Hello everyone! I have been playing on my rig that i put together and i have been having some trouble. I just cant seam to get a good tone without making it muddy.

I am playing on a peavey ultra 1X12 with a WSG Vet speaker and i have changed out the preamps. I have my ESP EC-1000 going through a bad monkey OD into a Boss noise suppressor into the front of my amp. i also have an equalizer and a chorus in the effects loop.

I have tried to use just the amp but my pulm mutes just sound weak and it doesnt sound as heavy and punchy as i would like. i have also tried using just my OD with the level at amount noon and the gain completly off which results in a sound with highs that really hurt my ears. I have also tried to use the my EQ pedal to get rid of some mids and add a little more base and that doesnt sound good either.

What do you guys think? I am looking for a 80s metal tone like Metallica very punchy but not pushing the treble so it hurts my ears to play. What can i do with what i have to get a good metal tone!!

THANKS!
Last edited by ENISA at May 9, 2014,
Your amp is capable of those tones by itself.

what EQ settings on the amp are you using?
What is the presence set at (if the amp has one)?
Have you changed the power tubes yet?

I know you bought the Vet 30 from others and my recommendation, but you may prefer a darker speaker. The Vet 30 is a good solid choice for that amp though and should still sound great.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 9, 2014,
Well, the only eq knobs that od pedal has is a low and high. I would start simple. Take the equalizer and chorus out of the loop for a minute and the od pedal. Put your amp on clean and eq it to have a nice rich clean clear sound. Then turn you od pedal on and turn up the gain. Set the level. Then adjust the high and low to it. You might need some new pickups. My guitar sounded muddy when i had the stock pickups in. But you can then turn your equalizer on, set that, then the chorus effect. Good luck
Quote by Robbgnarly

what EQ settings on the amp are you using?

Gain-6 Base-6 to 7 Mid- 1 High-7 to 8

Have you changed the power tubes yet?

I have not changed my power tubes yet just the preamps

Also I Just unplugged the imput and output for the effects loop and it seamed to make the sound a lot stronger. Im not sure if that might just be a problem with my amp or?

My pickups right on my guitar are good i have EMG 60 in the neck and 81 in the bridge
lol

Your mids are way too low and your treble is way too high. Bass is probably too high as well, as is the gain. Start with everything at noon and work from there. Don't scoop all your mids and for the love of god if you don't like bright sounds, don't turn your treble so high up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^ yeah

on the bad monkey try the bass on 12 o'clock, treble on ~2 o'clock, drive at 0 and level on full.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
More mids less treble and gain
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
I have a very simple tip: set your knobs at noon, then work your way from there WITH YOUR EARS.

And mainly, when adjusting bass, emphasize the bottom 2 strings; when adjusting mids, emphasize the middle 2 strings; and when adjusting treble, emphasize the top 2 strings. It'll make the difference in tone more apparent.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Quote by ENISA
Also I Just unplugged the imput and output for the effects loop and it seamed to make the sound a lot stronger. Im not sure if that might just be a problem with my amp or?

My pickups right on my guitar are good i have EMG 60 in the neck and 81 in the bridge

If anything your mids should be the highest setting. That's where most of the punchy, in your face metal tone tends to come from. Also, the human ear hears mids the best. So, good tone = more mids.
i always started with

mid-12 o clock
bass 1 or 2 o clock
treb 3 or 4 o clock

then just adjusted accordingly.

gain and such just mess around with
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Ultras are very sensitive to tubes and tube type/brand.
How old are the ones in it now and what are they?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i like turning the gain down to a level that is below what i really want, then setting the eq, playing a variety of material with different techniques to make sure i'm not choosing settings that only sound good for a particular thing. then after i'm happy with the eq, i slowly turn the gain back up to the level of METAL!!! i want.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
If anything your mids should be the highest setting. That's where most of the punchy, in your face metal tone tends to come from. Also, the human ear hears mids the best. So, good tone = more mids.

I dunno. I'd say it depends on the amp. Marshalls are pretty middy (and the ultra is a hotrodded JCM800, far as i'm aware- or is it the vtm that is? or both? ), and cranking the mids on a middy amp can just lead to honk city, especially if you're using middy speakers like vintage 30s (wgs vet 30 is a glorified v30, far as i'm aware) and/or are using a tubescreamer-style boost pedal which is also almost all mids, and a bad monkey is more or less a glorified tubescreamer.

Don't get me wrong, setting your mids to zero (or close to zero) probably isn't the best plan... but that doesn't mean you have to lurch to the other extreme, either.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Watch these two videos, they're great for learning how to properly dial in a great tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRERK4PJpI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYtXBUS_kwY
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Try closing off the back of the cab if it's open back. Or push it against the wall or something.

That might help with the punch and cut down on some of the highs you're perceiving.

If not, try picking up a closed back 2x12 cab somewhere and get another speaker to go in it and run your combo head to it. 2x12 is always better for punch and may help with your treble problem.

I don't know how much i would trust the guy in those videos... I didn't watch those particular ones but i've seen others of his where he sounds like a total nub with god awful tone/playing and not even close to being in tune.
Last edited by drop1337 at May 10, 2014,
Quote by drop1337
I don't know how much i would trust the guy in those videos... I didn't watch those particular ones but i've seen others of his where he sounds like a total nub with god awful tone/playing and not even close to being in tune.

I didn't see any other of his videos, but in these two he gives good advice. You should've watched them before putting them into question.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
I didn't see any other of his videos, but in these two he gives good advice. You should've watched them before putting them into question.

Must be the Bugera.

But seriously, I agree that his tone is kind of ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh for some videos. Most of his videos are useful, minus when he cuts a guitar nut. He suggests picking at it and continuing to chisel the nut out of spec because its what he called "the more musical thing to do". Pretty sure I could hear Leo turning in his grave with that one.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
That how to get a metal tone video he put up I've seen before but I watched it again and I learned something new. Turning down the volume pot on your guitar. I am experimenting with that and I'm getting really good tones.
I always use the settings of 7.5 bass, 6 mids, 7 treble that creates the illusion of scooped mids and still has some definition, obviously you roll down the bass when your playing with a bass player. As for your bad monkey put the gain at no higher then 9 o'clock, crank the volume and eq to taste. Wait volume knobs have settings besides 0 and 11
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Thanks guy for all of the wonderful tips and suggestions. I backed off the gain tremble and also backed off the base a little. i also backed off on the guitar volume and tone from like 10 to 8 on both and that cleaned stuff up a bit. i then added the OD to that and it gave me a really nice smooth tone with more punch with the mids which i boosted to about 4. really appreciate all the advice.