I have a late 90s model American-made Fender Deluxe strat (HSS).

I'm considering selling it and buying two guitars. I paid around $800-$900 for it. What I'd like to get, and this is only an idea in my head that I haven't fully decided on yet, is a telecaster and possibly a Gretsch. I don't have to spend a lot on either. I could get a used telecaster in the $300-$400 range and a Gretsch in that same range. I realize that neither guitar would be of the same quality as my American-made strat, but that doesn't mean they can't sound good.

Anyway, a few questions:
1. Am I going to be disappointed going from playing a $1500 guitar (that's what the newer models sell for) down to playing a $400 guitar?

2. How much do you think I could get for my strat? It's sunburst with a black pickguard (think Stevie Ray Vaughn's guitar). I just had the frets resurfaced and the whole thing setup.

3. Overall thoughts on this whole situation?

Thanks for any and all opinions.

EDIT:
A little more info in case it's needed:
Artists: I play guitar for a worship band, so the sounds I really like are stuff from people like 'Hillsong United', 'Bethel Live', 'Jesus Culture', 'Deluge', 'Elevation Worship' etc.

Preferences:
None really that I haven't already mentioned.

Pickups:
Not sure here... I think I want a humbucker on the bridge, but I'm not married to the idea.

Current Gear:
I'm playing through a recently purchased Line 6 POD X3 Live running directly into a DI. I've also just recently started purchasing some stomp boxes and I'm trying out using my X3 Live as just an amp modeler and I'm using stomp boxes for effects. I've purchased a couple of JOYO pedals (they have great reviews and they are sort of like clones of other more expensive, more famous pedals).
Last edited by JustinSummerlin at May 9, 2014,
According to the trending prices on eBay, $780-930 for a 98 version of that model
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Anyone have any thoughts besides the amount I could get for my guitar? I'm interested to hear opinions of selling a nice guitar and buying 2 semi-nice guitars.
Try both guitars (the tele and whichever Gretch model you like) and if you like 'em both, enough to part ways with your Strat do it. At the end of the day the price tag on a guitar does not matter, if love your instrument and it makes want to play more then it then buying it was the right decision.
Maybe buy one of similar quality, save up and buy the other one later.
Personally, I'd keep the strat and just save up for the others.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by JustinSummerlin
Anyone have any thoughts besides the amount I could get for my guitar? I'm interested to hear opinions of selling a nice guitar and buying 2 semi-nice guitars.

You'll be disappointed in both. Save up.
You won't necessarily be disappointed. I like my 350 tele as much or more than my 1050 dollar strat.
Quote by JustinSummerlin

Sometimes, less expensive guitars can be surprisingly good, and more expensive guitars can seem lacking for their price. Also, if you go shopping used, you can occasionally find some killer deals.

But unless you're actually having issues with that Strat, I'd say its more likely you'll be disappointed than pleasantly surprised. The odds favor keeping the Strat.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 12, 2014,
Quote by JustinSummerlin

well look for used guitars for starters and your cash will go further. if you bought a used HSS MIM strat and perhaps the gretsch or one of the artcore series Ibanez guitars used and perhaps put a little cash into a good setup and perhaps better pickups then you probably would be just fine. have I done this in the past yes. did I regret it no. the big thing is to take your time and get the right (for you) guitars and look for deals. I bought a MIM strat last year as a back up for my Strat Plus. got it used for $300 from GC. great thing was that the last owner had installed an LSR roller nut and sperzel locking tuners on it (and other mods). it's a set of Lace Sensors away from being basically the same as the Plus.
Something to consider, a Gretsch hollow body is a completely difference guitar than your strat in almost every way. I'd make sure and do some research as well and trying a few out before taking any decisions.

If you ask me, I'm in the save up for another guitar camp. Your strat will last more than a lifetime and is a very good guitar.
Quote by JustinSummerlin

moving backwards.

unless you have the need for a second for a different function.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I own some nice, expensive guitars and some budget guitars. I would not get rid of my good ones for 2 decent guitars unless I absolutely needed 2 guitars.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i flog expensive gear for cheaper gear all the time. there's nothing wrong with that.

only time will tell if you can be happy with it.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 14, 2014,
You can list it for $900 or so, but you may be waiting a while for a good solid bite on it. Yours sounds nearly identical to mine (mine is a 2001 model), and I paid $750 for it, and I probably wouldn't have bit on it if it was in the 800s or higher. All depends on what people are willing to pay. Some areas have thriftier people, and some have more people who don't mind paying more.

If you're trying to achieve different sounds, then going from a higher value guitar to two lesser valued guitars can work out quite well, as long as they play well and stay in tune. You can always play with new pickups and swap pots, etc. down the road.
My Stuff:

Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
An amp that is purple.
Vintage Gibson GA-5
Two modded TS9s
Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor
Last edited by Doge_Swerve at May 14, 2014,
Thanks for all the opinions!

My intention is that I think the Gretsch and the Telecaster both provide a sound that is more desirable for worship style music. My strat sounds great too, but I don't think it has quite the sound that I want for what I play.

However, having said that, I think I'm just going to keep it and save up for those guitars in the future. My wife (along with your opinions) was one of the biggest factors. She said she would rather I just buy additional guitars instead of selling my current one. I was like whaaa....

On a COMPLETELY unrelated note, any of you need a website designed? I'm willing to barter guitars for my service.
Quote by JustinSummerlin
However, having said that, I think I'm just going to keep it and save up for those guitars in the future. My wife (along with your opinions) was one of the biggest factors. She said she would rather I just buy additional guitars instead of selling my current one. I was like whaaa....

On a COMPLETELY unrelated note, any of you need a website designed? I'm willing to barter guitars for my service.

Sounds like you have a keeper!

I believe the classifieds board would be the proper place to barter.
My Stuff:

Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
An amp that is purple.
Vintage Gibson GA-5
Two modded TS9s
Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor
What amp are you using? That might be part of the reason you're not getting what you want.
Quote by JELIFISH19
What amp are you using? That might be part of the reason you're not getting what you want.

+1

also have you looked into other pickups?

you may be able to keep a guitar that is nice with exactly what you want for $50-70 per SC,

i have lace pickups in an tele (from the factory 1996 Deluxe TELE Plus), oh my god they are different than the SC's i have in my tele.

just look into other things before you jump.

edit: i wrote strat sinstead of tele in one point.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at May 14, 2014,
+1 on Lace.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I, too, question this notion that cheaper guitars are going to be worse. I was shopping for strat-like guitar a week ago, went to local guitar store, tried two American made strats with $1k price tags, neither played all that well, neither did their $800 Tele. I decided to try every strat-clone there, just to compare. Wound up getting Yamaha fat-strat clone for under $300 that just "felt right" and had build quality that, to my mind, was equal to the American Fenders, and some of the differences actually seemed to weigh in favor of Yamaha, like it had a type of neck joint that gave crazy amount of sustain. The neck was super playable, etc.

Instead of setting on wanting a particular make / model guitar, I would recommend going to a shop -- preferably with nice selection of used guitars at reasonable prices -- and just trying out a bunch. You may find your "favorite" of the guitars is even less than $300.

Now, if your current guitar "fits" you and plays beautifully, then I would question selling it because having that kind of connection to a guitar is special. But if it's "just a guitar" and does nothing special for you, by all means sell it and try to find one that speaks to you, has that special mojo, or whatever. But don't put yourself in this box of assumptions that cheaper = worse, and keep an open mind about guitar options.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
i still am saying keep the strat, if its comfortable in your hands, you can get about any tone out of it. SSS HSS HSH HH P90 with something. the only limitation would be a little cash. you could totally change your tone.

the question shouldn't be "what should i do to get two new guitars " but "do i want to part with it and is it worth something that you could NEVER get back?"

you have to choose. i doubt you will get >$700 maybe a tad more if you include a case.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by krm27
and some of the differences actually seemed to weigh in favor of Yamaha, like it had a type of neck joint that gave crazy amount of sustain.

What a well made neck joint? because things like set neck, neck thru don't have " more sustain" than a bolt-on, just because. How well the neck joint is will help determine the sustain, and then there are many more factors to consider also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
What a well made neck joint? because things like set neck, neck thru don't have " more sustain" than a bolt-on, just because. How well the neck joint is will help determine the sustain, and then there are many more factors to consider also

+3.1415 the neck joint is important but mostly being able to get where you need to get. some people can't (for some reason i do not know) i can bend the 22nd fret on my teles, and that is a block joint, nice and tight. i can get to the 22nd and bend it with no issue on a les paul.

look at a washburn nuno guitar with the steven's extended cutaway. or a PRS CE. than IIRC some of the older strats had three bolts for a short while.

also if you are talking about a set neck, its tenon size/length plays a role.

carved bolt-on joints (thinking ibanez prestige RG's) are very nice to play and i prefer it to neck throughs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Robbgnarly

It has some kind of through neck, don't know enough about labels to be sure I'd use right "label" for it, but having seen picks of the neck taken off this type of guitar, it has a piece that seems to extend very far into the body. I read that WAS related to the sustain, which seemed like common sense though I'm no expert, that the tighter, more solid the join is between neck and body, the more these are truly like a single piece of wood, then that might affect sustain. Or, to put it another way, any looseness between neck and body, however imperceptible it may be when you hold and play the guitar, could to some extent act as a dampening agent to whatever tone you are creating?

Well, again, I have no degree in sound physics or anything, it just seemed to make sense to me. I've read articles saying how through necks are better than bolt ons for sustain in general (though I guess there are always exceptions).

This particularly Yamaha SE612A also has a VERY heavy body (basswood) compared to all the other strat-type guitars I've held and played, including USA made Strats, even though it appears to be the smallest of them all in terms of actual size/length...not by a lot, but it just feels like I'm holding a slightly smaller guitar, frets tend to be a bit closer, neck a bit narrower. Would not be good for some one with chunky hands/fingers, I think. Maybe this is "in my head," but that's how it looks/feels to me. And for it to be on the small size AND the heaviest...well, I guess my "gut" level common sense -- without any training or education -- tells me this is probably also a factor (maybe the primary factor) in the amazing sustain this guitar provides.

Ultimately, the point is that you can get great quality for less money if you shop wisely and do your research, or just go to a guitar shop and play everything with an open mind (and with open hears) and look closely for yourself at the fit/finish/tonal qualities/playability WITHOUT worrying about the label on the headstock, and you may very well find the "best" guitar for you, based on your eyes, hands and ears, is a "cheaper" model.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
LACE GOOOOOLDS!

I hear good things.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.