes straight and I don't feel a single thing. You should be able to pick with neglible energy used.

On a 2nd note, you mention non relaxed hands, sweaty as well. It could be your technique is not that good and you tense a lot, which would also give you less relaxed hands, sweat, and feelings of uncomfortable picks feeling.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at May 10, 2014,
Teckpicks for me - they're made of metal, and they're sharp to get a really nice sound for metal (duh), but you can also grip them way back and use 'em for chords better than most thick picks
Quote by drop1337
5 bucks per pick lmao

5 bucks a pick for something i won't lose versus 8 bucks a pack for something i don't mind losing. all about how you look at it.

I love the sound of jazz 3's but i'm just getting kind of tired of them and am finding them to be just a little too small at this point. However, i also feel like full size picks are too big and clumsy.

I'll have to give the pettruci picks a shot and just poke around at guitar center before i bite the bullet and order some of the gravity picks. I was planning on getting the multi thickness pack so i can see what I like and what thickness works for me.