I'm thinking of picking up a Crybaby 535q wah pedal but I have a few questions i was hoping someone could answer:

1) If I plug it straight into my amp, with no other pedals or pedalboard, and use the distortion thats on the amp, will the distortion still work?

2) How is it powered? Does it come with a plug into a wall or do I need a battery source. If so, does it come with it?

Thanks for the answers!
1. How would the pedal stop your amp's distortion from working? All the wah does is modulate the sound going into the amp. It can't retroactively remove distortion.
2. 9V battery or you need to buy a standard Boss style 9V adapter. Some of the old 535Qs (earlier than 2006, IIRC) use an 18V supply.
Quote by Roc8995
1. How would the pedal stop your amp's distortion from working? All the wah does is modulate the sound going into the amp. It can't retroactively remove distortion.
2. 9V battery or you need to buy a standard Boss style 9V adapter. Some of the old 535Qs (earlier than 2006, IIRC) use an 18V supply.

So I should be set if I pick up a 9V battery? Thanks for the answer
Oh and I thought I read somewhere that it removes distortion. They must have been talking about true bypass or something and I got confused.
Last edited by joe783 at May 9, 2014,
true bypass won't remove distortion

and yeah a battery should work in a wah, most wahs have very low current draw. just remember to remove your guitar cable from it when you stop playing or the battery will drain. that's one of the reasons I use adaptors, even aside from having to replace batteries, having to constantly remove tons of patch cables is a pain in the ass...

EDIT: if the adjustable in-built boost goes below unity gain, that could "remove" distortion. Just like turning down your guitar's volume control (ok, not exactly the same, but similar result). Assuming you're using amp distortion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 9, 2014,
Quote by joe783
How is it powered? Does it come with a plug into a wall or do I need a battery source. If so, does it come with it?

You can either use a 9V battery (the connection for the battery is on the bottom) or use a Dunlop 9V adapter. I forget if it comes with the pedal, though I'm pretty sure it does. If not, you can get it for $7 on Amazon.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson